2021 Worlds: Men's' Free Skate | Page 80 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Men's' Free Skate

Janice4th

On the Ice
Nathan has a style that works for him, and it is artistic. He is not classical in the way that Kolyada is, but it IS a style that works for me - and more importantly for him. For that matter, Hanyu doesn't have the carriage and presence that Kolyada/Jason/Shoma have either. They don't open their backs and lift their triceps. BUT they have artistic merit and skating skills. Neither of them look like they are skating jump to jump for me -like some of the other do. They have strong choreo, interesting transitions, and they skate from the heart.
You said it so much better than I did. Thanks.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought he seemed deflated as soon as he stepped onto the ice for the warmup... Even his saying hello was muted. Odd, his run-through this morning had gone well? I wonder what happened in-between...
I wondered if it was the lack of a live audience. He's said before how much he appreciates the support. Some skaters rely on the audience or actually need their give and take.

readernick

Medalist
Highly possible although it won't be next year, perhaps in 2026. It's also likely because I don't really see anyone of his calibre in his age group. For men it is usually not like a junior arrives and starts to dominate, but I don't see anyone as good as Yuma at the moment who is still that young.
I think Shun Sato who is Yuma's friend and rival ( and one year younger) is going to be a force in 5 years. He is an amazing jumper and I think he will do the first 5T. He doesn't have the SS or musicality of Yuma but there is a fight, passion, and talent there and his basic skating isn't bad for a 16 year old. He can grow. He may challenge. Other than that, maybe Artur D. if he comes back strong from injury. But, Yuma is going to make a name for himself. The basic posture/ skating of Shoma with better jumps. ( And less fire/ emotion.. But that may come)

merleice

Rinkside
I just read elsewhere that he also arrived late at the venue, apparently. And he didn't really seem to care about losing, I thought. Hope all is well in his life...
I might watch the press conference to get a better feel for how he feels right now.
His travel plans were disrupted due to the earthquake that hit Sendai a few days before he was supposed to set off. Don’t know the extent to which his training was disrupted by the earlier earthquake that hit around the anniversary of 311. I don’t know how he feels about competing right now, but when he announced his FS last December he said something about the drama’s/historical figure it is based on having to fight when they don’t want to, and I’ve been a bit worried since then though he looked so happy when he won nationals. Hope all is well 🙏🏻

Cyt150

Rinkside
Country
Singapore
Apparently he will retire. Even if he doesn't, there is no chance for him to be competing at the Olympics (Shen/Zhao just won't let it happen), as the 1 spot would definitely be assigned to Jin. As his fan, it makes me hearbroken that it is not his fault to lose the 2nd spot, but he has to live with the consequences.
I feel he should go to Olympic next year

readernick

Medalist
Apparently he will retire. Even if he doesn't, there is no chance for him to be competing at the Olympics (Shen/Zhao just won't let it happen), as the 1 spot would definitely be assigned to Jin. As his fan, it makes me hearbroken that it is not his fault to lose the 2nd spot, but he has to live with the consequences.
This is the saddest storyline of this Worlds for me. No hate toward Boyang but Han is getting punished for another skater's bad competition. I love his skating and have a little crush too. It just feels so wrong!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yuma has his olympic spot locked. Even if he surprisingly does worse next season. As long he's in top5 at nats he will be fine. Worlds medalists of previous season are rarely left out of the team and he's the highest finisher. And JSF will sure push him to be the n.1.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I couldn't keep my hands steady to write, what an awesome but weird competition! I am terribly happy for Keegan and his beautiful Guns'n Roses program! After the small disaster in ladies, at least Canada has two men, as men field is more crowded in Canada, right now.
I was also happy for Nathan, what a gorgeous skater! Jason was again just Jason Brown-ballet on ice.

Janice4th

On the Ice
I actually understood it somewhat for the first time listening to Mark Hanretty's commentary. Mind you - not enough to actually write about it here, but listening to him I could start to follow what the PCS requirements were and how they are arrived at.
Who is this Mark Hanretty, and how do I hear this?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think Shun Sato who is Yuma's friend and rival ( and one year younger) is going to be a force in 5 years. He is an amazing jumper and I think he will do the first 5T. He doesn't have the SS or musicality of Yuma but there is a fight, passion, and talent there and his basic skating isn't bad for a 16 year old. He can grow. He may challenge. Other than that, maybe Artur D. if he comes back strong from injury. But, Yuma is going to make a name for himself. The basic posture/ skating of Shoma with better jumps. ( And less fire/ emotion.. But that may come)
Possible, but I've seen Shun Sato win the JGPF in 2019 and while he was technically very good he is not the kind of skater Yuma is and I don't think he will ever be. There is just something about the smoothness and skating skills - I don't think he is Olympic Gold medal material, but who knows. For me Yuma is also not as good as Shoma and in certain aspects I also don't think he will ever be that way, but I see him surpassing Shoma's results.

Shoma has something that I've only ever seen in Daisuke Takahashi. But then even Shoma isn't as good as Daisuke in his prime, but he still can grow. He still had programs at this Worlds he had before he went to Lambiel, and with them he had the worst skates of his career. It's better to leave them behind soon. But I'm sure they will do something really special next season.

Shoma's programs in his senior debut season were already so much better than Yuma's. Yuma is not able to get me emotionally like Shoma and Yuzuru did at 17, but I have to admit he is a brilliant young skater who has all the goods to get far.

Ella339

On the Ice
His travel plans were disrupted due to the earthquake that hit Sendai a few days before he was supposed to set off.
Yes, he missed his planned flight into Stockholm because an earthquake hit right before he was due to leave, but that's not what I was talking about. He arrived late for the free skate today, apparently. And didn't do his hair, which is also uncharacteristic? I wouldn't know about that last part, I'm not that much of a stan! But I just have a bad feeling...

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Highly possible although it won't be next year, perhaps in 2026. It's also likely because I don't really see anyone of his calibre in his age group. For men it is usually not like a junior arrives and starts to dominate, but I don't see anyone as good as Yuma at the moment who is still that young.
There us some Russians of 17yo who showed some good qualities. Mark Kondriatuk for example. The only thing they really lack is consistency.