2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
I'm looking forward to see Mao Shimada's international debut!
Here's Mao's SP video:

It was a clean skate, and Mao was in the 1st place after SP, with the score of 52.93.
Protocol (Note the restriction for Adv Novice level skaters- only 3-2 combination jumps; and the Max) levels for spins & steps are 3)

Mao said in the post-competition interview that she will attempt 3A in FS.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Here's Mao's SP video:

It was a clean skate, and Mao was in the 1st place after SP, with the score of 52.93.
Protocol (Note the restriction for Adv Novice level skaters- only 3-2 combination jumps; and the Max) levels for spins & steps are 3)

Mao said in the post-competition interview that she will attempt 3A in FS.

Congratulations to Mao!!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Just saw a clip of Rika's exhibition. She's doing singles which means she still can't jump 😭😭😭

That injury has been going on for 1000 years!!! When will she recover😭😭😭

But would she jump doubles at a gala if she was just re-learning her jumps these days? Wouldn't that be an unnecessary risk at a fun event?
I'm a bit out of the loop, but when was she allowed back on the ice? I think in the case of serious injuries with a long healing time off the ice, it can take two months to get back even singles. It did for my fave. Then the doubles and triples may come more quickly, but is there any need for rushing at a show? Just wondering.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
What a star she is. I’m excited to see her in the Junior Circuit next year.
Her jumping technique is perfect. I've zoomed in and slowed down videos and her prerotation (even on the quad toe) is right where it should be. She doesn't hammer the ice or yank her torso to get into rotation. So even though she is doing the ultra-c elements at such a young age, I hope that they will be sustainable and less injury-prone than normal. Even though I don't want to get too attached, I am getting really excited too.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Hanna Yoshida and Mone Chibe had clean skates :), Hanna landed her 3a! It was massive! Mao shimada 3a was marked q, I don't know if it was a good choice to go for the triple axel instead of the quad toe loop but everything else was perfect she has a very bright future I'm so exiting!, Unfortunately it was not a good competition for Azusa Tanaka, placing out of the podium in such a weak field

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Oh no after seeing the protocols I realize that Hanna 3lo was marked under and Mone triple flip was marked q, I think those were harsh calls, now I understand the relative low scores, well they can improve it at least

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Hanna Yoshida and Mone Chibe had clean skates :), Hanna landed her 3a! It was massive! Mao shimada 3a was marked q, I don't know if it was a good choice to go for the triple axel instead of the quad toe loop but everything else was perfect she has a very bright future I'm so exiting!, Unfortunately it was not a good competition for Azusa Tanaka, placing out of the podium in such a weak field
I think Shimada’s 3A was a strategic change in the layout: novice skaters cannot jump quad in their programs. But this is ‘healthier’ for younger skaters, and she can keep working on the more difficult jumps when she becomes Jr. (as long as staying healthy)

I also have Mao in my watch list…not because of her jump abilities, but more of her commence on the ice when she skates.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker

Wow congratulations Hana Yoshida and Mone Chiba!! Gold and bronze!
With a score of 210.77, that would be admirable in a senior worlds let alone juniors :clap: (where Hana is listed as a reserve)
The fact that there are only 2 skaters of the new generation (not counting Mana) who have scored over 200 internationally and neither of them is going to Jr Worlds. 😭 Just because the Japanese Fed only really takes into account the placements at (Jr) Nationals (I know, Rino didn't compete at Jr Nats, but neither did Rinka), without taking into account other factors.
Of course, there will always be controversy, no matter how teams are chosen, but basing everything on only one or two competitions - Not even the scores but only placements (Rinka beat Rino by only 0.38 at Sr Nationals and was chosen over her)? I don't think that's the best way to go about it, personally.

Especially when a score of over 200 would likely guarantee a podium finish at Junior Worlds (only Isabeau has scored above 200) and potentially even the gold medal. And I want the Japanese girls to have 3 spots next season and Rinka and Rion are just as inconsistent as they are talented.

Please excuse my rant, but I had to say it.😅

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Seriously japan needs to stop making decisions prematurely, it's not working, as you said Rino and Hanna would have been a better choice for junior worlds than Rion and Rinka, the same thing with worlds, Mai would have been a better choice than Mana, Mai could have medaled easily at worlds, and Rino and Hanna could take gold and silver easily at junior worlds, I know the future is uncertain but based on consistency which matters most Japan have been not making the best choices

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Seriously japan needs to stop making decisions prematurely,
Prematurely is exactly the right word when you take into consideration that Jr Nationals took place at the end of November. There are almost 5 months between Jr Nationals and Jr Worlds this season (Yes, I know, Jr Worlds was supposed to take place earlier, it would have been only 3 and a half months normally).
That's a long time in any discipline, but especially in Juniors where skaters are still growing and acquiring new jumps - and of course the general risk of injuries. For example, there were barely even 3 months between Niina Petrokina's lowest (145.32) and highest (188.86) score of the season or Mana's highest (205.44) and lowest (166.73) score of the season.

I hope Rinka and Rion hit their jumps at Jr Worlds and get onto the podium or at least secure 3 spots for next year, I don't want this to ruin their self-esteem and careers by losing the favour of the federation. But at the same time, I hope that this season is a wake-up call for the Japanese federation to adjust their selection process for everyone - and not just make exceptions when it comes to their favoured or the most popular/successful athletes.

Last edited:

Joekaz

On the Ice
Prematurely is exactly the right word when you take into consideration that Jr Nationals took place at the end of November. There are almost 5 months between Jr Nationals and Jr Worlds this season (Yes, I know, Jr Worlds was supposed to take place earlier, it would have been only 3 and a half months normally).
That's a long time in any discipline, but especially in Juniors where skaters are still growing and acquiring new jumps - and of course the general risk of injuries. For example, there were barely even 3 months between Niina Petrokina's lowest (145.32) and highest (188.86) score of the season or Mana's highest (205.44) and lowest (166.73) score of the season.

I hope Rinka and Rion hit their jumps at Jr Worlds and get onto the podium or at least secure 3 spots for next year, I don't want this to ruin their self-esteem and careers by losing the favour of the federation. But at the same time, I hope that this season is a wake-up call for the Japanese federation to adjust their selection process for everyone - and not just make exceptions when it comes to their favoured or the most popular/successful athletes.
To be fair, they rarely make exceptions for anyone.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Sadly it happened what we were expecting, learn from this japan federation!, this could have been prevented!

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
JFed made the right decision in sending Kawabe to the Olympics, but I do think Mihara should have gone to Worlds. I also think ya'll are looking at this at the wrong angle. Had Mihara been named to the Worlds team after Nationals, she would have replaced Kawabe, right?

Mihara shouldn't have been needed because of Higuchi. Higuchi has proven to be more than capable of doing well enough at Worlds to maintain three spots. Kawabe was the third Japanese woman and as such the responsibility of holding the three spots isn't up to her. It was up to Sakamoto and Higuchi and Higuchi bombed. Higuchi was injured before she arrived at Worlds and could have withdrew. There was no reason for her to compete. She did very well at the Olympics and could have ended her season on a high note. She's not going to medal (even without the Russian ladies) if she's not healthy. Regardless of who Mihara replaced, I'm quite confident that the three spots would not have been in jeopardy in the first place. I just wanted to point out what the actual issue is ( not Kawabe's underperformance) since no one else is doing so.

I think the timing of team selections is correct. Nationals is held in late December and Worlds is held in mid-March. The only major international between that time is 4CC and I'm not a fan of skate-offs. Nationals is the skate-off. But no, they shouldn't go strictly by National results either. As for Junior World selections, Matsuike doesn't belong at Junior Worlds. If she was shooting for JW, then she should have competed on the JGP, not the GP.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
If she was shooting for JW, then she should have competed on the JGP, not the GP.
Not a single Japanese skater competed on the JGP circuit this season due to the decisions made by JSF, so you cannot fault her for that. And if we're going by that, then Kao also shouldn't have been here (and neither should've Lucas considering he competed at the domestic GP event last season - he also never competed in the JGP series at all).

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
It is a mystery to me how Japanese seniors manage to do so well when the juniors are such a hot mess! But maybe many Japanese skaters (with obvious exceptions) are late bloomers by international standards?