2023 U.S. Nationals Sr. Men's Free Skate | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2023 U.S. Nationals Sr. Men's Free Skate

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Painful as today was, I'm sure Ilia will learn from it. I can't begin to imagine the weight of the expectations on him; that's a lot for anyone to bear and we have to remember that he's still not much more than a kid.

If this was any other skater, we'd probably be thrilled at the performance. All those quads, backloaded to boot...maybe time to move a few to the 1st half?

Also, I could die for his razor-sharp camel spin. Go, Ilia! :clap:❤️

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think it's just a travesty that the jumps are awarded so many points in comparison to PCS.
Jason was clearly the better figure skater in this competition.

I believe when they dropped "figures" they dropped "figure skating".
Then they decided to award many, many points to quads and consider them more important than spins, edges, smooth quiet skating and everything else that goes into PCS.

Time to split this and have a jump competition and a PCS competition. OR fix the amount of points awarded to jumps.
It is a sport and now that all quads have been landed, athletes should strive to up their technical elements.
It is like a female skater winning with only doubles over a skater that lands 7 in the free skate. Quads are vital. The fact Jason finished in second place and has an outside chance of a medal at Worlds is a testament to the fact that skating still rewards artistry. But, a perfect clean Jason should never score higher than a clean Ilia or Shoma.

I like the way figure skating is progressing in the mens field.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How many US men have the worlds minimum? Of the top six?
Posting again