2023-24 Russian Nationals Women's Short Program | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Russian Nationals Women's Short Program

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Tell that to Maya Jama, who got roasted online and accused of being misogynistic after she said it on "Love Island" a few months ago.

CaroLiza_fan
Wait a lady got roasted for mentioning periods as it was misogynist? If it wasn't something horribly negative than that's some BS.

someone who knows russian, my brain has farted, what does "dor pra vitch" mean?
dor bra vitch
dor pra vitch
something like that
I think that's actually Moldetz" the Russian for "Well done!" I used to think it was "Four more years!" which made no sense whatsoever :laugh2:

Right I should do stuff, it's Christmas Eve Eve and I still have some presents to wrap!

Arwen17

Final Flight
I think that's actually Moldetz" the Russian for "Well done!" I used to think it was "Four more years!" which made no sense whatsoever :laugh2:

I'm wondering if that's what I'm mishearing sometimes. I know "mola-ditz" for "bravo!" or "well done", but I have "dou pra vitch" stuck in my head too and maybe its just accent differences between different speakers that my ears can't pick up on.
It certainly rhymes! so that's probably what it is. 😅

To my completely untrained ears and very little knowledge of words, Russian is like they have cotton balls in their mouth. I can't make it out lol.

Russian = too slurred together
Japanese = nice and crisp, but too many sounds. Can be very fast and takes a lot of syllables to say anything.
French = they swallow half the word and don't use half the letters in a word
Chinese = super tonal. too many slight variations.

And if anyone wants to make any complaints about English, I'm all ears.

Gushchina - "I did everything I could. I thought I skated well - one of the best skates of the season. But for some reason my score was low, this was upsetting."
Still, we can't expect the judges to take into consideration skaters' self-evaluations of how well they skated, or who might get their feelings hurt.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm wondering if that's what I'm mishearing sometimes. I know "mola-ditz" for "bravo!" or "well done", but I have "dou pra vitch" stuck in my head too and maybe its just accent differences between different speakers that my ears can't pick up on.
It certainly rhymes! so that's probably what it is. 😅

To my completely untrained ears and very little knowledge of words, Russian is like they have cotton balls in their mouth. I can't make it out lol.

Russian = too slurred together
Japanese = nice and crisp, but too many sounds. Can be very fast and takes a lot of syllables to say anything.
French = they swallow half the word and don't use half the letters in a word
Chinese = super tonal. too many slight variations.

And if anyone wants to make any complaints about English, I'm all ears.
Actually now that you mention it... I think I did hear TAT say something that sounds similiar to "dou pra vitch", but maybe it's just a regional difference since the other Russian speakers on this board didn't recognise it. Or maybe some weird slang from a bygone era! Apparently according to some Russian speakers, Mishin speaks oddly and uses interesting turns of phrase.

Ha ha I first heard Moldetz as "Four more years!" while watching the Sochi OIympics on TV so perhaps the whole Olympic cycle thing got in my subconscious.

I have to agree with your assessment of other languages, although having asked apparently English sounds super fast to non-English speakers so I guess it's just what you're used to. I once read somewhere that English is a language that follows other languages down dark alleys, beats them up and steals their words or alternatively three languages hiding in a trenchcoat :laugh2:

I once read somewhere that English is a language that follows other languages down dark alleys, beats them up and steals their words or alternatively three languages hiding in a trenchcoat :laugh2:
Well, you know. Saxons and Romans and William of Normandy (oh my!)

But as for people understanding "what we're used to," yes that is an astonishing ability that humans possess. Even babies can do it. Another astonishing thing is that of all the 7000 languages in the world, all of them are incredibly complex and subtle. There is no such thing as a "primitive" spoken language -- much to the dismay of linguists who would love to be able to study the origins of spoken language, but no.

Last edited:

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
plus I assume she has some quads to bring out in the free?
She is working on the 3A and 4T but I think they are not ready enough yet.

Maria T - I wonder what the story is...did the Italian Fed decide they didn't want her, or did the Russian Fed not release her?
She was released but she had visa and financial problem so she had to leave Europe.

