2023-24 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Russian Women's Figure Skating

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
I just watched the Tutberidze show replays

Petrosian's new program is so cool. Very little empty choreo which impressed me the most. Her dancing ability is really increasing, she always had incredible placement and extension like any great skater but now her fluidity and control is really reaching dancer levels. I think Akateva being out this season has let Petrosian get properly ahead (but we'll see). I'm seeing a spark in her where I feel she could become the best we've seen. I really really cannot wait until next season.

I really liked Zagitova's new program too, the lyrical one "My Sweet & Tender Beast". Very enjoyable and she had surprising speed for being so long gone.

Dvoeglazova had nice music and good energy, really liked it. I hope she keeps her 4Lz so we can see another true master in seniors. Akateva looked smooth, hopes up for next season (surely not the career ending situation many were mulling over). And Trusova's Chopin was enjoyable and emotional.

I really love this sport. Next year is just gonna be amazing.

Skating91

Medalist
I just watched the Tutberidze show replays

Petrosian's new program is so cool. Very little empty choreo which impressed me the most. Her dancing ability is really increasing, she always had incredible placement and extension like any great skater but now her fluidity and control is really reaching dancer levels. I think Akateva being out this season has let Petrosian get properly ahead (but we'll see). I'm seeing a spark in her where I feel she could become the best we've seen. I really really cannot wait until next season.

I really liked Zagitova's new program too, the lyrical one "My Sweet & Tender Beast". Very enjoyable and she had surprising speed for being so long gone.

Dvoeglazova had nice music and good energy, really liked it. I hope she keeps her 4Lz so we can see another true master in seniors. Akateva looked smooth, hopes up for next season (surely not the career ending situation many were mulling over). And Trusova's Chopin was enjoyable and emotional.

I really love this sport. Next year is just gonna be amazing.
Yeah next year will be great the Russian domestic season for the women. I don't think they will appear in international competition for 20 years (I won't get into why I can explain in DM), so have resigned myself to Russian Nationals being the premier event for women now for the next couple of decades. I think they have to create an event to run around the same time as the world championships or hold Russian Nationals in March, move the GP final to late December. This would energise the season. Add one more event in January/February maybe hold an all-Russian event somewhere like China make it a major trophy. I'm sure it would motivate the skaters to having an international domestic event in front of what would be a large audience, and there would be no problems for China. The ISU would not touch that.

If you look at the numbers for Petrosian she has no lost since the GP final 2023. No-one has come close to challenging her. There is so much room for improvement if she skates two perfect programs she maybe comes within 10 points of Valieva's all time record. I don't think she will break it she is not on that level, but she can get close. There's no denying her talent. She has already had a large growth spurt too, and has seemingly dealt with it easily. I thought 2022/23 would be her breakout year where she would dominate, but it was only injury that stopped her.

Akatieva looks great too. I don't know if she gets back ultra-c now she has grown a lot since 12 months ago, but her skating is quite beautiful. If she competes next season she would finish ahead of Frolova or Sinitsina assuming no ultra-c, so still good enough for top 3 assumign Zhilina doesn't return. However, the triple axel was so high, so she probably brings that or the 4T back. If just one it probably puts her slightly ahead of Muraviova.

I think Muraviova retains her triple axels, Peterosian will have a similar level to last season, Akatieva wih one ultra-c jump, Frolova and Sinitsina again, Sadkova if she is stable is a chance for Russian championships podium, Gorbacheva can maybe return ultra-c again.

Zagitova is still at a good level. She would have to pack on a lot of muscle to compete again, but would only take a summer of intense training.

I have the Yaroslavl show on Youtube on now and Petrosian is on doing Michael Jackson. She really is good. No senior in the world has this speed. Next season should be special.

If there were a domestic Russian event outside Russia I would definitely attend,

Last edited:

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Yeah next year will be great the Russian domestic season for the women. I don't think they will appear in international competition for 20 years (I won't get into why I can explain in DM), so have resigned myself to Russian Nationals being the premier event for women now for the next couple of decades. I think they have to create an event to run around the same time as the world championships or hold Russian Nationals in March, move the GP final to late December. This would energise the season. Add one more event in January/February maybe hold an all-Russian event somewhere like China make it a major trophy. I'm sure it would motivate the skaters to having an international domestic event in front of what would be a large audience, and there would be no problems for China. The ISU would not touch that.

If you look at the numbers for Petrosian she has no lost since the GP final 2023. No-one has come close to challenging her. There is so much room for improvement if she skates two perfect programs she maybe comes within 10 points of Valieva's all time record. I don't think she will break it she is not on that level, but she can get close. There's no denying her talent. She has already had a large growth spurt too, and has seemingly dealt with it easily. I thought 2022/23 would be her breakout year where she would dominate, but it was only injury that stopped her.

Akatieva looks great too. I don't know if she gets back ultra-c now she has grown a lot since 12 months ago, but her skating is quite beautiful. If she competes next season she would finish ahead of Frolova or Sinitsina assuming no ultra-c, so still good enough for top 3 assumign Zhilina doesn't return. However, the triple axel was so high, so she probably brings that or the 4T back. If just one it probably puts her slightly ahead of Muraviova.

I think Muraviova retains her triple axels, Peterosian will have a similar level to last season, Akatieva wih one ultra-c jump, Frolova and Sinitsina again, Sadkova if she is stable is a chance for Russian championships podium, Gorbacheva can maybe return ultra-c again.

Zagitova is still at a good level. She would have to pack on a lot of muscle to compete again, but would only take a summer of intense training.

I have the Yaroslavl show on Youtube on now and Petrosian is on doing Michael Jackson. She really is good. No senior in the world has this speed. Next season should be special.

If there were a domestic Russian event outside Russia I would definitely attend,
I pretty much agree. It shouldn't be much of a challenge for the Russian fed to take big steps since the numbers surely support that RusNats its the premier of figure skating though Worlds did much better than I expected commercially which I'm actually quite happy about, especially for Malinin, and I dont mind Kaori also. I'd like to hear your reasoning in DM about why we wont see Russians for that long though. I thought it was almost a given that they will be there for the Olympics at this point? Or is that different... I'm not sure if ISU gets a say in if Russia competes or its just the Olympic committee - I suppose its likely the latter in which case we will definitely see them as neutral athletes at minimum in which case Petrosian's OGM is all but confirmed unless Akateva makes a nuclear comeback. Still, 2 decades seems like a long time. It could only be a loss to the ISU at that point.

I totally get the skepticism in Petrosian challenging Valieva. I suppose in raw tech I see that its unlikely but with 2 flips and a 3A in the FS I think its entirely possible. Most importantly I meant also just in general she might be reaching the same level of sophistication holistically as an artist which I never thought would happen (though a spin like Kamila's will likely never be seen again). I'm almost sure Akateva gets the 4T back at least, to see her taking anything but second next season would be a big surprise to me. I dont think Mura is going to be taking her over, though Mura still will be making podium for anyone else extremely difficult since shes getting quite stable now and this is post-growth while Sadkova still has a lot of development to get past and Zhilina is sort of a wild card at this point (plus the PCS gap). I also wonder whats going to be up with Zinina. And the usual second class are all amazing of course. Ah so much to consider for next season its going to be amazing.