Laura Barquero tests positive for banned substance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Laura Barquero tests positive for banned substance

Country
Norway

Seems to be the same cream that Therese Johaug got suspended for :( If they will get the same punishment than it will be a 18 months suspension :(

This really sets an interesting light on the whole doping situation. Since it´s the same cream like in Johaugs situation I don´t know how Laura can get away with it either because the packaging supposedly has a doping sign. Both of them used the cream because they had reasons for it, a lip burn and a cut from the blade, but they havn´t been careful enough reading the package and make sure it´s not on WADAs list and as athlete that´s is your responsibility.

However, are they really going to give her a 18 month suspension, when perhaps Kamila is getting away with a far more generous punishment with a more serious case, just because of her age? Again, this really doesn´t seem fair play to the athletes.

But if they are giving Laura a shorter suspension than Johaug, it´s not fair against athletes like Johaug either.

What a mess this all is. I can´t wait for minimum age to raise.

BTW: There is a difference in this situation, Johaug tested positive during off season in training camp, and Laura at Olympics. That might not be in Lauras advantage either.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
This really sets an interesting light on the whole doping situation. Since it´s the same cream like in Johaugs situation I don´t know how Laura can get away with it either because the packaging supposedly has a doping sign.
Not supposedly. Italy has in of the strictest Anti Doping laws in the World. The sign is on both the packaging and the tube. It says DOPING.

Country
Norway
Not supposedly. Italy has in of the strictest Anti Doping laws in the World. The sign is on both the packaging and the tube. It says DOPING.
Yep but Laura was not in Italy, if she got the cream in Beijing maybe the package was a bit different.

Anyways, what is the point of nitpicking like this? That I utter the words supposedly is because what I read in the newspaper, not because I don´t believe it to be true about what the package looks like, because I have seen pictures of it. I saw your other post about how you feel about Johaugs explanation so it seems you have the urge to point out that you don´t believe her story. It´s fine that you feel that way, but CAS made their decision on the case and she is done with her 18 month suspension a long time ago.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Yep but Laura was not in Italy, if she got the cream in Beijing maybe the package was a bit different.

Anyways, what is the point of nitpicking like this? That I utter the words supposedly is because what I read in the newspaper, not because I don´t believe it to be true about what the package looks like, because I have seen pictures of it. I saw your other post about how you feel about Johaugs explanation so it seems you have the urge to point out that you don´t believe her story. It´s fine that you feel that way, but CAS made their decision on the case and she is done with her 18 month suspension a long time ago.
Is Trofodermin available in Spain or in China? A quick search says no. But then she either got it in Italy or somebody gave it to her or she used a cream that's not called Trofodermin, but has the same drugs in it. I don't think that I'm nitpicking ... if the story is true, then those questions can be answered easily.
Regarding Johaug - I feel that the 18 month ban was sufficient. I was outraged when they tried to get her to compete at the Olympics then. Because even if her story was true - she didn't do sufficient due diligence.

Country
Norway
Is Trofodermin available in Spain or in China? A quick search says no. But then she either got it in Italy or somebody gave it to her or she used a cream that's not called Trofodermin, but has the same drugs in it. I don't think that I'm nitpicking ... if the story is true, then those questions can be answered easily.
Regarding Johaug - I feel that the 18 month ban was sufficient. I was outraged when they tried to get her to compete at the Olympics then. Because even if her story was true - she didn't do sufficient due diligence.

Hmm I don´t know where you can get it. Maybe like you say there is a cream similar to Trofodermin, but with the same ingrediens, but different name. Am I mixing up with something else or does Trofedermin contain antibiotics? That could explain why she used the cream because of risk of bacteria infection with a blade cut.. but regardless they should have used something that wasn´t on the list. The only way I can see how she won´t get a sanction as long as Johaug, is if she/her Team went to the pharmacy in China and she got something similar like Trofedermin, but they assured it wasn´t on the doping list etc. But it doesn´t seem likely.

Agreed that the 18 month ban was right for Johaug, Olympics or not. Responsibility had to be taken. If I don´t remember it wrong she also got a milder sanction because the Team Doctor took the full responsibility for what happened. It´s possible that if Laura used the Trofodermin and got it by her own, and overlooked the doping sign on the package, she will face a longer ban than Johaug.

