2024 Europeans: Pairs' thoughts? | Golden Skate

2024 Europeans: Pairs' thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

This was a crazy event, but as they say, ice is slippery. I enjoyed many of the routines, and it was nice to see the Georgians make history.

The Hungarians were not amused with their scores.

“Our motivation goes down every time we keep getting these scores,” said Pavlova. “We did our best. This is our second year together and still we keep getting these scores despite giving everything we can. Maybe our coach can talk to the judges after the competition to get an explanation.”

What are your thoughts on the Pairs event?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I could only watch the last two groups (well the penultimate group only three) in the FS and missed the rest (I couldn't watch the SP regrettably) but I thought it was a real roller coaster in any case. I really enjoyed watching Rebecca and Filippo who should have taken up acting (what a performance) and I am glad they are on the podium. I think the Hungarians are very good but one way or another they just don't manage to move me. Loved watching Lucrezia and Matteo, and I am really pleased for them. Watching Minerva Fabiënne and Nikita was a bit of a downer, as well as Anastasiia's and Luka's programmes of whom I expected perhaps a little too much. I hope I can watch Daria and Michel's FS some time in the future, well actually I hope to see everything some time in the future.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think I am almost alone thinking the result was right. If TES is the solution, why to have PCS at all? Italians, all of them were best performers of the evening.

You are not alone.

Plus, jumping off, I loved the victory ceremony where the Italian teams were singing at the top of their lungs. I am so happy for Matteo (and Lucrezia) after so many years of toiling away.:hap10:

withwings

On the Ice
I think I am almost alone thinking the result was right. If TES is the solution, why to have PCS at all? Italians, all of them were best performers of the evening.
You are not the only one to think so. I agree judging was right.

I already said all my take in competition thread, so do not want to repeat the same here.
All in all it was a great competition and Italian win really was deserved!

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All in good fun, of course. I love the Chris bingo card! Oh my gosh, how does he keep his sense of humor and positivity after commenting on 50+ skaters / teams. I'm exhausted , and I'm just watching! Adding: I think he's getting a little slap happy at this point!.LOL.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Chris Bingo card is missing my favorite: "By a Country Mile!" But otherwise, it's perfect.

Minerva Fabienne and Nikita had a heartbreaking FS, but I think this was just a step along the road. It was tough after their brilliant season, but they still skated and performed beautifully, which I hope they'll realize after the disappointment of some of the elements wears off and they get a little perspective. Especially the 0-point lift, which would normally have been 8 points, which would have made all the difference. I hope the pressure will be off a little for Worlds, and they can simply skate the way they're capable of, which they've proved all year.

If I look at the season so far, the pair that I've enjoyed the most, besides Hase/Volodin, have been Rebecca and Filippo. To my observation, there's been something different for them this year. They have more confidence, which releases them to give their all to their performance and expression, which have been riveting and joyful and just so much fun.

Joubabe

On the Ice
Country
United-States
What a great event! A lot of quality teams and very competitive.

I think the judges got the podium right. Matteo and Lucretia were delightful and their elements are so strong for a new team. Isn’t Lucretia brand new to pairs? Very impressive! And Matteo is thriving in this new partnership. I know a lot of the podsters think the Cats program is corny, but I loved it.

Very happy for Rebecca and Filippo. Well earned bronze for an entertaining program.

Feeling crushing disappointment for Minerva, but I think the weight of expectations got to them. Hopefully they’ll shake it off to come back strong at Worlds. Regardless, they’ve got a great career ahead of them and I’m here for it!

Also love Hocke & Kunkle and Conti & Macii. They both skated well but too many small mistakes in this competitive field.

I get why the Hungarians are frustrated because their elements are so strong, but there’s just something missing in their presentation.

Lastly a shout out to the Dutch! I’ve been slow to warm up to them but I really enjoyed their long. Their improvement is impressive and they lit it up in the free.

Okay, one more thing. Camille, wishing you a full and quick recovery! That you were able to finish your program after that fall was truly courageous.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Although I truly love Gh/Am (always have done, they trained with Mozer Team after all ;)), but Hungarians were blatantly low-balled. I very much hope they'll pick themselves up and show the judges that they're not intimidated by them.
Can't quite get it that H/V broke down the way they did. Minerva's been around the block for eternity, she should rise above that.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Can't quite get it that H/V broke down the way they did. Minerva's been around the block for eternity, she should rise above that.
I'd say this was a stamina issue. They had a demanding first half of the season. Minerva has been around but not on the level like this. Athletes who rise to the top level from lover ranks often have stamina issues because loads are different. It takes time and experience to figure out how to keep yourself on top of your physical form the whole season. Some top athletes even consider not to and prepare themselves for a specific competition only.
They will sort it out in a season or two.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Wow, that was the whole new level of ethnic bias... ouch for Pavlova/Svyatchnko...