2022 Winter Olympics: Pairs Short Program | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2022 Winter Olympics: Pairs Short Program

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
J/R got L2 on their twist and their death spiral, the lift was slow, not overly smooth and had very little ice coverage. They also do a Throw Sal, whereas the teams above them do more difficult throws (although the points difference in BV is minimal here).
They have a good twist, not as good as Vanessa had with Morgan, but still very good. They also have a good death spiral. The levels were too low on both those elements. Nitpicking by the judges, and apparently by some fans too. Judges wish to keep J/R down. I admire Vanessa for her courage and perseverance in the face of soooo much disrespect in this sport, all these years. When Vanessa was with Morgan, it took years to win modicum respect for their obvious talents.

Once J/C improved to a very high level (they already were a fantastic team from the beginning of their partnership), the last three seasons of their career when they were such an influential pair, the judges continued to manage their scores. The judges definitely favored both T/M and S/H in the scoring at 2019 Worlds, for e.g., when J/C had been killing the competition, including T/M (J/C had won every event they entered that season). Despite the collision in the warm-up at 2019 Worlds, which rattled J/C in the sp, I think it was the overly high scores for both T/M and S/H in the sp at 2019 Worlds which sent the message about how J/C (as champions all that season) were actually being viewed. J/C were harshly dealt with in the sp, ensuring they didn't even make the podium, which was an unfair result -- even despite their sp errors.

And sadly, the negativity J/R have faced this season has been unconscionable. They both have my respect for their courage, endurance and perseverance in the face of all the negativity.