Ziotic

Medalist
18 months seems fair. It’s unfortunate for the pairing as they were showing so much progress so quickly.

mrrice

Record Breaker
As You Can See, being tested for PED's is not just an offense against Russian Athletes. It took me a while to find these highlights but, THIS was the match where Serena was literally hunted down and tested at her sister's house 3000 miles away from her home. She is certainly in great shape but, when you've played at a high level for decades that's what your body looks like. She said it was a humiliating experience but, I guess she can't say "I'm on vacation with my sister and you can test me when I get home"

Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
The only way I can see how she won´t get a sanction as long as Johaug, is if she/her Team went to the pharmacy in China and she got something similar like Trofedermin, but they assured it wasn´t on the doping list etc. But it doesn´t seem likely.

Yeah, doesn't sound too likely to me either because of the bubble around the Olympic village. And I'd hope that if there was a pharmacy inside the village, they'd only sell medicine that's not on the banned list. :pray:

Draculus

On the Ice
However, are they really going to give her a 18 month suspension, when perhaps Kamila is getting away with a far more generous punishment with a more serious case, just because of her age? Again, this really doesn´t seem fair play to the athletes.
Why Kamilla's case is more serious? Especially that it was not during Olympics and TMZ does not directly enhance performance with comparison to testosterone increasing Clostebol?

Last edited:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Sucks for this new up and coming team :( I'm not gonna assume this will get solved in 3 weeks,
and they could've really banked for next season with a good finish at Worlds.

Oh well, them the rules 🤷‍♂️

Country
Norway
Why Kamilla's case is more serious? Especially that it was not during Olympics and TMZ does not directly enhance performance with comparison to testosterone increasing Clostebol?
Really, are we really going to pretend that heart medication in 15 year old body is normal? Accidental intake because she drank off her grandpas glas? It´s bad because the story obvious is not true and they have never denied she had it in her body and don´t have a good explanation for it.

When it happen is not relevant btw, Johaug doping was off season on training camp in Italy, before the season started. She was still suspended for 18 months.

Most likely both TMZ and Clostebol can be both PE, but it´s very unlikely for a 15 year to take TMZ by mistake. However, I don´t blame her, i´m pretty sure this was not her idea.

What I want is fair play for all athletes. I know the age is the factor in Kamila case since she is i minor, but if you are old enough to compete in seniors you should also be old enough to take the consequences like the rest of athletes. Doping is doping and both Kamila and Laura should take the consequences. If Laura was taken before the singles event she would´nt have been allowed to compete in the event. She will most likely be temporary suspended and miss WC now, while Kamila can still compete. On top of that, most likely Laura will be looking at a 1-2 years ban from competition, which I doubt we will see for Kamila. It´s just so unfair.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
As You Can See, being tested for PED's is not just an offense against Russian Athletes. It took me a while to find these highlights but, THIS was the match where Serena was literally hunted down and tested at her sister's house 3000 miles away from her home. She is certainly in great shape but, when you've played at a high level for decades that's what your body looks like. She said it was a humiliating experience but, I guess she can't say "I'm on vacation with my sister and you can test me when I get home"
This was so good to watch. She didn't let her a little bit of hope. Not surprising she got chased after:laugh:

Draculus

On the Ice
Most likely both TMZ and Clostebol can be both PE,
no, testosterone increase is the core of the doping. and it is dangerous.
TMZ is no for both.
What I want is fair play for all athletes. I know the age is the factor in Kamila case since she is i minor, but if you are old enough to compete in seniors you should also be old enough to take the consequences like the rest of athletes. Doping is doping and both Kamila and Laura should take the consequences. If Laura was taken before the singles event she would´nt have been allowed to compete in the event. She will most likely be temporary suspended and miss WC now, while Kamila can still compete. On top of that, most likely Laura will be looking at a 1-2 years ban from competition, which I doubt we will see for Kamila. It´s just so unfair.
Sorry, but I do not get why Kamilla's case is more serious. Can you make it in one sentence?

flotsam

Rinkside
no, testosterone increase is the core of the doping. and it is dangerous.
TMZ is no for both.

Sorry, but I do not get why Kamilla's case is more serious. Can you make it in one sentence?
Another attempted deflection, as usual, but are you trying to claim there's been enough study of trimetazidine to show both that it's not effective for doping and that it's also not dangerous to otherwise-healthy 15-year-olds? If so, point us to the studies.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
I find it very interesting that there has been no reporting whether the Eteri skaters are tested, by surprise, out of competition, like other world class athletes everywhere else.