2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Honestly, I think the World title could realistically have gone to any of the three of them - and thats what made the competition so great. Alyona had won two major competitions this year so obviously she had a great shot. Sasha has the highest difficulty, and clearly she was capable of executing it, she just had consistency issues. However, I think she was on a redemption trip, so I think there was a good chance of her landing most or all of her difficulty at Worlds. Then there was Anna - her increased consistency was amazing this season, and I truly think she was headed towards peaking at Worlds. She had landed almost every single one of her quad lutzes she attempted this season; The only one she missed was the second one at Euros. However, this was probably because it was her third quad, and more importantly, all three of the girls were clearly not trying to peak at Euros and had just come back from short breaks. Her quad flip was the one that caused her trouble at the GPF but it consistently got better at every competition until she landed it at Euros. I think the extra adrenaline and training time would've given her the stamina to land all three quads perfectly cleanly at Worlds - thats the way she was trending anyways. With a clean skate from her, she would've beaten Alyona (she always won the freeskate anyways and was so close both times she got second), and would've beaten anything but a perfect/near-perfect Sasha. I don't know what would've happened but I think they all were going to have amazing performances, and all lost out by not being able to perform at Worlds. All three of them could've won almost any other Worlds or even Olympics from any previous year, so I hope they all get a chance to have a huge title in the future.

Speaking of predictions though, I look back and laugh at the fact that before this season started, it was the popular "unpopular" opinion for people to say that they didn't think that the 3A were going to be "as dominant" as anyone was predicting. And look how dominant they have been :). I am excited to see what they put together for next season.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Was it obvious? :biggrin:

To me, her increased consistency with quads and well-deserved PCS increases (albeit slight) put her in serious contention for the world title. There's no way of knowing, but I think it could've been hers.

Yes, there is no way of knowing, and it breaks my heart that these girls missed the chance.

I think that Alyona, who was the dominant one (except for RusNats), was bound to have missed one of her 3A's at Worlds, she needed to be clean on all three of her 3A's to win.
And, if you do the math, a clean Sasha 4 quad program would never beat a clean Anna. Anna's program was more technically difficult and she had the PCS advantage over Sasha.
The only scenario I can see for Anna to lose the gold is if Sasha had two perfect programs with 5 quads in the free and a perfect 3A in the short, an impossible scenario imo.
All this assuming that Anna also was clean of course, but she was sooo consistent last season, so I think she would have pulled off another RusNats (or even better) performance.

We will never know...

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Yes, there is no way of knowing, and it breaks my heart that these girls missed the chance.

I think that Alyona, who was the dominant one (except for RusNats), was bound to have missed one of her 3A's at Worlds, she needed to be clean on all three of her 3A's to win.
And, if you do the math, a clean Sasha 4 quad program would never beat a clean Anna. Anna's program was more technically difficult and she had the PCS advantage over Sasha.
The only scenario I can see for Anna to lose the gold is if Sasha had two perfect programs with 5 quads in the free and a perfect 3A in the short, an impossible scenario imo.
All this assuming that Anna also was clean of course, but she was sooo consistent last season, so I think she would have pulled off another RusNats (or even better) performance.

We will never know...

I don't think its fair to say Alyona was bound to miss one of her 3As when she didn't fall on one the entire season, and only had one big stepout. In fact, for the past three seasons, she's fallen on exactly one jump each season, has stepped out twice in total, and had one pop on a double axel. She's one of the most consistent skaters to ever exist imo. I do agree however that it is likely that one of Sasha or Anna would've won though, as I think at least one of them would peak for Worlds and be completely clean, thus beating Alyona. I also think its unfair to say the clean Sasha programs are impossible. Yes, the practice ones aren't equal to competition, but she has done a clean 4 quad competition, and whats one more? Before world juniors 2018, most people probably would've said a clean two quad program from her was impossible. I also personally don't think that Sasha would have to be at her peak peak difficulty to beat Anna either. A 5 quad program without the 3A definitely would've worked fine, maybe even a 4 quad program (certainly a 4 quad program would've worked if she landed a 3A). If I had to bet, I too probably would've said Anna, just by a smidge, but I really believe Sasha could've pulled it off.

Arbitrary

Medalist

We will never know...

There would be no so large PCS gap. Clean jumps = much better PCS. One fall = lower PCS, two falls = mediocre PCS.
Or even better: judges could think her girl-time is over and a new lady born. Period.

And Sasha is the only girl who dared 4-1-3 combo backlogged. Actually she backlogged two quads but the second 4T didn't receive the bonus as not being in top three elements.
Not every male skater dares to backlog quad combo

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
There would be no so large PCS gap. Clean jumps = much better PCS. One fall = lower PCS, two falls = mediocre PCS.
Or even better: judges could think her girl-time is over and a new lady born. Period.

And Sasha is the only girl who dared 4-1-3 combo backlogged. Actually she backlogged two quads but the second 4T didn't receive the bonus as not being in top three elements.
Not every male skater dares to backlog quad combo

Yes, we know Sasha's backloading, but last season proved that it never payed off. A backloaded 4T+Eul+3S is less points than a frontloaded 4Lz+3T that Anna has.
What Sasha does is great, but her whole program doesn't match Anna's if they are both clean.
And falls doesn't affect the PCS that much. Sasha has lower PCS than Anna, with or without falls.