Also... I think the music listed was wrong - isn't Woodkid a boy band, at any rate I don't recall any highpitched squeaking in their other songs.
It's really Woodkid. She's not the only one with this music.

Amei

Record Breaker
My personal faves of the ladies:
  • Yametova - I watch her skate and I feel like she's successfully doing what we wished from Trusova - the non-ice princess music but with an actual connection to the music.
  • Lyudmila Fursova - who is this girl?!? She was so intriguing to watch, interesting choreography/music. I hope her FS is as interesting.
  • Frolova - so beautiful.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Agree. The axel had a difficult entrance, and when the GOE popped up I groaned. Her skating skills are at the same level as most of the girls, and certainly Maya should not have had such a PCS advantage. While Petrosan has outstanding spins, SS , her jump GOE was inflated. I do think most of the coaches of the non Eteri girls explain that politics will play a role-but it shouldn't be like that. When and if Russia is part of the international skating community again, they ought to think about bringing in outside judges for Nationals. (Really all nations ought to think about doing this). On the other hand, except for National team funding, this year doesn't matter a fig. Next year might be a whole different story.
I couldnt care less if they overscore the popular girls. Politics... whatever. It happens everywhere - everywhere is domestic scoring for the girl with the most fans.

I just dont understand, are these judges even fans of skating at all? Again, I dont think they're purposely underscoring Gushchina, I think they just arent even paying attention to her skating. Its so disrespectful and ruins the event for me. Go ahead and give Kamila her 39 PCS for a stumble but can we at least, like, actually just watch and score the other girls? Pathetic.

Still, we can't expect the judges to take into consideration skaters' self-evaluations of how well they skated, or who might get their feelings hurt.
I've been complaining about Gushchina's underscoring since before she ever cried about it. Its just truth. Watch her skate, and Anisimova's. But Gushchina's is particularly outrageous.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wait a lady got roasted for mentioning periods as it was misogynist? If it wasn't something horribly negative than that's some BS.

It was said in a negative way.

I probably should have made clear, Maya Jama is the latest presenter of the show, and she was talking about one of the contestants.

I haven't seen the whole of what happened, because I have no interest in reality shows (or "so-called" reality shows). But, from what I read about the incident, two of the contestants that had got together (I refuse to use the word "couple" for a show like this) had a bit of a disagreement, and it was getting analysed afterwards by a panel of "experts" (other "reality" TV "stars", as I can gather).

One of the panellists, a former contestant, was talking about it being a long time to be in the same environment with somebody, and ended by saying "I think he just needs to let her have her moods. You don’t need to make it about you. Girls are moody – that’s our thing.’" To which presenter Maya added "We get moods. I was like, maybe it’s the time of the month. Maybe she just doesn’t want to see him, because every day for two months is a long time".

If you want to read more about it, here it is the story in the Daily Mail:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...isogynistic-comment-Ella-Aftersun-debate.html

I have linked to this version of the story because it includes a clip of the part of the discussion that people were complaining about. However, it doesn't include a clip of the disagreement between the contestants that prompted the discussion in the first place. Which would have been helpful, and given context.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just finished watching this competition!! Best ladies SP I have watched this season!! I was blown away by the talent in Russia.

Kseniia G - Under rated skater 😭
I have to add her to my “rooting for” list; not because she is my fave fave. But, because she is so under scored. Will root for her to move up to 7-9 range with her free skate.

Also, Maria And Kulikova are also under rated 😰

Alina G - She amazed me with her skating skills. Shame on that fall. But, she is someone that I enjoy. I love her attack. I rooted for her to win Juniors last year and I’m so happy to see her doing well this year at Seniors. She has a 4S planned for the free skate, and even if she doesn’t land this jump, her triples are just so consistent, it seems. I think she will move up to 4-6 after free skate. She is that strong. If she does, I will be so sad for one of the current skaters in the 4-6 positions, as I love all three of them. I will cry for the one that finishes in 7th, especially, if they skate clean.

My beautiful non-ultra c girls all made the final flight doing what they do best.

Anna F - Lovely!! Clear rotated jumps. I love her and love her free skate program. The one thing I will criticize is that she kind of doesn’t focus on her spins (a bit like Gubanova). That camp needs to teach these skaters in their camp, how to level 4 spin more consistently.

Veronika - brought back her masterpiece SP. She has the best skating skills with Mura. Love this program. At her domestic event, she scored 217 overall and skated all her triples minus the triple triple with so much flow. Hoping she nails her free skate tmrw.

Kseniia S - What a gem she is. She should be closer to the top three. But, 4th place after SP, is a really good result for her. She is the skater I worry about the most, of the three. I want all three in the National Team to show Russians that skating skills matter just as much as quads.

Sofia M - Skated here to win. The only skater to attempt and land the 3A. I was so upset to see her fall on that step sequence. She was skating so fast. She wanted first too badly. The thing is, I actually think that skating before the big two, might help her skate a better free skate. If she was last, I think she would have crumbled from nerves. But, it would have been amazing to see her finish first here. Fingers crossed for her tmrw.

Adeliya - I enjoyed her SP. This was her best skating performance. I think going for the 2A instead of the 3A, was a smart move for her.

Kamila - Deserved first place. I just think she is a bit over scored. But, definitely deserves first place and her 4T, when landed is just breathtaking

I don’t know what will happen tmrw. I agree with the judges. I would have placed the skaters in the same positions 1-7.

Internationally, I think only Kaori can compete with these top three girls for medals. I don’t see an international panel placing a clean Kaori behind clean 2A Adeliya. But, honestly, as much as I love Kaori, with the programs this year, I would score Adeliya over Kaori’s SP.

May the best lady win tmrw!! This is the most exciting event tmrw!! I think 1-3 are on a class on their own, unless there is a meltdown. I see the skaters in the 4-7 range, as the second class of their own. Regardless, I will be sad with the 7th place finisher at this event.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It was said in a negative way.
Oh well, that's justified then, but if you just bring it up in a regular way or whatever there wouldn't be any backlash I'd think. (Plus those weird reality shows are always terrible, I don't actually watch them, but when they pop up on Gogglebox the mind does indeed boggle at the bizareness!)

Which reminds me, I saw a news report the other day about women athletes wearing red drop stickers on their uniform/clothes when it's that time of the month, just to show how it doesn't stop them from competing or training or whatever, just to normalise it. Go them, I say!

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
She was released but she had visa and financial problem so she had to leave Europe.
How sad for Maria T! But she did make the Nats so that's promising for her. :)

It's really Woodkid. She's not the only one with this music.
Wow really? Now I'm worried I'll hear it again, it wasn't just me right? There were these awful high pitched noises throughout the music? I was wincing. That said I am looking forward to seeing more from Lyudmila!

Sofia M - Skated here to win. The only skater to attempt and land the 3A. I was so upset to see her fall on that step sequence. She was skating so fast. She wanted first too badly. The thing is, I actually think that skating before the big two, might help her skate a better free skate. If she was last, I think she would have crumbled from nerves. But, it would have been amazing to see her finish first here. Fingers crossed for her tmrw.
That's a good point! Skating last has to be high pressure central. So fingers and toes crossed for Sofia M, I hope she can get her 3As landed! I actually rather enjoy her FS, so looking forward to her nailing it :)

Arwen17

Final Flight
I once read somewhere that English is a language that follows other languages down dark alleys, beats them up and steals their words or alternatively three languages hiding in a trenchcoa

I wondered if it would be something like that! English is such a hodgepodge because we're not afraid to borrow anything and everything from everyone else, and yes all of the conquering/invading of the British isle back in the ancient days. I know we must have a ton of exceptions that non-native-speakers probably want to kill us for, but since I'm a native speaker, I don't have to go thru that.

I just wondered about the sound of English since all of my language complaints above were about the sound of language, rather than grammar etc. If it's hard to hear the sounds in English or not. It' s probably more of a struggle to know how to pronounce things with our many exceptions.