2022 Olympics Team Event Day2: Men's Free Skate | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day2: Men's Free Skate

TCAngel18

Medalist
Yeah, def saw that coming. Vincent gets called all the time for UR’s but that popped Flip didn’t help. ROC can safely afford to put Davis in to protect Nikita’s back and still win gold at this point. I would SCREAM though, and honestly it would be smart, if ROC puts Tarasova/Morozov in instead. This way, it protects Mishina and Galliamov from losing twice to Sui and Han, ROC still has the gold, and Eteri still gets her 40 percent cut from winnings for another gold medalist. It depends on what Russia values more, their chances at a gold in Pairs, or “gold” (silver) in Ice Dance.

CrazyKittenLady

Thanks for skating, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
My take away from the men's FS:
- wooohoooo, second place for Mark :yahoo:
- I wouldn't be mad about Olympic Champion Yuma Kagiyama
- Roman is a skater whose skating I could fall in love with. But I better don't, he seems even more inconsistent than my Russian lads :cry:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yeah good luck with that...

If the people complaining about this could have manifested Vincent finishing last at Nats so he'd be knocked outta the higher tier they sure would have.

Forget praying for world peace or even a helicopter. Vincent falling on his face would surely be the miracle we'd want to see. 🙄
LOL! Yeah, I forgot about young Ilia. :rofl: U.S. fed decided to give Vincent some experience at the last Olympics. They'd have been better off giving Ilia some experience at this Olympics, sans Vincent btw, not sans Jason. LOL for days. Yep, Vincent has never been a favorite of mine. Sometimes he delivers stellar performances (but not with the artistry some people seem to think he has, mind you). And apparently when least expected, and at inopportune moments, he gets the yips.

With the poor performance that Vincent put out in the fp at U.S. Nationals, he should have been in fourth behind Jason, and let 1,2,3 be the team, without any further drama, actually. No need for Vincent falling on his face, when he had already badly botched the fp at Nationals. The dumbfounding U.S. fed judging panel, simply decided to give Vincent a 'get out of jail free and go to the Olympics card,' instead of dumping him. And then they made a huge drama out of selecting Jason over young-gun talent, Ilia. Once again, it should have been Ilia over Vincent.

This ain't a good statement either for Vincent in the individual events. Let's just say that neither Vincent, nor Boyang are gonna see the podium in the individual events. Too much better talent is ahead of them!

Good grief. What are the numbers and placements at this point. I'm lost.

Last edited:

Flystyle02

Spectator
Listen, if you are a figure skater and you say you are proud to represent our country and you are selected for the Olympic team you go and do your job and do what’s best for the team. So if Nathan wanted to skip the free skate to rest for the individual event then shame on him. I think at this point Mariah will need to skate the free skate to save the silver medal. I think pairs stays the same abs hubbell and Donahue stay the same for pairs and ice dance free. Karen can’t get it done. Mariah could get 2nd behind Russia and save the silver medal. Japan is not going to catch up to us in ice dance or pairs so we need a solid 2nd or third in ladies.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
It was interesting today that even if some of Yuma's landings were not ideal, there was no danger of a serious mistake. He skates as if it was only a warm-up for him. I think we can expect showdowns between Nathan and Yuma in the (very) near future.

Flystyle02

Spectator
you know... i didn't like him that much at worlds last year... but tonight i was :bow:
He definitely delivered but I don’t think he has the PCS to match hanyu or Chen but he could get the bronze or silver depending what the top two guys do

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
yup... if a team wants gold at this point they need to show up for it... i got a lot of flack for saying Nathan should skate this.. but the proof is in the pudding.

Oh we all knew Chen should skate this for the best shot at gold. Same with Liu. But Russia was slated to win this from the jump and burning out their individual gold medal shot is asinine.

Important to consider. After hearing Yuma’s score that would have put a TON of pressure on Chen. And if Chen lost to Yuma it would have been a REALLY bad things. Chen’s FS scores internationally this season are all lower than what Yuma just got.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Listen, if you are a figure skater and you say you are proud to represent our country and you are selected for the Olympic team you go and do your job and do what’s best for the team. So if Nathan wanted to skip the free skate to rest for the individual event then shame on him. I think at this point Mariah will need to skate the free skate to save the silver medal. I think pairs stays the same abs hubbell and Donahue stay the same for pairs and ice dance free. Karen can’t get it done. Mariah could get 2nd behind Russia and save the silver medal. Japan is not going to catch up to us in ice dance or pairs so we need a solid 2nd or third in ladies.
Actually, Japan is more than capable of defeating the US in pairs! M/K have proven to be more consistent than K/F this season.

Remilia

On the Ice
The gold was lost for USA as soon as Karen fall on that triple in the women's short, so Vincent's 3rd place finish really doesn't matter. I don't know why they didn't use Alysa or why she wasn't in Beijing, but I hope it was due to covid reasons and not the USFS just being dumb. This also shows why they should have picked Ilia...