2021 Worlds: Men's' Free Skate | Page 81 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Men's' Free Skate

readernick

Medalist
Possible, but I've seen Shun Sato win the JGPF in 2019 and while he was technically very good he is not the kind of skater Yuma is and I don't think he will ever be. There is just something about the smoothness and skating skills - I don't think he is Olympic Gold medal material, but who knows. For me Yuma is also not as good as Shoma and in certain aspects I also don't think he will ever be that way, but I see him surpassing Shoma's results.

Shoma has something that I've only ever seen in Daisuke Takahashi. But then even Shoma isn't as good as Daisuke in his prime, but he still can grow. He still had programs at this Worlds he had before he went to Lambiel, and with them he had the worst skates of his career. It's better to leave them behind soon. But I'm sure they will do something really special next season.

Shoma's programs in his senior debut season were already so much better than Yuma's. Yuma is not able to get me emotionally like Shoma and Yuzuru did at 17, but I have to admit he is a brilliant young skater who has all the goods to get far.
Shun reminds me of Han Yu before he got confident. But, he will obviously never have Yuma's SS ( very few skaters do) .I still see so much potential there...

I agree about Shoma's emotional power. His skates make me cry sometimes. Yuma just makes me appreciate. But, I think he can grow. His hero is Shoma after all. I wonder what it is like beating your hero?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think Shun Sato who is Yuma's friend and rival ( and one year younger) is going to be a force in 5 years. He is an amazing jumper and I think he will do the first 5T. He doesn't have the SS or musicality of Yuma but there is a fight, passion, and talent there and his basic skating isn't bad for a 16 year old. He can grow. He may challenge. Other than that, maybe Artur D. if he comes back strong from injury. But, Yuma is going to make a name for himself. The basic posture/ skating of Shoma with better jumps. ( And less fire/ emotion.. But that may come)
Both Sato and Danielian are great... I’d cautiously point to Kutovoy, but his next couple of years will show how much he can progress in jumping ability (and, happily, for now he doesn’t have ‘next Plushenko’ pressures.) He is a natural dancer though, and wonderful performer.

Janice4th

On the Ice
Possible, but I've seen Shun Sato win the JGPF in 2019 and while he was technically very good he is not the kind of skater Yuma is and I don't think he will ever be. There is just something about the smoothness and skating skills - I don't think he is Olympic Gold medal material, but who knows. For me Yuma is also not as good as Shoma and in certain aspects I also don't think he will ever be that way, but I see him surpassing Shoma's results.

Shoma has something that I've only ever seen in Daisuke Takahashi. But then even Shoma isn't as good as Daisuke in his prime, but he still can grow. He still had programs at this Worlds he had before he went to Lambiel, and with them he had the worst skates of his career. It's better to leave them behind soon. But I'm sure they will do something really special next season.

Shoma's programs in his senior debut season were already so much better than Yuma's. Yuma is not able to get me emotionally like Shoma and Yuzuru did at 17, but I have to admit he is a brilliant young skater who has all the goods to get far.
Daisuke is one of my most favorite skaters! I love Shoma’s skating, too.

readernick

Medalist
Both Sato and Danielian are great... I’d cautiously point to Kutovoy, but his next couple of years will show how much he can progress in jumping ability (and, happily, for now he doesn’t have ‘next Plushenko’ pressures.) He is a natural dancer though, and wonderful performer.
He definitely has the performance ability down. I am not sure he has the SS or jumps yet. But, it could come. He is so cute!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, he missed his planned flight into Stockholm because an earthquake hit right before he was due to leave, but that's not what I was talking about. He arrived late for the free skate today, apparently. And didn't do his hair, which is also uncharacteristic? I wouldn't know about that last part, I'm not that much of a stan! But I just have a bad feeling...
I think you're overanalyzing.

No one is immune to pressure. He had a bad day. It happens.

He also skated after one of the greatest free skates in history, and he knew he had to be absolutely perfect. With the first mistake, he knew his shot at gold was probably over, and he was understandably deflated. After that, his program didn't have the usual spark.

All of this is absolutely human and normal. For all the semi-deification that his most ardent fans ascribe to him, he is a man with entirely normal human emotions.

readernick

Medalist
Yuzuru hasn't had a coach all year. Hopefully he can get back to Canada this summer. What was more upsetting than his placement was that he did seem to give up after the first mistake. I hope he isn't getting too discouraged by Nathan's dominance...
I really hope he doesn't because their rivalry ( while neither is a personal favorite of mine) is making this sport better. He is the only one ( right now) who can beat Nathan . ( He has to be clean but he can). It makes all the men better. Look at how great this competition was. Yuzuru is one of the men who did that for the sport.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Han's social media post really upsets me. "I tried my best tonight, ... figure skating is life. No one knows what happens next, but I'll continue to skate for you audiences even if I'm no longer competing. ..."
It's not a retirement announcement ofc but the way he phrases it... just sounds heartbreaking.
Great. Now I am really sad :cry:

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
I went to see if Yuzu was a 3 times World Champion and was most surprised to find he isn't.

There is however a Japanese skeleton athlete called Yuzuru Hanyuda! How intriguing!
I know I'm late to answering you, but did you know there's 2 David Pelletiers? David Pelletier, Canadian Pairs Olympic champion, and David Pelletier, American pairs national junior bronze medallist. Unrelated, but what a crazy coincidence

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuzuru hasn't had a coach all year. Hopefully he can get back to Canada this summer. What was more upsetting than his placement was that he did seem to give up after the first mistake. I hope he isn't getting too discouraged by Nathan's dominance...
I watched it again. I don't think he gave up. He was better in the second half than in the first. It's weird that he made mistakes on both 3As, which is one of his best jumps. The last three skates at this competition were all very exciting.

Wafflecakes

On the Ice
Rewatching now. WTF is up with Kolyada's top?

Literally painful to look at.

He is such a handsome guy. Pretty even. I miss his early career costumes.

readernick

Medalist
I admire what Nathan did here and his crazy jumps, but he can't just be snoozy for 3:50 then freak out the last 10 seconds and win all the PCS.
I think I usually agree with your opinions about skating but about this I disagree. Nathan is not a favorite of mine but he really performed that program from start to finish. I think a more valid discussion that could be had is about his lack of transitions. This is the one area he really doesn't excel at even in this FS.

bouncy

☀️
On the Ice
It's so sad. Couldn't china get another spot as a host country?
I don't think so. Remember RusFed didn't make an extra spot for their men back in Sochi, and they chose Plushenko over Kovtun who placed 1st at RusNats.