2022 Olympics: Men's Short Program | Page 105 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics: Men's Short Program

taikwan

On the Ice
That’s such a bad example though, because the US had already won that event. Not only was it not necessary for her to do the vault, she certainly shouldn’t have been asked to do it. She should not have been allowed to do it. It is a coaches responsibility to care for their athletes physically, not sacrifice them on the altar of their own notoriety. She destroyed her leg and her career was over. For nothing. Even if the US had not already won the event, she was injured and permanently messed up her leg doing that vault.
Former gymnastics judge here, attended all Olympic Trials since 2000 etc and you are correct big time. Bela was all about the glory. He sacrificed kids and their bodies right and left and Marta was even worse. And yes, we had already won the gold but he pushed her to do the vault and he wasn't even suppose to be on the floor. Did you know he practiced jumping over the barrier that's suppose to keep people off the floor?

DancingCactus

Final Flight
trying to watch a replay of the competition on ARD Sportschau and the have the gall to call that 1 1/2 h video "the full competition". They cut out almost all the early skaters and then restarted with Yuzu's skate. Wtf.

Last edited:

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
If Hanyu can commit a major error and get 47 PCS a flawless performance then 47 is totally justified for Chen… who did the two hardest quads instead of the 2 easiest quads with one popped to a single.
Invalid elements aren't considered "serious errors" in terms of PCS - This is what the official ISU rules (if you have a newer source with different information, please let me know) say about PCS caps:

"If a program contains a Serious error, the maximum scores are listed below:
Skating Skills, Transitions, Composition: Maximum score 9.75.
Performance and Interpretation: Maximum score 9.50.
If a program contains Serious errors, the maximum scores are listed below:
Skating Skills, Transitions, Composition: Maximum score 9.25.
Performance and Interpretation: Maximum score 8.75.
Serious errors are falls, interruptions during the program and technical mistakes that impact the integrity/continuity/fluidity of the composition and/or its relation to the music.
Similar limitations must be applied to all levels of Skaters from extremely poor to outstanding."

Would you consider Yuzuru's popped 4S to fall into any of these categories? 🤔 (I personally wouldn't - he went straight into a transition and went on with his program as if nothing had happened.)

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Why is the men's long program going in short program rank order at the Olympics? Usually it's random in groups of six.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i only have men to catch up with today!

- i hope Roman can figure what the problem is and bounce back next season.

- Nikolaj forgot his costume in Sweden but i want to give him an hug for his reaction after finishing the program. we all know what it meant to him.

- Sihyeong showed us what a Zombo is. @Ichatdelune :ghug:

- Donovan made it!!!! :hap10: gold medal for best K&C reaction ever! si!!!

- what's on Shmuratko's shirt, olympic edition

- the blessed Mark from Moscow can't work 3 miracles in a row

- i see Semenko won this round of the russian men roulette

- Kevin is finally back on track, i'm so happy to finally see him walk away from ice with a smile on his face :hap10:

- for a moment Hanyu got confused and believed he was skating to cellblock tango: Pop, six, squish, uh-uh, Cicero, Lipschitz

- mio figlio listened to his mama and brought back his beautiful 2018 olympic short. mama Elektra is proud of him:love2:

- il mio bambino Daniel made mama Elektra proud too, but it think it's time to fix those edges. mama Elektra loves you so much!:jump:

- Sinnerman deserved the olympic ice

Olympic

On the Ice
Wow. Nathan is King!

This was the most emotional I have been watching a skating competition.

Hats off to Nathan on his WR and successfully executing the most difficult program out there while not making it look like work.

I am gutted that Yuzu popped the Sal, so it can't be a huge showdown in the LP.

Congrats to Yuma on a great SP and a PB. Absolutely charming program and it suits him well.

Too bad Shoma had to put his hand down on the 4-3, but loved seeing the 4F from him.

That was the best ever program from Cha. I love the fact that a man is doing a 3-3 w/ a loop at the back end

It is nice to see Jason in the final group. I am happy the judges went with him over Semenenko

Joe Mendoza

Virtuously Shady Diva
Final Flight
Why is Brian Order not beside Yuzuru at the K&C during the short? Did I miss something?

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
trying to watch a replay of the competition on ARD Sportschau and the have the gall to call that 1 1/2 h video "the full competition". They cut out almost all the early skaters and then restarted with Yuzu's skate. Wtf.
At least they started with Yuzu. Eurosport Bulgaria started with Shoma waiting for his scores… So now I am searching for the full competition, because I didn’t see Yuzuru, Shoma, Mark and so many other skaters.

brigit66

On the Ice
Invalid elements aren't considered "serious errors" in terms of PCS - This is what the official ISU rules (if you have a newer source with different information, please let me know) say about PCS caps:

"If a program contains a Serious error, the maximum scores are listed below:
Skating Skills, Transitions, Composition: Maximum score 9.75.
Performance and Interpretation: Maximum score 9.50.
If a program contains Serious errors, the maximum scores are listed below:
Skating Skills, Transitions, Composition: Maximum score 9.25.
Performance and Interpretation: Maximum score 8.75.
Serious errors are falls, interruptions during the program and technical mistakes that impact the integrity/continuity/fluidity of the composition and/or its relation to the music.
Similar limitations must be applied to all levels of Skaters from extremely poor to outstanding."

Would you consider Yuzuru's popped 4S to fall into any of these categories? 🤔 (I personally wouldn't - he went straight into a transition and went on with his program as if nothing had happened.)
but giving 9,75 is too much with a pop and not so amazing skating overall, right? He was overscored, but hanyu could be never overscored because he has to have at least 9,25 while stepping on ice

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why didn’t he stop and go up to tech officials/ start over?
I'm glad he didn't. He skated through it and performed well. Let's face it--Hanyu has nothing to prove. If he doesn't get a third (third!) OGM, it will have no meaning in the long run.

frostcat

Spectator
Try out the replay of the live stream on ZDF. There you should find the whole event. (Not sure if you will need VPN though...)

Okay, just checked it out, it's only possible with VPN.

Here's the link: https://www.zdf.de/sport/olympia/eiskunstlauf/eiskunstlauf-kurzprogramm-m-100.html

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It happens. There was that giant chunk of ice missing at US nationals and they had to come do an emergency repair in the middle of the group. And Keegan got his toe pick caught in a divot at Worlds once. I’m sure three are tons of other examples. Just 2 I can think of off the top of my head.
Someone else already mentioned it, but Mao Asada in her free skate in Vancouver.