Alena Kostornaia leaves Tutberidze | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia leaves Tutberidze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fried

Final Flight
Yep, that got brought up about Trusova when she moved to Plushenko before Kostornaia did was that she went from being the top prospect of the 3 and the season was talked about not if she would win but by how much would she win; when the season happened though she was unable to beat 2 of her rinkmates

That is exactly the case, but it has nothing to do with the question that it is about and that was "Kostornaya is the top ranked senior in the world, not to mention she is one of the most beautiful girls who has ever stepped on ice. And yet, it is Trusova getting endorsements, publicity etc"

One might as well have asked "Kostornaya is the top ranked senior in the world, not to mention she is one of the most beautiful girls who has ever stepped on ice. And yet, it is Zagitova getting endorsements, publicity etc".
This way of thinking is completely absurd.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Does anyone know why Alena hasn’t gotten any endorsements, but a skater like Anna has? Just curious. Sasha I understand 100%. She had all the hype going into the season. She was the quad queen that was about to take over the senior girls. But instead, Alena arrived. The whole issue of sponsors and endorsements confuses me. You’d think they’d be lining at the door for someone like Alena

Flanker said:
... the score of those two on the bigger competitions is just 5:4 for Sasha, considering Junior and senior nationals, junior worlds, JGPF, GPF and Europeans. Here is the list:

Sasha finishing above Aliona (not necesarilly winning the whole competition):
2017 RJN
2017 JGPF
2018 JW
2019 RN
2019 RJN

Aliona finishing above Sasha (also not necesarilly winning the whole competition):
2018 JGPF
2019 GPF
2020 RN
2020 Europeans

You forgot RJN 2018, Cup of Russia 2018(and the fact that Alyona never beat Sasha at Moscow/Russian novice competitions 5:0 in Trusova favor). I think these 7 Sasha's victories slightly change the picture of the rivalry:agree2:

To me, what these results show is that at first (novices, etc.) Sasha was the better skater of the two, but in the last year Aliona caught up with her and surpassed her, at least in terms of results in major senior competitions.

IMHO opinion, comparing the two (or comparing Trusova to anyone else at all), it comes down to how many quads Triusova does. 5 -- Trusova wins no matter what any other skaters do. 4 -- same if they are all clean. 3 -- gives the others a chance.

If there is a skating season at all, this could be the most exciting of all time.

Last edited:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
That is exactly the case, but it has nothing to do with the question that it is about and that was "Kostornaya is the top ranked senior in the world, not to mention she is one of the most beautiful girls who has ever stepped on ice. And yet, it is Trusova getting endorsements, publicity etc"

One might as well have asked "Kostornaya is the top ranked senior in the world, not to mention she is one of the most beautiful girls who has ever stepped on ice. And yet, it is Zagitova getting endorsements, publicity etc".
This way of thinking is completely absurd.

I agree that the 1st statement comes off as very dismissive of Sasha - who may not have been the top ranked senior this past season, but is certainly as talented and accomplished as Aliona.

Your 2nd statment makes no sense at all. Alina is the Olympic Champion (not to mention World Champion). Of course it makes sense she would be getting endorsements, publicity, etc....

If anything, I would question why Alina didn't get the publicity she deserved right after the Olympics in her home country of Russia.
But that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

It would have made much more sense if you had used Anna in your second example. Almost directly comparable to both Sasha and Aliona.

Amei

Record Breaker
Does anyone know why Alena hasn’t gotten any endorsements, but a skater like Anna has? Just curious. Sasha I understand 100%. She had all the hype going into the season. She was the quad queen that was about to take over the senior girls. But instead, Alena arrived. The whole issue of sponsors and endorsements confuses me. You’d think they’d be lining at the door for someone like Alena

Not sure why that needed to be included :unsure: Shcherbakova while she didn't beat Kostornaia at the GPF Final or Europeans is 2-time defending Russian national champion which is talked about as being the most difficult/competitive competition, and came into seniors with quads and 1 Russian Nationals title. Additionally, she's probably helped in her potential marketability because she's fluent in English, she did her post-win interview at Skate America from the Kiss and Cry in English.

Regarding Kostornaia: For starters contracts take months to do, when the season started it was an unknown if Kostornaia had the triple axel back or would put it in competitions, and even if she did triple axels are something that's been done on and off since the early 90's and once Mao came on the scene they were done at pretty much every competition she was in. Only a handful ladies have ever attempted a quad in competition, and up until this year it was extremely rare, now 2 skaters were throwing multiple quads it was pretty historic this season even if that didn't mean they won the overall competition against someone that was doing a triple axel in the SP (Shcherbakova did win both FS's at GPF and Europeans). GPF while it is a big competition I don't think it's seen in the same way as Europeans or Worlds. Then unfortunately Worlds got cancelled due to the pandemic and economies are generally in the toilet right now and companies are tightening their budgets up in case of further recession. Plus, we don't know if she doesn't have endorsements because she hasn't been offered 1 or if it's because she's declined them. She's been open at this point that she doesn't see herself having a long career, she's already marking down about her retirement after the Olympics to go to university, so maybe she's not wanting to do endorsement deals where it will be harder to blend into university as a normal student.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

"Skater like Anna" is two time senior champion of Russia in a row, junior vice champion of the world, europan silver medalist (literally by an inch for which her 4F was called UR :) ) and 2019 GPF vice champion. I would also add that Anna won all six free programs during the season she skated and that she is just limited by that stupid rule saying that ladies can't do quad in the short program, which makes no sense if 3A is allowed.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think many forget the hype that was around Shcherbakova when she was a novice not even junior. She had more hype than Trusova. Thanks to videos of her doing 10 or 11 triples jumps layout for an EX and 4T-3T-3lo combos + many people apparently thinking she was the most artistically gifted Eteri's skater. She was invited to Dreams on ice show in Japan before her first junior season. But she got injured (broken leg) and missed half of the season. She could have been the first to land 4T if she hadn't gotten injured and Trusova wouldn't have gotten all the spotlight for herself during her 1st junior season. She was designated as the next superstar. And she has a good manager who knew how to capitalize on that hype since then + her results are very respectable.
Trusova despite landing 4S combos in practice didn't have so much hype and Kostornaya was not known.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
"Skater like Anna" is two time senior champion of Russia in a row, junior vice champion of the world, europan silver medalist (literally by an inch for which her 4F was called UR :) ) and 2019 GPF vice champion. I would also add that Anna won all six free programs during the season she skated and that she is just limited by that stupid rule saying that ladies can't do quad in the short program, which makes no sense if 3A is allowed.
Let me explain. Many people dislike Anna because of her excessive pre-rotation (both triples and quads) and poor skating skills. Most of her jumps have no significant height nor significant distance. (In another FS forum people are saying that she can barely jump over a newspaper.)

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Let me explain. Many people dislike Anna because of her excessive pre-rotation (both triples and quads) and poor skating skills. Most of her jumps have no significant height nor significant distance. (In another FS forum people are saying that she can barely jump over a newspaper.)

LET ME EXPLAIN....
I don't think there are many (if any) companies and sponsors that are obsessed with pre-rotation and lutz edges like you are.
And the topic being discussed here was why Anna has endorsements.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
LET ME EXPLAIN....
I don't think there are many (if any) companies and sponsors that are obsessed with pre-rotation and lutz edges like you are.
I have no idea why she has them. :) If I had to decide I would have given them to other skaters (with good technique, of course).

Pantsu

On the Ice
Anna doesn't need any titles to gain sponsorship. It is not rocket science
All you have to do is to watch her perfomances and understand her character
Gotta be not-a-hater though

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
LET ME EXPLAIN....

Nooo, no way! I’m sure all marketing managers of all companies are looking closely who prerotated minimally and who doesn’t! That’s their life mantra and the sole selection criteria!
Brand book? Throw that out of the window! :D
Who cares about what the brand represents and what brand’s identity is? It doesn’t matter, all they care about is prerotation, that’s a 100%.

Besides, we all know Anna is a culprit and a great sinner, she knows how to jump perfectly, but she doesn’t do it because she likes to have people angry at her, and she’s obviously the sole person in the world who doesn’t jump perfectly, so why Nike picked her is a mystery only Sherlock can solve.

/sarcasm warning for some of our smart forum members/

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

I have no idea why she has them. :) If I had to decide I would have given them to other skaters (with good technique, of course).

Personal animosity of several users towards Anna is widely known here, but - apart from the fact that self-proclaimed armchair judges on social networks have no authority before Nike - just like lesnar have said, it has nothing to do with the question of endorsements.

BTW what brand do you represent? :biggrin: The words about "if I would have, than I would give" remind me the words from one czech fairytale where spoiled prince threatens "and my daddy will declare war on you" :rofl:

Scott512

Record Breaker
I find the Plushenko's comment that Alena didn't like her programs was strange and out of character for her. It was just last season when Alena herself said in an interview that of course she gets to pick her programs and has a say in it, she's the one skating it not her coaches. If she didn't like her programs, I would think that she would've spoken to her coaches. And after her first season with the team (when she had her lyrical Stella's Theme choreographed by Daniil), she gave an interview saying she doesn't like slow lyrical pieces and prefers something faster and more edgy. It was also around that time they changed her FS from the lyrical piece to Twilight. She also said publicly that she doesn't like being seen in the image of an angel, referencing her SP.

It would be strange for her to be "lying publicly" all those times to explain all those different music choices, no? It would be more likely that Plushenko was lying or the publisher/interviewer.
It would be strange for Aliona to be a liar. That is not the case in my opinion. The pandemic has caused problems for everyone in the world and aliona not training for months and losing her triple axel changed her and her desire to stay with TT. One of her favorite coaches young Sergey had gone to plushenko and that was probably the opening for Plushy to get her to transfer to him right after Sasha did.

Plushenko should have kept that quiet and not gone public with it and the same with eg on more than one occasion.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Nooo, no way! I’m sure all marketing managers of all companies are looking closely who prerotated minimally and who doesn’t! That’s their life mantra and the sole selection criteria!
Brand book? Throw that out of the window! :D
Who cares about what the brand represents and what brand’s identity is? It doesn’t matter, all they care about is prerotation, that’s a 100%.

Besides, we all know Anna is a culprit and a great sinner, she knows how to jump perfectly, but she doesn’t do it because she likes to have people angry at her, and she’s obviously the sole person in the world who doesn’t jump perfectly, so why Nike picked her is a mystery only Sherlock can solve.

/sarcasm warning for some of our smart forum members/

Sarcasm? What is it? :biggrin:

Nice new avatar, BTW :agree:

Status
Not open for further replies.