2024 European Championships Pairs Free Skate | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2024 European Championships Pairs Free Skate

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Haven't watched the finals yet. Sad for Camille and Pavel who WD. But why wasn't the Craafords allowed to take their place?

withwings

On the Ice
Have not yet had an opportunity to watch all competition, saw only glimpses of few pairs and cannot resist to say few words.
Very happy for Lucrezia and Matteo!! and other Italian pair teams :clap:Guarrise indeed is an inspiration for what you can achieve if you believe in yourself! In his age to find an excellent partner and to become European Champion- Bravo!
Good experience for Volodin, and in all levels. Accept, learn and come back strong!! and in good spirit! one competition is not the end of the world. Minerva is amazing.

All in all... unexpected results mean that spirit of competition is alive (and there is a hope to win for everyone)!

meliaren

Rinkside
Country
Netherlands
I am happy for Lucrezia and Matteo. They had an excellent scate (and I happen to like the musical, though not a skating favourite for me). After all these years, and Matteo was not unsuccesful with Nicole, a gold. :points:. Too bad about the Georgians whom still get a silver. and I for one am happy for Rebecca and Filippo as well. They are always such fun to watch and this Dracula programme is fantastic for these two. Felt a bit sorry for Minerva Fabienne and Nikita though, but that's figure skating. They just didn't skate so well.

I hope I will get to see Michel and Daria soon. To 'The chain', a favourite to mine. The last time one of them fell. But being 8th is not bad for them at all.
Daria and Michel were wonderful. Well worth the trip to Kaunas. Happy I got to experience this live! Too bad about the Axel. Their scores could have been a bit higher, but I’ve been saying that all year.
I’ve made recordings of both their programs off of youtube (no geoblock in Lithuania ☺️) Could send it to you if you can’t find it online. NOS will probably show it once they’re doing with cycling.

Also think that P&S should have received a higher score. That was one of the best programs of the night for me.

Hated the Cats program but they were the clear winners overall.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Haven't watched the finals yet. Sad for Camille and Pavel who WD. But why wasn't the Craafords allowed to take their place?
That's what I wondered also. Perhaps the next one down has to have achieved a particular score to be allowed to step up? I only saw the results list and just now watched the final flight of the long program on youtube, so I don't know how the lowest pairs did, scorewise.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I love the music from Cats. There, I said it :ROFLMAO:
I'm partial to the music myself. Not the particular recording they used, though, and their chopped-up mix was more than a bit jarring. There weren't smooth transitions in the music, they were more like breaks with a restart to the next section. Reminded me of the old-style free dance programs, where they used usually three different pieces of music of different rhythms, and changed style with each cut. But Cats is an easy choice for interpretation if the woman is small and flexible and has a catlike style.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
That's what I wondered also. Perhaps the next one down has to have achieved a particular score to be allowed to step up? I only saw the results list and just now watched the final flight of the long program on youtube, so I don't know how the lowest pairs did, scorewise.
Unfortunately no competitor is allowed to replace the one who withdraws, which is bad because the audience gets to see less skating, however that's the rule.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I fell asleep during the downtime :palmf: and just catching up. Short thoughts:

- Lord I hate the Cats the movie program but Beccari/Guarise did wonderful
- My personal skate of the event was Ghilardi/Ambrosini, love the program and overall stellar showing
- Pavlova/Sviatchenko are nothing if not consistent. Great skate but the program is bland and I think it reflects on the PCS
- Conti/Macii are not having a great season :(
- Metelkina/Berulava are strong as a Russian-made pair, but I personally don't connect to them. I find the free a better program than the short though.
- So sad for both German teams, I like both and would've liked a stronger showing. May they skate the lights out at Worlds

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
After a very entertaining and enjoyable short programme this was a very underwhelming free.

I’m very disappointed for H/V. I’ve so enjoyed them all season and they chose this evening to have their poorest skate of the season. If the lift had worked they would be first. Also the judges did them no favours on PCS, they should have received more but it wouldn’t have got them a medal. I didn’t exactly like the way he just left the K&C, I’m sure he was disappointed but he could have supported her a bit,

I’ve always enjoyed Guarise with Nicole and I’d have loved them to get a European medal but I’m not a fan of his new partnership. I think it’s the age gap, maybe. The programme was good technically but the rest not for me. I wouldn't have them so high on PCS.

The Hungarians were robbed. They have been marked harshly all season both on GOE and PCS. They and their support team looked shocked at the score, I was expecting around 130. The judges don’t seem to like them and I’m not sure how they can turn that round. It’s always nice to see Sofia Evdokimova, I always like her as an ice dancer.

Glad for G/A, I like them and their Dracula programme, rightly first on PCS. I’d be disappointed if they don’t get to worlds. They haven’t been there in a few years. I thought C/M would skate strongly here but the pressure got to them.

I didn’t particularly enjoy the Georgian programmes at the start of the season but I’ve changed my mind as the season has progressed. I felt they were underscored in the short but the free was not there best.

Of the rest I was very impressed with the Dutch, really enjoyed the programme. Some of the lower Pairs were a bit scary to watch, they were shaky doing the elements.

As an aside B/G would have placed 10th in Russian nationals.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
1 3Tw4 6.00 1.54 2 4 2 2 3 3 3 2 3 7.54
2 3T+2Aq+2A+SEQ q 10.80 -0.60 -2 -1 -3 -2 -1 -1 -1 -2 -1 10.20
3 3FTh 5.30 0.83 2 2 1 1 2 1 2 2 1 6.13
4 3S 4.30 0.92 3 3 1 1 2 2 3 2 2 5.22
5 5ALi3 6.60 1.51 2 3 2 2 1 2 3 2 3 8.11
6 ChSq1 3.00 0.29 1 1 0 0 0 1 2 1 0 3.29
7 3LoTh 5.00 1.21 3 4 2 2 2 2 3 2 3 6.21
8 5RLi4 7.00 1.70 1 3 3 2 2 2 3 3 2 8.70
9 4Li3 4.70 0.81 0 2 2 2 2 1 1 2 2 5.51
10 BoDs3 4.40 0.63 0 3 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 5.03
11 PCoSp2

The Hungarians' program starts with a great twist and a high point getting sequence, (but with a quarter short on the 2A) but it dies at the end with a substandard pair spin.(level 2) And two of their three lifts were only level 3.

It is never good for your PCS to end on a bad note

They could do better if they fixed their pair spin and their lifts levels. Instead they are complaining.

The pairs event is not just jumps and twists.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
The pairs event is not just jumps and twists.
I think, the point is they were the only one skating without any mistake visible for a casual viewers... Putting the levels and GOE aside, because casual viewers don't understand that... That's why ISU stated the rule that performance score should go down, even for a little visible stumble, but... If there is a score for a clean performance, they should win in that department for sure, no matter what their jumps, twists, or levels are - that is what casual viewers are generally seeing, if someone making mistakes or not...

Last edited:

icewhite

Record Breaker
About the Hungarians: I had also expected them slightly higher, but if one's asking what the judges "don't like" 'm pretty sure it is the relative blandness of their program. Yes, they have the elements, but there's not that much else, and while for instance Hase and Volodin also have a rather empty program, they still make it a coherent program from start to finish. The Hungarians on the other hand do an element, than visibly regroup, and skate on to the next element. Their tension and projection gets very loose in between. So, they want their coach to ask the judges - if I was a judge that would be my answer for what they should work on first of all now. They also don't have great lines, posture or outstanding skating skills.

In general there were no really high PCS. Looking at the protocols I found the PCS adequate.