2022 Olympics: Men's Short Program | Page 117 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics: Men's Short Program

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Where is this coming from? I have now seen this multiple times all over the internet, Hanyu fans trying to claim it could be considered choreography. Is this another one of those ridiculously bad tiktok takes? Some trend on Twitter?

Hanyu clearly set up for a Salchow, moved onto the takeoff edge for a Salchow, took off for a Salchow, and clearly rotated for a single Salchow. No judge worth their salt could possibly mistake that for choreography, and no technical panel worth their salt would call it as anything other than a 1S*.

You have three jumping passes in the short program - no more, no less. Because the 1S* took up a jumping box, he could not substitute it in without invalidating another required jump. Two invalid jumping passes would have sunk him much lower than 95.
The "it could have been considered choreography" argument is especially ridiculous because Hanyu DIDN'T try to pass it off as choreo and DIDN'T add the jump later. If he had, we could be arguing about the fact that one of his later jumps was invalidated. As it is, there's just nothing to argue about. Unless they think Hanyu should get credit for a jump he didn't do (a theoretical second 4S) there's nothing to talk about.

Hanyu himself didn't try the jump again BECAUSE HE KNEW IT WOULDN'T COUNT.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The "it could have been considered choreography" argument is especially ridiculous because Hanyu DIDN'T try to pass it off as choreo and DIDN'T add the jump later. If he had, we could be arguing about the fact that one of his later jumps was invalidated. As it is, there's just nothing to argue about. Unless they think Hanyu should get credit for a jump he didn't do (a theoretical second 4S) there's nothing to talk about.

This whole thing is ridiculous. He skated over some bad ice and made an error. His response to this: "Hey, bad breaks happen."

He's been classy about the whole episode, and everyone should follow his lead.

GabrielleBaker

Spectator
It saddens me how something like this can blow up on social media. I personally thought Hanyu did not look focused at the start - he only seemed to go into his 'fierce concentration mode' after the pop.

I think he is either not 100% fit, or has just not competed enough this season. End of.

Nothing to do with the state of the ice or any other competitor.

I noticed a difference in him too. I really took notice when I saw Orsers other skaters skate. They seemed to be polished and primed to go. Due to Covid, injury and his asthma Yuzuru has been left on his own for too long. It has been my fervent wish that he gets a third OGM but I will have to console my self with his quad axel which I hope it goes well for him.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

He also didn't try the jump again because there is simply no room for it. He would have compromised the rest of his program, and it's incredibly difficult to throw in a quad salchow on the fly. Why risk not getting levels on a spin or leaving out transitions. Not to mention - there's no guarantee he'd get the 4S on the second attempt. I think Plushenko found that out the hard way in one Worlds FS where he adamantly tried to do a quad and threw out the choreo in an attempt to and it majorly backfired.

It's also why I think people who do second half combos have massive guts because if you mess up the 1st jump you not only give up the points of the second half of the combo, but you only miss out the ability to do the combo'ed jump later, and incur a no-combo deduction.

The 10% bonus really isn't a whole lot compared to the 5+ points you could lose for failing to do a combo.

It also boggles my mind when a skater does a combo as their second jumping pass instead of their first pass because if they flub the first half of the combo at least they can call it a "solo jump" and do the combo on the second jumping pass.

Nathan's record will be likely untouched for a VERY long time (unless Nathan himself beats it) because that is literally the hardest short program layout ever attempted, and not only are most men incapable of a 4F and a 4Z, most of them would be crazy to not combo the flip and hope for a clean second-half 4Z in order to get a 3T on it.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After looking at the protocols, I would agree with some of the comments in this thread by posters who felt Jason deserved higher PCS. I think Jason specifically should have received slightly higher PCS than Nathan in composition and interpretation. But seriously, both guys are not far off from each other in these categories. Jason also deserves higher PCS on transitions (but equal to Nathan because they are both very good in that category). Otherwise, the other PCS marks for Jason are reasonable. Nathan and Jason are both skaters who hear and interpret the music, gloriously. I think Jason should be in fifth place over Morisi K, who despite having hard-earned quads, is a very pedestrian (i.e., not very exciting) skater. Semenenko put out the jumps and he tried hard, but he's also not very special as the other guys he's at the top with. Semenenko was over-scored on both tech and PCS (as a placeholder for ROC in the absence of Kolyada, and out of respect for Mishin). I also feel that Kevin Aymoz should have received much higher PCS than the judges gave him in composition and interpretation.

Judging by some comments in this thread, It's too bad that a number of fans are so limited in their understanding, views and perceptions of what these athletes do on the ice, and what it takes to do what they do. Even if you've watched figure skating for years, there's always something to learn. You never stop learning.

The Olympic Ice show (on Peacock -- 4 episodes are up), with Ash Wagner, Johnny Moseley, Scott Hamilton, Brian Boitano (and another host) has been fun to watch, and it's wonderfully informative. They interview skaters, give summaries of performances, engage in spinning demonstrations, etc., all in a fun-spirited fashion. Ash and Brian break down steps, takeoffs, entrances and exits of some skaters, with on-ice demonstrations by Ash and Brian, as well as video slo-mo of Nathan taking off into his highest point-gathering jump combo late in his sp. It is very instructive to hear the breakdown on what Nathan is doing technically, which explains why he's so good.
I do like it but wish it were not so US centric.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well regardless of why Hanyu missed his quad sal it doesn't matter. Nathan is convincingly in first. He is a confident. He is a machine. the judges will reward him good pcs even if he messes up and even if he doesn't deserve it. I understan he did jump better than usual but we shouldnot whine about the Goes of the Russian ladies when we see the goes of Nathan not to mention his generous pcs. I am satisfied with any of the top 3 and Yuzuru being on the podium. I just don't think you can pick otherwise between the bronze medal hopefuls if people make mistakes - Jason, Moris, Cha, Keegan, Daniel, Russian men of the day, Its almost unfair fr one of them to get an individual medal. There is just a bunch of them who rasonably could o it.
Keegan! Keegan! Keegan! Oh sorry I got distracted😂😂

taikwan

On the Ice
I'm not sure what you mean by US-centric in connection with the topic I was responding to/ commenting on.
Because.....networks....US networks. It shouldn't be happening. But .....but.....If we, the US are suppose to stand for fairness, equality and all that jazz. let's live up to it.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Because.....networks....US networks. It shouldn't be happening. But .....but.....If we, the US are suppose to stand for fairness, equality and all that jazz. let's live up to it.
Now, what are you talking about exactly? I'm not sure what @moonvine is referencing either.

My post was about PCS scoring, and then I mentioned some of the Olympic Ice figure skating coverage. On that show, they did talk about top contenders other than U.S. skaters. But it's a U.S. show on Peacock (in the U.S.) during the Olympics, which is always a time of rooting for U.S. athletes to perform well and to win medals -- I'm not sure what you are expecting.

As it is, there are many U.S. fans who are obsessed with skaters who are NOT from the U.S. A lot of U.S. fans love skaters from other countries, and are so-so or lukewarm about supporting U.S. skaters. You won't find that so much from Canadian fans or from Russian fans of figure skating.

I'm not sure what the problem is with U.S. coverage focusing on U.S. skaters. In my opinion, the U.S. broadcasters do a lot of praising of top skaters from Russia and Japan. So what is the big deal?