2023-24 Russian Nationals Pairs Short Program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Russian Nationals Pairs Short Program

Skating91

Medalist
Funny, you say I don't understand how chemicals work in the body, when I literally have a degree in biology. There are absolutely substances that will allow you to push through serious injuries and illnesses, and yes, many of them are not allowed under WADA laws, because of the effect they have on the healthy body.

I think I know what you're alleging, and no this would not give the powerful qualities you ascribe to it. Possible negatively affected performance.

Alena's hip surgery came much later, shortly before switching to pairs. There was no (public) disagreement with anyone at that time.

There was no public disagreement. There was nothing to argue about publicly. She was back on the ice jumping against everyone's orders. If you tell Alyona to do something, she will do the opposite. It was sad how she betrayed Buyanova a lot of time was invested in Alyona for nothing in the end.

Also, the things you are describing as "letting herself go" could certainly be the "symptoms" of healing. If you didn't jump for a while to heal, of course your jumps won't be as consistent, and you likely won't be able to do a 3A just because someone thinks you should be able to do it as you always could before. If you are having issues with your breathing, how are you supposed to keep up your stamina? And if you can't keep up your stamina, how are you expected to be able to do programs with the same stability, energy and difficulty as before?

She was very unlucky as a 16 year old elite athlete to suffer such devastating long COVID, usually it was people much older with significant underlying health conditions. Very unlucky. Extraordinarily.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Mathematician does not seem aware that women exist.
Im still not 100% sure they do exist... I've never spoken to one of these "women" in person...

My reaction when the waitress simply asks for my order:

nervous-scared.gif

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I think I know what you're alleging, and no this would not give the powerful qualities you ascribe to it. Possible negatively affected performance.
Not everything is a dig at certain other athletes, and this certainly wasn't, if that is what you are thinking :rolleyes: I'm talking about for example substances that increase oxygenation which would help someone with decreased lung capacity following a pulmonary disease.
It was sad how she betrayed Buyanova a lot of time was invested in Alyona for nothing in the end.
Buyanova is well aware of the fact that skaters rarely come to her to continue their career, you do not have to worry about her. It's been a long time since she's had any success with coaching women.
She was very unlucky as a 16 year old elite athlete to suffer such devastating long COVID, usually it was people much older with significant underlying health conditions. Very unlucky. Extraordinarily.
Interestingly, elite athletes are actually more likely to suffer complications from both pulmonary and cardiovascular diseases. Young elite athletes are for example 2.5 times as likely to die from sudden cardiac death than non-athletes of the same age group, and clearly, having long Covid would affect an elite athlete more in their day-to-day life than a non-athlete, as they are putting more strain on their body to achieve success in sports.

Even apart from elite athletes, long Covid was indeed less common in younger (& actually the oldest) age groups than in the middling age groups (30-60 yo), but even the 5-7% (average for men and women, with long Covid being approx. 1-2% more likely in women) reported for the younger ones is still not insignificant in a country that has had 23 million Covid-19 cases in total, no?

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Im a serial mis-genderer on this forum it seems...

I know the feeling, mate.

if you take everyone here to be female the chances of getting it right will increase massively :biggrin:

@elektra blue taught me to use that theory, and it is a good place to start from.

It's still highly embarrassing when you get it wrong, but it happens less often.

... Earlier today, to user "Ella":

And to user "Katy":

Whilst trying to work out from names in a username often works, it doesn't always.

Take me as an example. I'm male, but I have two female names in my username. That is because I wanted to reference my two favourite Ladies skaters, Carolina Kostner and Liza Tuktamysheva, in my username.

CaroLiza_fan

Ella339

On the Ice
I know the feeling, mate.

@elektra blue taught me to use that theory, and it is a good place to start from.

It's still highly embarrassing when you get it wrong, but it happens less often.
There's getting it wrong, and there's doing it on purpose.

Take me as an example. I'm male, but I have two female names in my username. That is because I wanted to reference my two favourite Ladies skaters, Carolina Kostner and Liza Tuktamysheva, in my username.
I didn't know that. That makes icewhite's advice, while very relevant for figure skating fans in general, even less relevant than I thought in the Russian-oriented threads. The male/female ratio always seems very different in this environment. But that's probably another conversation!

thatdarncat

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Great Pairs competition today, a lot of close scoring. I liked Kh/K new short programme, M/G didn't disappoint and although I don't understand what Tarasova is saying I can tell she is very passionate about skating.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Some takeaways:

Why is Aliona suddenly so unpopular? I thought she and Georgy did really well except for the fall and the twist I guess (sometimes it's hard for me to tell with twists, but she didn't fall so still a win to me!). I figured people would be excited to see her back, but apparently she annoyed some people :scratch2: Hope Georgy's face is OK and they have a great FS!

Moskvina and TAT have the same scarf! Was it given out at some Pairs Legends Awards?

Anastasia M and Dima E's program was really cool! I enjoyed it a lot.

Liza Ooo remains awesome if with an odd dress, aren't red heads supposed to avoid wearing pink? Or at least that shade of it?

Shame for Sasha B she missed up her solo jump, the rest of it was good though! Good luck to them in the FS as well!

Nastya M and Sasha G definitely kicked this competitions butt though! Quality use of drama arm during the spiral and their costumes were really eye-catching. Looking forward to catching their FS.

(Although I do hope Sasha G wasn't posting mean memes because that's just mean and beneath you, sir.)

Finally Maxim T's hair isn't that terrible, I'm more confused by his lumberjack flannel shirt/jacket TBH :laugh2:

Cherub721

On the Ice
Looks like a great event. I hope for good free skates!

Wasn't Vasilisa once paired up with Volodin, who is now the GPF champion?

He may be GPF champion but his best result at Russian Nationals is 11th. He would be very lucky to place as high as 8th or 9th here, so Vasilisa wasn't much luckier than Kostornaya, IMO.

Amei

Record Breaker
The whole second group was just phenomenal the group just flew by to me. The most impressive for me was Osokina and Gritsaenko, great speed, super close SBS jumps and I felt like they had the highest twist of the everyone (though maybe that’s an illusion because she’s on the taller side). Costuming is meh though, as a fellow ginger with the same hair/skin color – girl that color is not your friend. I know Kostornaia is a name/fan favorite but Shegai/Shamshurov were better and should have been ahead of them.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Pure joy, honestly. I know scores are important, but I love everyone there and miss the guys who wd.

Mathematician

Medalist
Why is Aliona suddenly so unpopular? I thought she and Georgy did really well except for the fall and the twist I guess (sometimes it's hard for me to tell with twists, but she didn't fall so still a win to me!). I figured people would be excited to see her back, but apparently she annoyed some people :scratch2: Hope Georgy's face is OK and they have a great FS!

Liza Ooo remains awesome if with an odd dress, aren't red heads supposed to avoid wearing pink? Or at least that shade of it?
Most Russian fans dislike Kostornaia for her personality. Regardless I think most of us were excited to see her program with this music, and see her pairs progress in general but its just not a big deal to us when things go wrong for her. I do agree that they did fine for their debut, too much hate on them now telling them to split. I think that would be stupid. If they want it they could probably be contenders in a couple years. I dont know why people dislike Georgi, though. I guess people just clown him because he seems submissive to her. I dont think theres any real disliking for him personally like Kostornaia.

And, I dont know much about fashion colour theory, but I actually liked Osokina's outfit a good bit.

Ella339

On the Ice
Why is Aliona suddenly so unpopular? I thought she and Georgy did really well except for the fall and the twist I guess (sometimes it's hard for me to tell with twists, but she didn't fall so still a win to me!). I figured people would be excited to see her back, but apparently she annoyed some people :scratch2:
People started disliking her when she was branded a traitor for leaving Eteri.

Then she dared open her mouth and call out the various ways people had let her down, that made things even worse.

Then there's also the fact that some people will take it personally when the athlete fails to deliver medals for the glory of the motherland. (Or fails to pay Saint Eteri back in medals after she so generously invested her time in an athlete.)

And then there's all the creeps who are bitter that the little 15-year-old they found hot grew up, showed she was her own person and married someone else. How dare she!

So as you can see, there are several strands of toxicity. Although they are sometimes exhibited by the same people.

Hope that helps!

Mathematician

Medalist
People started disliking her when she was branded a traitor for leaving Eteri.

Then she dared open her mouth and call out the various ways people had let her down, that made things even worse.

Then there's also the fact that some people will take it personally when the athlete fails to deliver medals for the glory of the motherland. (Or fails to pay Saint Eteri back in medals after she so generously invested her time in an athlete.)

And then there's all the creeps who are bitter that the little 15-year-old they found hot grew up, showed she was her own person and married someone else. How dare she!

So as you can see, there are several strands of toxicity. Although they are sometimes exhibited by the same people.

Hope that helps!
1. Medvedeva, Trusova left and everyone still loves them

2. Medvedeva did this, nobody turned on her

3. What? Russia won everything in ladies anyways.

4. Bizarre

Do you speak Russian? I've never seen a Russian speaker who actually knows what Kostornaia is like defend her. Kostornaia is an obvious outlier to the entire Russian community as someone who actually has issues.