2023-24 Russian Nationals Women's Short Program | Page 33 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Russian Nationals Women's Short Program

DK74

Rinkside
Country
Germany
If Kamila Valieva was Latvian, German (or any country other than Russia) at the next Olympics, she would be the only person they would talk about for two weeks.
Come to Switzerland, Kamila! It's a great place to live here. And you could be the successor of Denise Biellmann :biggrin:
Just kidding :wink:
Let's not forget, in the short program she just beat the most difficult competition in the world. Even if she lost to Muraviova and Petrosian, okay she has the 3rd best short program in the entire world.
As I said after the ban: Who cares? The real World Championships are taking place in Russia. And as long as I can watch 1tv, everything is fine. Okay, almost. I should start learning Russian language. The AI translations are "sometimes"....weird :scratch2:

Skating91

Medalist
Kamila has already fallen on the 3Lz this season, and it's been the non-Ultra C-jump she's struggled with the most by far. It's less likely she'll fall on the 3Lz than on the 4T but not impossible.

She fell at the GP final on the lutz, and even in the warm up. The lutz always was a little awkward for her (relatively speaking she would get the correct edge on take off, it just wasn't as effortless as other jumps), but she never fell on it until then. When the fatigue set in in the free skate, the lutz becomes extremely hard for her now that she is much taller than two years ago.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
...I want to see her, Alina, and Veronika standing next to each other so I can compare their heights :laugh:

Adeliya vs Alina

EVT_3918S.jpg

Valieva vs Veronika

FF6A9284.jpg

Estimate: Adeliya 4'11, Veronika 5'3, Alina 5'2

Mathematician

Medalist
She fell at the GP final on the lutz, and even in the warm up. The lutz always was a little awkward for her (relatively speaking she would get the correct edge on take off, it just wasn't as effortless as other jumps), but she never fell on it until then. When the fatigue set in in the free skate, the lutz becomes extremely hard for her now that she is much taller than two years ago.
Good points but I still cant imagine Kamila losing gold off a triple. Would be a sorry end to this event.

Skating91

Medalist
Kami- 4T, Adelia Petrosyan - 4F, 4T, Sofia Muravyeva - 3A and 3A-2T - in planned content for tomorrow

Expected, and it's going to be extremely close. Even closer than I thought during the week given Adelia only has two quads. That's a real lack of confidence to go for two quads at the Russian championships at what should be her peak.

Muraviova landing both 3A is a realistic chance of victory.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I would be baffled if Mura was over 5'5. That would mean everyone else is huge, based off the draw ceremony. I also thought that Mura was taller than Kamila from the podium photos but after seeing more material Kamila is definitely taller. I dont think they would've grown since summer. Under 5'5 is about right for Mura I'm pretty sure. And a strong 5'5 for Valieva.
Maybe it's just the angle, but from the few pictures there are of Mura with other skaters at the draw, she doesn't look 5 or more cm shorter than Mark Kondratiuk, who claims to be 169 cm tall. 🤔 Hard to compare to the girls, many of them were wearing heels (basically all of the Ice Dancers, Kami, Dasha, etc.) :scratch2:

Mathematician

Medalist
Expected, and it's going to be extremely close. Even closer than I thought during the week given Adelia only has two quads. That's a real lack of confidence to go for two quads at the Russian championships at what should be her peak.

Muraviova landing both 3A is a realistic chance of victory.
I dont know if I see gold for Mura. I think the PCS isnt there either for her compared to Valieva. Valieva would have to drop a jump and maybe an extra mistake on top, Petrosian dropping a quad and Mura skating perfect.

Well, actually that doesnt sound too unreasonable, does it? Maybe you're right. I didnt expect it to be so close. I think I still have my money on Petrosian.

Mathematician

Medalist
Maybe it's just the angle, but from the few pictures there are of Mura with other skaters at the draw, she doesn't look 5 or more cm shorter than Mark Kondratiuk, who claims to be 169 cm tall. 🤔 Hard to compare to the girls, many of them were wearing heels (basically all of the Ice Dancers, Kami, Dasha, etc.) :scratch2:
I just checked the Photos with mark - they're fruitless for this unfortunately. He is either leaning or the perspective is off with one of them being far closer to the camera. I'm quite confident Mura is pushing 5'4.5" but who knows.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I just checked the Photos with mark - they're fruitless for this unfortunately. He is either leaning or the perspective is off with one of them being far closer to the camera. I'm quite confident Mura is pushing 5'4.5" but who knows.
None of us will know until the skaters decide to tell us... And even then we don't really know, do we? :dbana:

Mathematician

Medalist
She did at the Russian championships last year. She popped the 3Lz on the combo and was 2Lz+3T (might have been a 3F not 3Lz can't remember) It was the difference between gold. Plus butterflying the 3A in the short program, jump a 2A she wins.
She was 4th in SP that tournament with a popped axel, so big difference. Also this Valieva is far, far better than that one. That was Kamila at her worst.

Mathematician

Medalist
Oh, were you talking about RGPF, not Nats? Well she dropped the 3A and finished 3rd in SP there as well. And same argument on her form (in my opinion).

Skating91

Medalist
She was 4th in SP that tournament with a popped axel, so big difference. Also this Valieva is far, far better than that one. That was Kamila at her worst.

Sorry, but no, she was brilliant in the short program last year at Russian championships she popped the triple axel because she wasn't ready for it and butterflied instead of taking a fall. The rest of the program was a high level, like the free skate.

brakes

On the Ice
The difference between a model and a supermodel is the presence. The difference between a great figure skater and a star on ice is the presence. The presence of Kamila was always amazing, but now, with her feminine body, it's breathtaking. She IS a star and born ready for shows.

Kamila is not even grown physicaly the last months. Her presence also grew and now she is bigger than the rink. Kamila doesn't need a medal. Her presence reminds me a bit of Kati Witt back in 1994, when she was far away from medals, but her presence and star appeal was amazing and the figure skating world stood still for 3 minutes. Okay, Kamila is still the more competitive skater than Kati was 1994. But who cares about titles and medals? I want to enjoy this gorgeous star on ice. And if Kamila is happy everything is fine.
e31.jpg

Mathematician

Medalist
Kami - 4T, Adelia Petrosyan - 4F, 4T, Sofia Muravyeva - 3A and 3A-2T - in planned content for tomorrow
Alina plan 4S and Dasha plan 4T for tomorrow
Muravieva said in interview that her content will be based off tomorrows trainings.

Not sure if maybe she decided it doesnt matter - gold or nothing? Just go for it? Or that isnt her final content yet.

Mathematician

Medalist
Sorry, but no, she was brilliant in the short program last year at Russian championships she popped the triple axel because she wasn't ready for it and butterflied instead of taking a fall. The rest of the program was a high level, like the free skate.
What do you mean? That doesnt matter. The point is she has a lead here but then she was lagging hard. Therefore a 3Lz losing her a gold here would require much more misfortune. Firstly based off her other content and also the 2 girls trailing her.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Muravieva said in interview that her content will be based off tomorrows trainings.

Not sure if maybe she decided it doesnt matter - gold or nothing? Just go for it? Or that isnt her final content yet.
I mean, most skaters don't say it, but this is generally how skaters with Ultra-Cs approach competitions. Yes, some have one set layout, and they will push through that no matter what, but most will drop or include elements on the basis of what's working in training.

Like, for Sofia, likely the question will be two or one 3A. If the 3A really isn't working out, she might drop it completely in an effort to not fall off the podium entirely, as she would be able to fend off most of the skaters behind her with a clean skate even without a 3A.