2024 U.S. Nationals: Ice Dance thoughts? | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals: Ice Dance thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

A lot of people seemed to be upset that Chock and Bates were skating despite being ill. Lots of tweets about getting others sick. However, they alluded that it could be their last nationals.
“When we were contemplating whether or not we could skate or we should skate, it went through my mind,” Chock said. ‘Well, what if this is our…this is it? What if at the end of the year we feel complete and that’s it and we didn’t get to skate the whole U.S. championships? Would we feel like we missed that, or would we regret that decision? And, I think that would have been a ‘Yes,’ like if this is our last U.S. championships and we want to go out knowing that we skated and we did our best and we fought for it.”

There were many great skates from the other teams. Really looking forward to seeing more from Bratti and Somerville!

What are your thoughts on the Ice Dance event?

rain

Record Breaker
I hope they at least took some precautions to keep others safe and healthy, since while I get where she's coming from, that statement is a lot of "me, me, me".

Overall a very unexpectedly messy event.

Thrilled for Carreira/Ponomarenko.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bratti and Sommerville are a team that I haven't paid that much attention to prior to now. The US field is so deep, I'd pigeonholed them into the sort of bottom-of-the-middle group of dancers, and my attention span rarely holds up to follow that group closely. I love it when athletes show me something I didn't know they had!

I've been hopeful for Carreira/Ponomarenko for years, but I had started to despair just a bit, so I'm happy for them.

Green and Parsons need to get it together very quickly. When USFSA decides to dump you, they dump HARD. I fear that's coming.

Ironically, on the cusp of what many expect will be their retirement announcement... Hawayek and Baker could have won this.

Wishing Chock and Bates a speedy recovery.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Congratulations to C/B despite the difficulties in the FD this year although I have never warmed to their program this season especially compared to their FD last season which imho is the signature piece of their career. (I was kind of hoping they would follow last year’s program with “Stardust” from StarWars Rogue One but this was a dim distant dream 🤗).
C/P had the FD of the night.. chilling but beautiful. Really curious what they will do in the next cycle. B/S so refreshing.. enjoyed them, medal very much deserved.

noskates

Record Breaker
Had to stop and think about who you were talking about with all the ABCs. I thought Chock and Bates did a masterful job considering they were not feeling well. I liked both their programs and their unity was amazing. Happy for Carreira and Pon....this is the first year I've really been mesmerized by their programs. The heirs apparent.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Had to stop and think about who you were talking about with all the ABCs. I thought Chock and Bates did a masterful job considering they were not feeling well. I liked both their programs and their unity was amazing. Happy for Carreira and Pon....this is the first year I've really been mesmerized by their programs. The heirs apparent.
Sorry @noskates. It wasn't my intention to confuse anybody.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Chock and Bates skated well despite the illness.
C/P is fantastic. I hope they have some for 4cc.
B/S best placement. Great job.
I liked their program.
Felt bad for Green and Parsons. I thought did a great job despite bobbles
Z/ V skated with such energy. I like it.
Browns sorry about lift but I liked their program.

slider11

Medalist
If Chock/Bates were as ill as it appeared, I would suggest they skip 4CCs since the turnaround is immediate. The US substitutes listed do not include Bratti/Sommerville, otherwise I would replace with them. With the substitutes listed, I would replace C/B with Zingas/Kolsenik.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
The dance us great.
The U.S. Has great potential in the teams provide they stay in and together.
I am not sure some didn't quit or break-up.
The teams are promising.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
If Chock/Bates were as ill as it appeared, I would suggest they skip 4CCs since the turnaround is immediate. The US substitutes listed do not include Bratti/Sommerville, otherwise I would replace with them. With the substitutes listed, I would replace C/B with Zingas/Kolsenik.

You got your wish. C/B have wisely withdrawn and Z/K have replaced them.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
You got your wish. C/B have wisely withdrawn and Z/K have replaced them.
I thought that poor Vadym looked a bit green about the gills as he exited the ice after the FD as well. I hope that they were both checked out medically before the offer was accepted!

In fact, I also hope they did a health check for CPom and Green/Parsons.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Z/K were my new-to-me discovery this comp - really enjoyed their short especially. They are doing well for such a recent partnership. I also enjoyed Bratti/Somerville -- they definitely sell their performances, though I'm not as convinced on the technical side..

I am gutted for Gr/Parsons. I liked their programs this year a lot better than last year, but they've got to get momentum back. I really, really adore this team.

While a skilled performance, I found C/Pom's FD too one note throughout for me, but kudos to them for sticking it out in recent years and re-establishing themselves. Very polished packaging and performance.

Ch/Bates -- Evan looked a ghastly pasty white in the face, but very red in the neck and excessively sweaty when they finished, and green at the gills throughout. He really did look quite ill. I have to admire the grit and determination it took to put out a good performance despite being sick. I do like their programs this year, though they are not my all-time faves by any means.

Hawayek/Baker's lovely, lilting, musical, soul-touching, generous performances and selves were very much missed on the ice this year.

slider11

Medalist
I am really hoping that Green/Parsons can salvage their season and shine at 4CCs. That heavy metal look 80s rhythm dance just doesn't resonate with me. I know coaches like their skaters to try different things but I just don't think this clicked. Their FD have such potential but levels seem to be pulling them back. I wonder if they've considered going back to that similar modern dance they had a couple years ago that was so moving.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I felt bad for Oona and Gage. Maybe they're not at the elite stage yet, but at their last competition at Skate Canada, they were the top US team in fourth place. That one lift error. :( oh well they weren't the only team that didn't skate their best. As a Red Sox fan I can say wait'll next year...

skatingguy

On the Ice

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I am really hoping that Green/Parsons can salvage their season and shine at 4CCs. That heavy metal look 80s rhythm dance just doesn't resonate with me. I know coaches like their skaters to try different things but I just don't think this clicked. Their FD have such potential but levels seem to be pulling them back. I wonder if they've considered going back to that similar modern dance they had a couple years ago that was so moving.
They have a chance to medal at 4CC. But it is really quite soon after nationals, I don't know why the two events were scheduled so close to each other.