2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ice Dance

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chock and Bates are my favorite ice dance team, and I'm super happy that they won the silver medal at the GPF and they beat H/D without any flukey errors. I think with the way things are going, they are going to win US Nationals over Hubbell and Donohue this year. The programs just aren't clicking for H/D and their scores are suffering as a result. I feel guilty every time I watch C/B free dance and enjoy it, because it is a mess of cultural appropriation, but it's so enjoyable??!! They go all-out when performing it, and the music is super captivating. Of course, Madison Chock gives all the face, and just draws you into the performance. I hate that I love it so much since it's so culturally insensitive and entertaining at the same time.

I'm curious as to what other changes H/D might make to their programs, or if they even have time to make significant changes before US Nationals.

Look, don't "woke" yourself into a life of banality. Dance and the arts should be about celebrating our differences, while appreciating the things that unite us.

On the track you're on, you'll soon be questioning non-Austrians waltzing, non-Argentinians doing a tango... and so on and so on.

I certainly don't think anyone should be dancing in blackface to Mammy, but give performers a little bit of benefit of the doubt.

heartyxo

On the Ice
Hawayek and Baker are no longer on the list for Mentor Torun Cup. :sad46: I really hope they are ok.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe they were switching to a previous year's FS and may have felt it wasn't ready to unveil internationally quite yet.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe they were switching to a previous year's FS and may have felt it wasn't ready to unveil internationally quite yet.

Well they better get it ready quick. US Nationals obviously aren’t international but they can’t afford to drop down if they want to go to Worlds.

oly2018

Final Flight
If they were going to switch, right before nationals is not the time. Somewhere else on the board, someone said they were injured. H/B haven't said anything, but between sitting out SOI and this competition, all signs point to there being something wrong.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
H&B haven't competed since Cup of China. If they were going to change a program, they could have switched as far back as early November. (I've not read anything about them changing programs, and I hope this is not true. It has taken them years to try something not soft. Sleeping through one season of In This Shirt is enough, and Liebestraume was lovely but they've already used it two seasons in a row. I wouldn't mind Theory of Everything as it had a lot of room to grow, but I think it's highly unlikely they would go back to it as they stated afterward that they learned the style wasn't them). Anyway, I like the flamenco. I do think choreographic improvements/more humor & personality within it could send it to another level.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I saw pictures on instagram from either them or Gadbois (can't remember who) of them practicing their flamenco-beethoven in December

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Aren't you lot proud of Wolfkostin/Chen? They picked up a bronze at the YOG. I realise not everyone takes this event seriously, but it's still a rather big international competition for juniors.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Aren't you lot proud of Wolfkostin/Chen? They picked up a bronze at the YOG. I realise not everyone takes this event seriously, but it's still a rather big international competition for juniors.

Sure. I would be more proud if they had not fallen, but I am happy for them. I really like their RD most and especially enjoy it when they skate it well. I've thought from the announcement of the partnership that there was a lot of potential there. This has been a very odd season for them. If the Greens and Gropman & Somerville had stayed together, I think W&C would be having a more usual entrance into the junior ranks. It's odd to see them winning things with falls in over half of their competitions. Though it's not at all odd that it is taking them time to learn how to maneuver as a team, compete under pressure, & stay focused in competition. Anyway, I just enjoy watching them each time out & try not to fall into the trap of hoping too hard that they will nail stuff yet.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Sure. I would be more proud if they had not fallen, but I am happy for them. I really like their RD most and especially enjoy it when they skate it well. I've thought from the announcement of the partnership that there was a lot of potential there. This has been a very odd season for them. If the Greens and Gropman & Somerville had stayed together, I think W&C would be having a more usual entrance into the junior ranks. It's odd to see them winning things with falls in over half of their competitions. Though it's not at all odd that it is taking them time to learn how to maneuver as a team, compete under pressure, & stay focused in competition. Anyway, I just enjoy watching them each time out & try not to fall into the trap of hoping too hard that they will nail stuff yet.

I do enjoy them and appreciate their speed but something about them still seems slightly frantic? Like I get almost a nervous energy coming off them in the free and I worry that that can lead to mistakes. They're new to each other though so I'm sure that will change with time.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I keep hearing so much about it, so I’ll ask anyone here: Is Chock and Bates’ free dance offensive? Is it supposed to be Egyptian? Arabian? I really like their free dance but I don’t know if I should or not.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I keep hearing so much about it, so I’ll ask anyone here: Is Chock and Bates’ free dance offensive? Is it supposed to be Egyptian? Arabian? I really like their free dance but I don’t know if I should or not.

Offensive? Did you hear that on Goldenskate?

My spousal unit the classics professor says many of the arm movements, although stylized, would be readily recognizable to an ancient Egyptian. Maybe not so many of them, as people have said:laugh:

Since it’s my favorite senior ice dance program, I’m. Loving. It.:luv17:

ETA: just saw the post above, so it was mentioned here on GS; don’t worry about it. It’s not appropriating anything, if, as I believe, it’s a theme on Ancient Egyptian movements as represented in their writings. At least until someone with more knowledge in the area than Spousal Unit chimes in:laugh:

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker

My spousal unit the classics professor says many of the arm movements, although stylized, would be readily recognizable to an ancient Egyptian. Maybe not so many of them, as people have said:laugh:

ETA: just saw the post above, so it was mentioned here on GS; don’t worry about it. It’s not appropriating anything, if, as I believe, it’s a theme on Ancient Egyptian movements as represented in their writings. At least until someone with more knowledge in the area than Spousal Unit chimes in:laugh:

I believe the Flutzes & Waxels podcast and the In the Loop podcast both criticized this program on the grounds of stereotyping and cultural appropriation.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It's really the only senior ice dance free program that's interesting this year. It's fresh and beautiful and unexpected.