GINO

On the Ice
To me, her increased consistency with quads

This season, Anna has 7 clean quads with positive GOE and 8 with errors (falls, ur, step out, wrong edge). This is 46% rate.

Sasha has 17 clean quads with positive GOE and 10 with errors. Success rate is 63%(a larger number of quad attempts makes this number even more unique). It’s ridiculous for me how everyone talks about the incredible consistency of Anna and because of two unsuccessful competitions they began to call Sasha inconsistent. I understand that people tend to remember the recent events, but it's still a little weird.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
This season, Anna has 7 clean quads with positive GOE and 8 with errors (falls, ur, step out, wrong edge). This is 46% rate.

Sasha has 17 clean quads with positive GOE and 10 with errors. Success rate is 63%(a larger number of quad attempts makes this number even more unique). It’s ridiculous for me how everyone talks about the incredible consistency of Anna and because of two unsuccessful competitions they began to call Sasha inconsistent. I understand that people tend to remember the recent events, but it's still a little weird.

There's nothing weird. In the cauldron of the "unsuccesful" jumps there are various types of errors, from a fall to a (!). (!) doesn't automatically mean unsuccesful jump, you can still have full BV and positive GOE, which Anna had at the Cup of China with her 2nd 4Lz, therefore I would correct it to 8 succesful and 7 unsuccesful jumps, that's 54 % rate.

It is necessary to differ between small mistakes and serious ones. As for the serious mistakes, through the whole season Anna had only two falls and one downgraded jump, most of the other errors were less serious and cost her relatively less points than the falls cost Sasha. That's also the part of stability, doing less serious mistakes.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
wait, didn't Anna land all but 2 her quads?! 1 fall at GPF, one more at Euros.

If my memory serves my right, Anna landed 1/1 at Lombardia, 4/4 at GP events, 2/3 at gpf, 3/3 at Nationals, and 2/3 at Euros.

that is 12 from 14. That is 85.7% landed.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
My predictions for the Russian Ladies next season.

Two words.

Anna Shcherbakova

It will be her season.

My dream scenario for next season is Alina winning GPF, Alena winning Nationals,Euros and Anna winning worlds.

with TT sweeping all 6 places at nationals and Lil-bet and Anna/Alina Medaling at gpf and worlds and Lil-bet winning 4CC. #keepingeverybodyhappyintheteam :biggrin:

I know it's very unlikely( at this point I will be happy if Lil-bet returns even without any medals) but one can dream :biggrin:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Happy birthday, ladies :hb::cheer:

And I just wanna see Adeliya's debut on JGP this year :hap85: (and I hope someone would create her FF. Spirals for Miles, are you here? :devil:)

GINO

On the Ice
wait, didn't Anna land all but 2 her quads?! 1 fall at GPF, one more at Euros.

If my memory serves my right, Anna landed 1/1 at Lombardia, 4/4 at GP events, 2/3 at gpf, 3/3 at Nationals, and 2/3 at Euros.

that is 12 from 14. That is 85.7% landed.

Landed jump does not mean clean jump. Test skate(4Lz fall), Lombardia(4Lz), GP USA(4Lz, 4Lz), GP China(4Lz<!, 4Lz!), GPF(4Lz, 4F fall, 4Lz<), RN(4Lz,4F step-out, 4Lz), EC(4Lz, 4F<, 4Lz<< fall). How can a jump with underrotation or wrong edge be considered clean?

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
Landed jump does not mean clean jump. Test skate(4Lz fall), Lombardia(4Lz), GP USA(4Lz, 4Lz), GP China(4Lz<!, 4Lz!), GPF(4Lz, 4F fall, 4Lz<), RN(4Lz,4F step-out, 4Lz), EC(4Lz, 4F<, 4Lz<< fall). How can a jump with underrotation or wrong edge be considered clean?

TIL test skate is a competition.

also when people say "stable quad" they in most cases, mean skater landed them.

and ! isn't wrong edge, it's unclear one.

p.s if Trusova landed 85% of her quads,"unclean" or not, poor stasya wouldn't be that forgotten right now :laugh:

Scott512

Record Breaker
The lost WC doomed Sasha. She could reach the heights she deserved but s//t happens.
After the three consecutive loses Sasha was pushed down behind two concurrent stars of the TTfP. So, her parents apparently decided to seek the truth in other places.
For good or for bad.

Gossips were Sasha (or her parents) first attempted to leave at February, way before the WC was cancelled. I don't see how it could help.

And yes, the TTfP is overfilled with stars.
True.
And if it works and she triumphs, the other two will be looking squinteyed at Eteri (and possibly the exit sign). Who knows?
Possibly. But I'm not sure the Fed would let another one leave in the next year. EG would flip out.
Stay calm!
My crystal ball tells me that everything will be fine.
God safe the Quad Queen!
You could be right. E
:biggrin:

Russian clickbait media can claim that it was Rozanov who invented jumps not Axel Rudolf Paulsen and frankly, after few articles I have read, I won't be surprised,but It still won't convince anybody who isn't purposely blinding himself that there was more that one (and only one) reason of Trusova's leaving TT.

Also thanks Alexandra for honestly saying that she wants everything and right now,that makes perfectly clear why she went where she went- when you want huge return on your deposit, established and big banks aren't the way, you need to find ponzi schemes and hope for the best. Well, good luck.

No pond schemes please. We just have to let Sasha do her thing and her new surroundings and see where she ends up.

Status
Not open for further replies.