Shoma Uno | Page 759 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I thought that this story would be nice to share now that he has been struggling a lot this season :) I will continue to support him from now on!

Hello Vilya and welcome! Great first post!
Sounds like you found Shoma's Ladies in Lavender program! I'm happy to hear that his skating skills left such a great impression on you like he does for me too. :)
As you are in Finland, I'd like to thank you & country for hosting such a great event. I think worlds in 2017 was one of the best in recent times!

I hope he keeps Great Spirit because I would love to see a perfect version of it, it is so wild! But . . . don't hate me but his FP this season is like one of my least favorite programs he has ever done so I'm realllllllly hoping he changes it :slink: I'd rather he repeated any from a previous season, lol.

I think I am the opposite. I love his free program! It will be truly magical once he skates it fully clean, which I hope he can achieve at nationals! Having seen Great Spirit over the last 1.5 years I would be fine if he decided to change his SP next season.
That being said, if Shoma finally settles with a new coach later on, I suspect that Shoma might want to put this season behind him, in which case he could change both programs anyway. :laugh:

die Wolke

Rinkside
I thought that this story would be nice to share now that he has been struggling a lot this season :) I will continue to support him from now on!
It's such a lovely story :laugh:
Thanks for sharing!

That being said, if Shoma finally settles with a new coach later on, I suspect that Shoma might want to put this season behind him, in which case he could change both programs anyway. :laugh:
Yeah, this season is definitely not his easiest season.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Welcome, Vilya! I hope you will enjoy this thread and the FS! I also started with wow, that skater is something! during the Olympics, when I saw Uno, and now I am knee deep in favourites, tune into live-streams from work because I can’t take the suspense, and scour Internet to find a good way to watch Nationals... it’s cool!

Vilya

On the Ice
Country
Finland
Thanks for all of your kind messages! :)

Welcome Vilya! Thanks so much for sharing and supporting Shoma during this season! These are the qualities that pulled me in to being a Shoma fan when I started watching as well and contributed largely to my following the sport overall. There's no one who makes me feel so much through their skating as Shoma even when he is struggling.

My pleasure! I feel the same way, although there are lots and lots of other very skilled skaters out there, I just can't get the same "feeling" from them - even though they do always amaze me by their skills! :D

Hello Vilya and welcome! Great first post!
Sounds like you found Shoma's Ladies in Lavender program! I'm happy to hear that his skating skills left such a great impression on you like he does for me too. :)
As you are in Finland, I'd like to thank you & country for hosting such a great event. I think worlds in 2017 was one of the best in recent times!

Yup, that's the one! I binge watched probably every video there is about him on Youtube and naturally re-watched that program too, and wasn't surprised why it had stayed in my mind all this time ;) Happy to hear that Finland pleased you!

Welcome, Vilya! I hope you will enjoy this thread and the FS! I also started with wow, that skater is something! during the Olympics, when I saw Uno, and now I am knee deep in favourites, tune into live-streams from work because I can’t take the suspense, and scour Internet to find a good way to watch Nationals... it’s cool!

Thank you! I'm sure I will! I can totally relate, I keep finding myself browsing every social media there is to find more content about him maybe a bit too often these days... :laugh: I was working during Shoma's recent performances in Rostelecom and I was so nervous it was really hard to try to focus on my job :rolleye:

Personally, I really like both of his programs this season, but I would be excited to see new ones from him too so for me it doesn't really matter whether he will change them or not :laugh: Whatever works for him the best!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi! I'm new to this figure skating thing and been a fan of Shoma for a bit over a month now. I thought I would share my story of "finding" Shoma in my first post, because I think it tells a lot about Shoma and his skating :)

What a great first post! Thank you! I have been to many competitions, and I would say Helsinki Worlds probably has to be my favorite out of all of them. I loved your story about how you started following Shoma. I went to Skate America 2015 to see Jason Brown and left still loving Jason and also saying "Who was that little Japanese guy?!" It's funny how we all get started in the fandom in a different way.

Welcome to this year's roller coaster ride, or should I call it the Sholler coaster? Fasten your seat belt, we may be in for a wild ride! Welcome!

Vilya

On the Ice
Country
Finland
Welcome to this year's roller coaster ride, or should I call it the Sholler coaster? Fasten your seat belt, we may be in for a wild ride! Welcome!

Thank you so much! Shoma sure has proved his chaotic nature to me more times than is good for my health already but what can one do but love him anyway ;)
Can't help but think about how much easier and carefree it was to be a fan of some pop stars or other idols who don't have to compete to prove their skills... :laugh:

rabidline

Final Flight

Welcome to Shoma's Fan Fest, Vilya! Post often and have fun :agree:
Thank you so much for sharing with us your sweet story, and yes, let's support Shoma! My Shoma fan origin story is very similar to yours, complete with his Ladies in Lavender at Worlds 2017! It's lovely how Shoma connects us all through his skating :luv17:

I love both Grespi and DOMO (but then again, I'm not the best person to ask because Shoma can just skate around the rink and I'll love it) and whether Shoma keeps it for the next season or get new programs, I just hope that we'll soon have the opportunity to see him improve his condition and skate both programs cleanly with the best of his abilities!

For me there's no performance of Shoma's that's the exact same, so even with the big struggles this season, I still find it interesting to watch how Grespi (the SP version) and DOMO are growing. Each of the program showcases a different side of Shoma so it's really down to preference? With DOMO I feel it matures and flows better as the season goes (especially since Shoma got it so late), and with Grespi I just hope Shoma will get to a point where his physical and mental condition peaks to allow him to "attack" the program with no regrets. Lots of turbulent changes and growing pains this season, as well as less than ideal results, but... I'm here for Shoma's skating and it hasn't let me down yet.

Bcath

On the Ice
Well, my story about discovering Shoma started a bit prior to the 2018 Olympics. I had just completed a long academic program and stopped watching ice skating all together. But when I got back into skating, the men’s field was overflowing with excitement. Yuzu’s 2017 world performance roped me back into it all. I was not a Shoma fan at first. In fact, I was a little miffed that he got between Yuzu and Javi on the Olympic podium. Post Olympics, I started to check out other skaters and looked at some videos from Shoma’s childhood and teen years. I was astounded at his natural talent. By March of 2018, it was all Shoma for me and has been ever since. A bumpy ride but when he’s on, there is no one quite like him.

dramasocks

On the Ice
Hi! I'm new to this figure skating thing and been a fan of Shoma for a bit over a month now. I thought I would share my story of "finding" Shoma in my first post, because I think it tells a lot about Shoma and his skating :)

I was never really into figure skating before, it was just another sport among others, but I would sometimes watch it if it happened to be on television. Worlds 2017 were held in Finland and since I live there, I saw a part of the broadcast. I don't remember anything else about it really but for some reason the performance of a male skater in a very pretty blue top stayed in my mind ever after that - just the image of him being on the ice, really.
Two years after that, I happened to see the Finlandia trophy 2019 broadcast on television, and the moment Shoma started his FS I was like, hey that's the guy I remember! I watched his whole performance and was sooo impressed that I googled his name and well, here I am now.

The thing is that I understand absolutely nothing about figure skating (well, now a bit more that a month ago but still basically nothing) and had no emotional connection to the sport before, but for some reason Shoma's performance had that something that made me recognise him immediately just by his skating TWO YEARS after seeing him the first time. And if that doesn't tell something about the skating skills and uniqueness he possesses then I don't know what does.

Welcome Vilya!

Thanks for sharing your story of how you became a fan of Shoma's, and joining us in supporting him! Similarly, Shoma was the one who really captured my interest in figure skating, and from there I quickly found out that there's almost no escaping once he draws you in with his beautiful skating and artistry.

Ladies' in Lavender continues to be one of my favorite programs of his (I could talk about it for ages, but I won't here :laugh:). Glad to have you on board :)

I wouldn't be unhappy if he decided to reuse them, since his skating is just so enjoyable, and it’s interesting to see how his programs grow over time (kind of like we see with his exhibitions—This Town, See You Again...) but new programs are always exciting and a good fresh start :)

Looking at this season, I hope he's able to go clean on both and have skates that feel good to him. The really intense, energetic SP does a good job at highlighting how fast and explosive he can be, where sentimental, moving FS shows maturity and nuance and I think these programs are great explorations into different vocabularies of movement.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

c3zara

On the Ice
Country
Romania
Really nice This Town photos from the Rostelecom gala.
https://natashaponarina.com/shoma-uno-gala-rostelecom-cup-2019

Omg these photos are amazing :luv17: look at those edges, I could watch them all day

Welcomeeee, Vilya!
Your story sounds soo familiar. Ladies in lavender is my favorite sp.
You picked probably the most chaotic season to join :laugh:
Don’t worry, you’ll learn a lot of things about figure skating really fast just by watching competitions. I thought it was super complicated at first but it’s not. And what you feel when you watch a program is still the most important thing imo.

Hronop

On the Ice
You're now officially admitted to the ShoSPAtal, Vilya! We are all coping with Shomatitis here. Have fun, beware of watching Shoma too often, and don't forget to take your pills regularly! :laugh:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^^ We would probably not even get a chance to purchase the candy. it will probably be sold out in a nanosecond.
Say you do win and don't live in Japan will the Sponsors pay the expenses to get you to the Fan Meet? ;)

Shoma is keeping under the radar, no news from Camp Steph.

Vilya

On the Ice
Country
Finland
You picked probably the most chaotic season to join :laugh:
Don’t worry, you’ll learn a lot of things about figure skating really fast just by watching competitions. I thought it was super complicated at first but it’s not. And what you feel when you watch a program is still the most important thing imo.

I surely did! :laugh: And that's true, comparing to the first days I understand a lot more now :D Maybe some day I'll learn to tell the jumps apart! :laugh: Other than Shoma's 3A of course, that one was easy to learn ;)

You're now officially admitted to the ShoSPAtal, Vilya! We are all coping with Shomatitis here. Have fun, beware of watching Shoma too often, and don't forget to take your pills regularly! :laugh:

Thanks for taking me in! :D I'm actually a doctor myself and have no clue how to cure this illness so better learn to cope with it ;) Keeping away from Shoma content will be difficult, I have experienced some withdrawal symptoms already!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My first thought was "What IS this?! Looks like bocce ball!" On reading further, it says it is "boccia", which is similar to bocce. I think most people probably don't play it in a suit and tie, although Shoma DOES look great! Toyota Memorial Hospital, Nov. 21. Reminds me a little bit of when he went Shobowling.

https://twitter.com/Panoramiia/status/1199033599850246144?s=20

rabidline

Final Flight
Hi guys, i found this interview just came out today-ish?? so I thought I'd post here.
I'm happy that he seems to be in the good mood now. Hope someone would enjoy.

taro, thank you so much for sharing your translation of the AERA article, I enjoyed it very much :agree: I agree with you, Shoma seems to be in a good mood and he sounds... refreshed? I think no fan, including myself, wanted to see him struggle so much and fall so low, but from various articles, I get the sense that he was able to gain new insights and motivation from such struggles in regards to his skating.

I'll just share the link to the article in Japanese available in AERA/Asahi website, I think it's the same one you translated (please let me know if it isn't):
https://dot.asahi.com/aera/2019112500051.html

Also I'm late but welcome to Shoma's Fanfest taro! Have fun and post often :luv17: