2023 Canadian Nationals Sr. Men's Short Program | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2023 Canadian Nationals Sr. Men's Short Program

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Wow, looking at those scores, it seems like Conrad is overwhelmingly likely to go to his first Worlds with Keegan... Does Matthew Newnham have the TES minimums?

(Also omg I forgot that Conrad was skating to O Fortuna, always topical in men's skating)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan was very nice. I'm glad for him.

But the significant performance of the night was Conrad's. He handled himself very well under competition pressure.

That is a very big moment - it signals that he has a real future in the sport with the prospect of high international finishes in big events, something I wasn't sure about before.

auser

Record Breaker
Congrats to the Synchro medalists. Lovely skating skills and very enjoyable to watch. (Apologies for posting in this thread, but I didn't see a Synchro thread and it is timely coming just after Men SP finish)

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Anyone able to remind me who actually has their minimums for 4CC and worlds?

Will Keegan even want to do 4CC with a newborn??

4CC & Senior Worlds:
Wesley Chiu
Stephen Gogolev
Keegan Messing
Conrad Orzel
Roman Sadovsky

4CC only:
Gabriel Blumenthal (missing FS min for worlds)
Corey Circelli (missing SP min for worlds)
Beres Clements (missing FS min for worlds)

Junior Worlds:
Wesley Chiu
Stephen Gogolev
Alec Guinzbourg
Terry Yu Tao Jin
Grayson Long
Rio Morita
Anthony Paradis
Aleksa Rakic
David Shteyngart
Edward Vasii

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Keegan was very nice. I'm glad for him.

But the significant performance of the night was Conrad's. He handled himself very well under competition pressure.

That is a very big moment - it signals that he has a real future in the sport with the prospect of high international finishes in big events, something I wasn't sure about before.
I try to get excited that despite really a lull in Canadian skating and to be truthful Keegan is not "moving forward" technically or artistically it was really fun/exciting to watch him. Yay for Conrad or Corey who has some beautiful skating skills like Roman and reminscent of Patric Chan or Jeffrey Buttle or Sandhu. It was kind of trauma inducing to watch Gogo boy struggle still - height/growth is not Canada's men's friend and the implosion of Roman. Now Roman needs to skate his best ever free skate. He could still get second because the rest of Canada's men are inconsistent. EVen with a disaster Messing is likely to win silver and even a bronze medal with the rest of his season -not because it is so good but because rest are so bad- being going to worlds. The comments about Keegan and family - I have to admit I am highly suspicious that his family situation is a distraction though joyful. It is his job so I hope if qualifies he goes to 4cc's and worlds. If he had worked on another quad and even without he truly is an outside shot for bronze. He can beat Cha, Brown and an inconsistent Malnin but he needs to have two of his best skates. O Canada it is a tough time for you in skating but stay strong and fierce. The old guns are the hope Keegan, Piper and Paul and Deanna and Max (oh Deanna fight fight fight - ditto for Keegan. Stay focussed; give it your all then go raise your family and fight fires. This is your chance. The Namster may be wishing he stayed on one more season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Great fight from gorgeous Conrad. Beautiful 4T. Wish @4everchan was here. He looks so happy.
i just got back from the studio... well i took a small detour to walk in the snow in the park :) now that i am warm and partially fed... i will resume watching nationals... i left at the middle of the RD... seeing protocols for Dance, Pairs and Men ... and having seen the brilliant display of women's SP... i have to say that only the men were affected by Friday the 13th.. but so glad to see Conrad landing his jumps !!!! YAY!!!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I try to get excited that despite really a lull in Canadian skating and to be truthful Keegan is not "moving forward" technically or artistically it was really fun/exciting to watch him. Yay for Conrad or Corey who has some beautiful skating skills like Roman and reminscent of Patric Chan or Jeffrey Buttle or Sandhu. It was kind of trauma inducing to watch Gogo boy struggle still - height/growth is not Canada's men's friend and the implosion of Roman. Now Roman needs to skate his best ever free skate. He could still get second because the rest of Canada's men are inconsistent. EVen with a disaster Messing is likely to win silver and even a bronze medal with the rest of his season -not because it is so good but because rest are so bad- being going to worlds. The comments about Keegan and family - I have to admit I am highly suspicious that his family situation is a distraction though joyful. It is his job so I hope if qualifies he goes to 4cc's and worlds. If he had worked on another quad and even without he truly is an outside shot for bronze. He can beat Cha, Brown and an inconsistent Malnin but he needs to have two of his best skates. O Canada it is a tough time for you in skating but stay strong and fierce. The old guns are the hope Keegan, Piper and Paul and Deanna and Max (oh Deanna fight fight fight - ditto for Keegan. Stay focussed; give it your all then go raise your family and fight fires. This is your chance. The Namster may be wishing he stayed on one more season.
Keegan has no need to move forward. He is perfect

auser

Record Breaker
i just got back from the studio... well i took a small detour to walk in the snow in the park :) now that i am warm and partially fed... i will resume watching nationals... i left at the middle of the RD... seeing protocols for Dance, Pairs and Men ... and having seen the brilliant display of women's SP... i have to say that only the men were affected by Friday the 13th.. but so glad to see Conrad landing his jumps !!!! YAY!!!
Sounds like you had a nice day. I am counting the minutes until they make the archives of today's skating available so I can catch up on the women's and ice dance events I missed earlier. Should only be about 15 more minutes if similar to earlier this week. So happy for gorgeous Conrad. He is beautiful to watch.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sounds like you had a nice day. I am counting the minutes until they make the archives of today's skating available so I can catch up on the women's and ice dance events I missed earlier. Should only be about 15 more minutes if similar to earlier this week. So happy for gorgeous Conrad. He is beautiful to watch.
I am watching on CBC so the archives are already there... watching pairs now... Cannot wait to see my son ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
men's short... catching up for me... but I have seen the protocols.. so i am worried...
i may not be commenting.... other than for conrad...

i will be hoping for some of my faves to do well... i know.. i have seen the scores.. but yeah... i know i will be bummed for Antoine because i love his skating and of course, he doesn't have the big tricks but i saw the scores :( i look forward to see Bennet, Bruce and Matthew... and will maybe comment on them as well as Conrad and Keegan.... see ya in 3 hours LOL (it will be faster as i can fast forward the zamboni and the long KnC moments :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Bennet : too bad about the 3-3 that was turned into a 3-2 as this is his strength... but the rest was awesome ! very nice performance ! So happy for him ! Thrilled to hear that he did the choreo for this program as it may mean that he could become a choreo/coach. He has been one of my favourites for a long time as he is a truly expressive skater.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Beres : so amazed with his performance I needed to comment. Bravo ! Interesting that he doesn't skate like the other skaters from MacLeod. He seems to have a much better technique. I also liked the way he skated to this song.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
damn it Antoine ! This was so heartfelt ! But the mistakes...sigh. I still like this skater a lot ! OMG 37 points... poor boy... but he is taking it well...