2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Men's Free Skate | Page 79 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Men's Free Skate

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What they decided a couple of decades ago might have changed. Like I said, Canada is a nice country. I think they might like it here. It worked for Messing.
It took US forever to release Keegan. If he wants to wait to compete for years over a perceived slight go for it I guess. Keegan also had citizenship through his mother.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It still doesn't change that Nationals has always been seen as the crucial determining factor for selecting the Olympic team (yes, ik about Nagasu and Ross Miner, but my point still stands). I'm just upset that such a talent who delivered outstanding skates will not be able to compete in Beijing. It's like the results of Nationals were not at all taken into account. Btw, not really directed at you, but it's not that I wish Ilia would be going in place of a specific other skater. I do not wish for either Jason or Vincent to lose their spots, but I am just so sad for Ilia. I've been really excited about him as an American figure skating fan for the past year and going to Beijing could have helped him hone his mental game throughout the next quad. Maybe even an outside chance at top 5 or podium?? (unlikely I know, but a small chance nonetheless). He doesn't seem like the type to be devastated by this, so it could well be that I am taking this too hard haha...
They changed the criteria to consider the entire "body of work," not just Nationals. Why should someone who has one good competition be selected over someone who has skated well during the entire season? It's actually kind of a Ross Miner situation, except that Ross was at the end of his career. Ilia will have many more times to prove himself and compete for another Olympic spot.

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
The only other option is 4CC
There's a lot of small competitions between now and the Feb 28 deadline that are ISU events and thus count for tech minimums. (Bavarian Open, Challenge Cup, etc.) I'm assuming he'll attend one of those. USFS has a TBD spot reserved at Bavarian Open for a senior man so it could be there.

I am glad they gave him Worlds though, he certainly earned it. I wonder if he'll do both senior and junior worlds this year, he has a real chance of winning gold in juniors!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It took US forever to release Keegan. If he wants to wait to compete for years over a perceived slight go for it I guess. Keegan also had citizenship through his mother.

This. Either he gets the US to release him (not happening) or he doesn't skate in international comps for two years to gain the ability to switch countries without a release.

Seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face to me, but hey, I'm not Ilia🤷‍♀️

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
There's a lot of small competitions between now and the Feb 28 deadline that are ISU events and thus count for tech minimums. (Bavarian Open, Challenge Cup, etc.) I'm assuming he'll attend one of those. USFS has a TBD spot reserved at Bavarian Open for a senior man so it could be there.

I am glad they gave him Worlds though, he certainly earned it. I wonder if he'll do both senior and junior worlds this year, he has a real chance of winning gold in juniors!
I am happy they did, I hope he does both JWC and WC, because with cancellations, he needs as many shots as possible to set up for next season. since he is 1st alt, I hope he gets TES asap, to get it out of the way and secure that WC spot iron-clad, because Brown is 1st alt.

twirlingblades

Medalist
They changed the criteria to consider the entire "body of work," not just Nationals. Why should someone who has one good competition be selected over someone who has skated well during the entire season? It's actually kind of a Ross Miner situation, except that Ross was at the end of his career. Ilia will have many more times to prove himself and compete for another Olympic spot.
… are you comparing Ross miner to Ilia Malinin. Yikes

….. anyway since ilia can’t go to 4CC, it’s less opportunity to get points for senior GP spots next year.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought a skater can switch his/her country after 2 years?
Either 2 years of not competing internationally at all or when your Fed released you. 2 years is a LONG time for a figure skater. So let’s say Ilia decides to skate for (whatever other country). He can’t compete for the next 2 years. Because US Fed will never release him.

dhjh811

On the Ice
I find Ilia and Ross Miner to be in completely different situations, despite both having finished 2nd. That's about where the similarities end. Ilia is an up and coming talent who has a high ceiling. His performances here were outstanding and his technical abilities put him right among the top competitiors in mens figure skating. Ross Miner's skates were frankly subpar but benefited from having skaters more likely to make the Olympics bomb. Even at his best, he still was going to have a tough time breaking the top 10 in the Olympics. But ig nobody is going to persuade anybody, and we'll just all have to agree to disagree.

perhaps "subpar" was harsh. What I meant was that Miner's skates were nothing special compared to the standards of the men's field 4 years ago, and this is clearly not the case with Ilia today. And somebody correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that Ilia and Jason were in the same priority group according to the criteria set by USFS? So no, I don't think it would have been unfair to include Ilia in the Olympic team. At least, the criteria that includes body of work shouldn't be used as an argument to immediately justify Ilia being off the team bcs according to that same criteria, him and Jason are in the same group.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

….. anyway since ilia can’t go to 4CC, it’s less opportunity to get points for senior GP spots next year.
I hope he will have 2GP via posting in highest season scores and high, if not even podium, placement in the Worlds. Then he is all set for next season.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, just pointing out that each had only one good skate for the committee to consider when making its selection. I said it was different because Ross was at the end of his career, which, of course, was middling.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Watched Tara and Johnny tonight....very interesting..
1. Tracy Wilson is asymptomatic so far, thankfully, and told Jason to Feel the Love from the crowd....
2. Yaroslav's issue(s) were unclear...bad lace? Bad boot? favoring right ankle? Johnny said he has had equipment issues this season, IIRC.
3. AJ interviewed Ilia, who calls himself the QuadGod. He thinks he deserves to go to the Olympics. Tara and Johnny love him.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Watched Tara and Johnny tonight....very interesting..
2. Yaroslav's issue(s) were unclear...bad lace? Bad boot? favoring right ankle? Johnny said he has had equipment issues this season, IIRC.

He’s had a groin injury. He was named to Skate America but withdrew. I really hope he does not now have an ankle issue.

Your description of Tara and Johnny make me disinclined to watch it.

sworddance21

On the Ice
I think everyone should keep in mind it is a National championship. Not an Olympic trials. It’s rumbling around in my mind that there’s an actual reason we don’t have an Olympic trials. But I can’t remember what it is.
Well, I think it is because ice is slippery 😊 and one bad skate could leave a potential medalist off the team. I feel like that happened at some point, but I can't find the example. For example, Track and Field has true trials and they have ended up leaving reigning World Champs off the team.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I think it is because ice is slippery 😊 and one bad skate could leave a potential medalist off the team. I feel like that happened at some point, but I can't find the example. For example, Track and Field has true trials and they have ended up leaving reigning World Champs off the team.
No I mean something with USFS and ISU and yes swimming is like that also.

For that matter, does any country hold a skating Olympic trials?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wait. Where is there any indication that Ilia is going to switch federations?

There isn't any. This is based on people on the internet spouting off because they're disappointed with team selection.

There's no reason to give this speculation any credence or life at all.