2022 Japan Open | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2022 Japan Open

figureskatingandrainbows

It's Oka ShinnosuSLAY Season!
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Posting here from injuries & ills thread

Based on my understanding of the situation, before Dreams on Ice in July, Yuma began experiencing left ankle pain. He got an MRI after the event, and was diagnosed with a "bone contusion/bone bruise" (basically a microfracture? I've seen all sorts of interpretations) and inflammation, and was training without jumps for quite a while. It was thought to be caused by overpractice from the Olympic season. There was a Quadruple Axel interview with him during which he was still practicing without jumps, but I don't know when the interview was given. Based on his comments, he's well on the path to recovery but is not yet in great condition, hence the withdrawal.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m looking forward to this event. It is just free skates, right? I’m so curious to see what kind of shape Bradie is in. Mariah, as well. I’m so nervous for Rika… if she skates like how she did at Japanese regionals, she could cost Japan the win here, as it will be a very low score. I’m not sure if she should skate here.
Yes, only free skates. I'm concerned about both Bradie and Rika. Rika did a lot of doubles at Regionals, and I really wish Mai Mihara or Rino Matsuike could replace her. I know they usually use IMG or USM skaters in this competition, so I'm not sure if they are eligible. Pretty sure Mai is. I sympathize with Rika needing the money, but there is some pretty big prize money at stake here.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I love Mai. I was thinking perhaps she would be a better choice if Rika is still injured. Maybe I'm rushing things a bit, since JO isn't until Oct. That still gives some time for healing if Rika isn't at 100%. Regardless of whom they choose, Team Japan has a really strong team.
I still wish they would have chosen Mai. Rika is still injured and I fear for her......

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, only free skates. I'm concerned about both Bradie and Rika. Rika did a lot of doubles at Regionals, and I really wish Mai Mihara or Rino Matsuike could replace her. I know they usually use IMG or USM skaters in this competition, so I'm not sure if they are eligible. Pretty sure Mai is. I sympathize with Rika needing the money, but there is some pretty big prize money at stake here.
I dont think Rika will starve to death but I am more worried about her injuries.....If I just look at the Team, it would make sense to put in Mai.....
Rika is very competitive but I hope she just doesnt hurt herself more by pushing her self. Or hurt her team......at the end of the day its a cheese fest for bucks......bucks are important...but so is good health.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I’m looking forward to this event. It is just free skates, right? I’m so curious to see what kind of shape Bradie is in. Mariah, as well. I’m so nervous for Rika… if she skates like how she did at Japanese regionals, she could cost Japan the win here, as it will be a very low score. I’m not sure if she should skate here.
ITA....I love and respect her and what she has done so far in her skating life. But the human body, even if you are young, can be very unforgiving.
It took 10 years before my back was healed after an injury and I still wear a back brace at times.....Rika has been injured so long....... :(

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ITA....I love and respect her and what she has done so far in her skating life. But the human body, even if you are young, can be very unforgiving.
It took 10 years before my back was healed after an injury and I still wear a back brace at times.....Rika has been injured so long....... :(
She needs to prioritize her health right now. I'm really worried about her.

rabidline

Final Flight
Kao got the sub spot, IIRC. Congrats to him. AFAIK he's without a sponsor, so he could use the money.
Kao shares the same sponsor as Yuma (and Rion): Oriental Bio Corporation. It's probably why he was able to be chosen to be Yuma's substitute at last minute instead of a Kinoshita Group skater like Koshiro (currently in Japan for Tokyo Regionals and SOI Hachinohe).

yesterday

Record Breaker
Kao shares the same sponsor as Yuma (and Rion): Oriental Bio Corporation. It's probably why he was able to be chosen to be Yuma's substitute at last minute instead of a Kinoshita Group skater like Koshiro (currently in Japan for Tokyo Regionals and SOI Hachinohe).

OT, but.. why are those boards so tall? Not needed in Japan :biggrin: (scnr, but I'm short as well, so I dare to make those jokes sometimes)

figureskatingandrainbows

It's Oka ShinnosuSLAY Season!
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Bradie Tennell has withdrawn

"Hi everyone, I'm so disappointed to announce that I'm not going to be able to skate in Japan as planned this week. As you can see from my earlier posts, I was SO looking forward to this experience, and it makes me so sad not to be able to be there with you all. I've got an issue with my ankle that's preventing me from skating right now. While I know it's going to be resolved soon, I also know that it's going to keep me off the ice for a few weeks to be able to heal. Such a shame to miss this amazing event. Trying to keep it all in perspective that these are the ups and downs we need to go through to get to success. See you next time, Japan."

:(

Country
Norway
Oooh dear, not another ankle set back :( Poor Bradie, I really thought she was done with this now.

If she is going to be off ice for a few weeks, that could possible impact her GPs as well :(

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I should play the lottery, I guessed right: :ROFLMAO:

Mirai Nagasu will replace Bradie for Team NA

Google translate:

Brady Tennell, who was scheduled to participate in the Japan Open 2022, was unable to participate due to injury. Mirai Nagasu will participate instead.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
I know representation plays a part but IMO, Sota, Koshiro or Kazuki (who all have later GPs) should've replace Yuma...not Kao
Kao seems to finally be recovering from the multiple injuries and illness that plagued him during spring~summer
Right now, it's important for him to be refining his programs, training to increase stamina for his new FS, and carefully working his jumps back to form, rather than risking another injury or exhaustion having just competed at Regionals and just prior to his two consecutive GP assignments
I'm sure prize money would be helpful but he participated in shows during summer, is top tier funded and sponsered so shouldn't be in dire need at the moment
His health and performance at his GP events should be priority over a comparatively unimportant, made for tv exhibition (apologies to everyone who enjoys JO~)

Also...now I'm gonna have to find time to watch it (or at least Kao's skate) when there is Kinki and Tohoku/Hokkaido Regionals happening 😅😛

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #7 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I know representation plays a part but IMO, Sota, Koshiro or Kazuki (who all have later GPs) should've replace Yuma...not Kao
Kao seems to finally be recovering from the multiple injuries and illness that plagued him during spring~summer
Right now, it's important for him to be refining his programs, training to increase stamina for his new FS, and carefully working his jumps back to form, rather than risking another injury or exhaustion having just competed at Regionals and just prior to his two consecutive GP assignments
I'm sure prize money would be helpful but he participated in shows during summer, is top tier funded and sponsered so shouldn't be in dire need at the moment
His health and performance at his GP events should be priority over a comparatively unimportant, made for tv exhibition (apologies to everyone who enjoys JO~)

Also...now I'm gonna have to find time to watch it (or at least Kao's skate) when there is Kinki and Tohoku/Hokkaido Regionals happening 😅😛

Sorry to hear of Kao's multiple injuries. I agree it would be good to let him and Shun recover a bit, especially since their regionals didn't go as planned. But hopefully Kao is on the mend - if he agreed to perform here, I'm sure he knows what he's doing.
Also, good to know about his sponsorship. That means only Kazuki, Sota and Sena are without sponsors. What a shame, I don't understand Japanese companies.
I disagree about the idea that the replacement spot should have rather gone to Koshiro though. I think he's already received gifts enough from JSF and Kinoshita combined - shows, CS and GP, both of the latter without any significant results in the last few seasons to merit either, especially when bigger achievers were royally ignored for CS (and partly GP). Even Tatsuya would be more deserving. Giving Koshiro yet more opportunities (and money) would only make the injustice greater, and JSF's favoritism more blatant.

Last edited: