Nathan Chen | Page 888 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

sheetz

Record Breaker
According to Mirai's IGS it looks like she's on her way to Japan now. Presumably it's the same for Nathan.

RainMaker

On the Ice
the only thing i hate about japan competition is that, the fans are now allow to visit or film the practice, while all other country, let them come and watch the practice. im not sure why that is..

1111bm

Final Flight
the only thing i hate about japan competition is that, the fans are now allow to visit or film the practice, while all other country, let them come and watch the practice. im not sure why that is..

I was gonna say the exact same thing, it is SO annoying, imagine all the nice footage we could have gotten (if some fans were so kind to share their recordings, of course). Especially since the skating in practice often looks so much cooler without the pressure of competing.

Besides that, I am happy to see Nathan skate an actual competition program again (at a comp, which means proper lighting!) but also dreading seeing his new FS. Pretty sure I'm not gonna like it except for the choreo sequence and final spin. I'm already not a fan of the few other parts we've seen at Sun Valley. And I hate the song and even if I didn't, I don't like its style for a skating program, it's too much of a pop song, it just doesn't excite me or make me wanna dance or anything. And it's such a shame, because I really enjoyed most of his music choices of the past years.

And I'm also afraid of seeing this year's choice of a temporary FS costume... if SV is any indication, I'm not gonna like it... :(

discode

Final Flight
Yeah, well I'm just looking forward to him see him skate again. It's been awhile! And I have high hopes this JO will be better than last year (though it's JO so I don't expect much lol). And am looking forward to actually see his full program finally.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I happen to think Rocketman could be very good. Partly because I do like the music but mostly because I think it suits Nathan's style. One year he skated to the Beatles song Golden Slumbers at SV and this music sort of reminds me of that in the way it's divided up into distinct parts.
https://youtu.be/6qrDlRsARwk

To be honest I think Golden Slumbers would be good for a competitive program for him, too.
------------------------
Nice ink drawing of Nathan's spread eagle
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3IYfsPnfv9/

1111bm

Final Flight
I wonder if the medley to Nathan's FS might entail a third song or piece from the Rocketman soundtrack? We only know of two songs for now, but maybe they put in a 'third act'. :think:
Although the way the SV version of the program was set up it does not support that idea.

I love the Beatles, as most do, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy a free skate program to their music, might depend on the exact song though. I think if it has to be a pop song, some rock songs or dance/blues type/more rhythmic songs lend themselves a lot better to skating (see Nemesis f.i.). And in general, I feel they work the best for SPs, since those are concise by nature. Land of all, even though it could be considered a pop song of sorts, was very ambient and about creating a certain mood, so imo it was a great fit for a free skate program.

discode

Final Flight
The 2nd song used is not from the Rocketman OST, but from a Revamp album with other artists covers. Not exactly sure why they used it since it's pretty much hated by everyone. :laugh: I'm going to have to see how it's cut though. But there actually is a Bennie & the Jets on the OST, but that's not what he uses from what I can tell. But, nah I think it's just the two songs.

1111bm

Final Flight
Oh it's not? :laugh:

Ah well, I just assumed. I thought that maybe it was one of those songs that are only played during the end credits.

It's not necessarily a song I personally would listen to, but with its beat and those variations in tempo (especially the rap part) it's not only a nice change of pace and a contrast to Rocketman, but also different from what you usually get to see in skating programs. It's obviously not super out there or unusual the way Rika's SP music is for example, hip hop music is very mainstream and popular of course, but we don't really see it used that much in skating, because it requires a different skating style than the usual gliding-and-having-proper-posture type.

Do you think he'll come up with a new exhibition program?
Maybe not now, but by Nationals, when he's had some extra time over christmas?

I wish he'd get one from an actual choreographer, even if it's 'just' Sam or Shae (as in: the same ones he's already using for his comp routines), but I'm afraid at the most he'll put together another self-choreographed program.

RainMaker

On the Ice
Gawd japan open the worst no new picture, no practice update, it like the event is cover by the FBI, while the shanghai china one has soo much content xD

1111bm

Final Flight
He looks gorgeous, it's just a few pictures, but he shows a different emotion and pose in everyone of them, his skating photographs so well because his lines and positions look so good, and not only when he's moving.
(see, I can see positives and don't have to be a downer all the time lol)

oly2018

Final Flight
He looks SO much older in the face than he did at Worlds. You can see the maturity shift in his skating, but it's still so strange to see.

1111bm

Final Flight
I don't agree, he still has that adorable baby-face a lot of the times and he certainly did not change in just half a year.
I think one has to go back something like 2 seasons to see a substantial difference and a more 'chubby-faced' Nathan. :laugh:

It's just that whenever he puts on his performance face while skating one of his programs, he ends up looking more masculine and mature. Because he's either giving us that fierce cool look or a more longing passionate expression for instance (cheerful and quirky Caravan being the obvious exception here).

I remember watching him skate to Nemesis and Mao's last dancer in the beginning of the 17/18 season at USICL and Rostelecom Cup, and genuinely thinking that he's somewhere between 21-23 years old. So I was a bit surprised to learn his actual age.
It was only after having seen some other footage such as interviews or social media content, that his real age became apparent to me.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I also think he looks noticeably older! He looked like a baby 2017-18 season, compared to now.

Happy to see him skate again and excited for his full FS!

Not expecting a new ex program though, he didn’t have one at SA last year.

shine

Record Breaker
I'm just glad that his skin looks so much better this time of the year compared to last season, and hoping very much this is a sign of him having learned to balance school and skating much better, which will hopefully reflect in his performance :D

I wonder if in those pictures he was practicing La Boheme? Those certainly don't look like Rocketman facial expression :biggrin:

sheetz

Record Breaker
I had to look up which EX programs he did last year. :laugh: No Good for SA and IDF and BFTE for GPF and Nats.

So maybe he'll repeat old EX programs until Worlds?

1111bm

Final Flight
I wonder if in those pictures he was practicing La Boheme? Those certainly don't look like Rocketman facial expression :biggrin:

Haha, yeah I also thought that they didn't seem to fit Rocketman, but I doubt he'd spend valuable practice time on a program he will only skate (if at all) at COI.

What if... he's decided to recycle LoA for JO, because he's not yet comfortable enough with Rocketman? But then again, SA is only two weeks away, and this is his only chance to try out his new FS in a comp setting. :think: