2024 European Championships Women's Free Skate | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2024 European Championships Women's Free Skate

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
This thread has taken weird turns.
It's the old argument over imbalance of 4CC and Euros, with a fresh twist after we could see what Euro looks like without Russian pairs and women. Because, I don't think absence of Russian men or dance makes noticeable difference. But, I mean, what's next? Taking Japan out of Worlds, so we could create stars in every other country? Lol, everything changes. Athletes come and go, so do the judges.

Also, all the skaters that shone in Euros were pretty well known before Russia was removed anyway, and beating Russians only created more glory for them.

I still want more countries in 4CC, Israel, Armenia and Azerbaijan. With emergence of Philipines, Thailand and Mexico maybe it will become more competitive...

Actually, how about a radical solution of limiting entries to 2 per country? This way nobody can fill the podium, so a minimum 2 countries will split it.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
You don't get much more dramatic than the Olympic free skate in 2022 when there were three girls with quads fighting for victory.

It wasn't dramatic or entertaining. It was just horrible, near unbearable to watch and I think it did untold damage to the sport.

If this is nothing like the Olympic free skate- GOOD.

Last edited:

Skating91

Medalist
It wasn't dramatic or entertaining. It was just horrible, near unbearable to watch and I think it did untold damage to the sport.

If this is nothing like the Olympic free skate- GOOD.

Unbearable to watch? I thought it was incredible drama and the some of the highest quality women's skating ever witnessed -- maybe we will ever witness at a senior event.

I'm watched it multiple times, enjoyed it every time and will continue to.

Skating91

Medalist
Anything that is nothing like Olympics 2022 is a Good Thing TM. Olympics 2022 in FS was the worst event ever.
I've watched it so many times. The agony and ecstasy of sport at the highest level, athletes having dedicated everything to the colour of the medal around their necks. 2026 will be Samodelkina vs Sakamoto with a flawless display from Kaori. It will be great, we will have witnessed greatness (she probably has 4 world titles by then), but there will be no five quads, no Shcherbakova and Sakamoto flawless, no blood rivalry between people like Shcherbakova and Trusova. This is what sport at the highest level is all about.