2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 166 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott512

Record Breaker
There is nothing hypocritical about Rafarel Arutunian believing that the sport of figure skating would be better served by increasing the senior age limit, and on the other hand doing the best he can with youthful skaters who come to him for training under the current or past rules.

(And that's my contribution to the "Russian ladies" thread for today. :)

If he was so against underage skaters on the senior level he wouldn't have had any. ;) But he astutely saw greatness in the then boy Nathan Chen and the rest is history and it's great history. Professor flanker pointed out Nathan was beating seniors when he was only 16 which is underage for what Raf wants in figure skating. And it's great as a coach he has nurtured this young man so well and he can become an all-time great skater. But Raf can't have it both ways.

Am I imagining things or do all the great 15 and under figure skaters come from Russian ladies the past 8 years? It kind of makes you go hmmmmmm.

Am I imagining things or do all the great 15 and under figure skaters come from Russian ladies the past 8 years? It kind of makes you go hmmmmmm.

The great majority of the top ladies in figure skating in the last 8 years have come from Russia.

I am not sure that this makes me go hmmmmmm, though.

Scott512

Record Breaker
On a side note since the figure skating age limit may be raised to 18 which is what most people wanted at we wouldn't have seen Evgenia in the last winter Olympics or Alina in the last winter Olympics or Sotnikova or Yulia in Sochi. I can only speak for myself but figure skating would not have been better if those girls did not participate in those 2 Olympic Games. If those four girls came from America or Canada I don't think the push to raise the age limit to 18 would be as strong as it is and that may be an understatement on my part.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I disagree. I think that "most people" are content with the current age limit of 15.

OK, because that means the majority doesn't support the change and any reason for the change supported by the solid evidence wasn't really offered till now, then we can abandon the age topic unless some true reason for it's reconsidering apart from "I don't like it" would eventually appear :)

��

Now you've got me twice. I am not sure what this emoticon means, and I am not sure what Hmmmmmm means in this context.

In the 1920s and 1930s Austria was a skating power house. In the late 1930s British ladies won 9 world championship medals. U.S. men won 12 straight world championships from 1948 to 1959. Russian men won three straight Olympic gold medals and 7 straight world championships in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

All very interesting, to be sure.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Sounds like Bolero

It does! Now, that would be an interesting choice but quite the test as well. It‘s not an easy music to skate to, you need a lot of rhythm and charisma to sell it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDmB3vipEFX/?igshid=1d0cz1ktscsnh

Kamila has her quad back!

Also, does anyone know the music playing? I'm assuming it's her FS?

She has such a beautiful 4T! :luv17:

But I see they have succeeded in making the traditional leg kick look even more awkward. :slink:

ruga

Final Flight
It may as well be someone else's music that's playing in the background, but hopefully not, because it really suits her well.

zounger

Medalist
Bolero is a nice choice for Valieva even though they are other candidates too who can pull a nice Bolero in Sambo-70. For Valieva it looks like a build up program with eyes on Olympics.

OK, because that mean the majority doesn't support the change and any reason for the change supported by the solid evidence wasn't really offered till now, then we can abandon the age topic unless some true reason for it's reconsidering apart from "I don't like it" would eventually appear :)

Not at all. There are many reasons why people support raising the age limit, and many people have solid reasons for their opinions and have offered at least anecdotal evidence in support of their views. There are many "true reasons" why a change might be considered.

However, I believe that such people are in the minority. This does not make them either right or wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.