2023 Worlds: Info & Pregame Chat | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2023 Worlds: Info & Pregame Chat

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Feel free to ask! I arrived at Terminal 1. I think the actual disembarkation process took about an hour, though I didn't actually leave the airport for at least another hour and a half due to being incredibly frustrated with being unable to activate the Japanese SIM card I bought from a vending machine at the airport. I have still not been able to activate that card and am currently depending on WiFi to access the internet.

Yes, they asked to me show my vaccination card. Yes, they asked me to show my QR codes (immigration and customs-- the yellow and red pages) from Visit Japan Web. They have free WiFi for displaying the codes, but it is more efficient to already have the codes screenshotted for easy access. But before you display those QR codes, you have to display the blue page (former quarantine/vaccination page) from Visit Japan Web. I made the mistake of only screenshotting the top of the blue page, confidently thinking that it would be enough to enter Japan. Imagine my dismay when I was asked to show the rest of the page too! 😂 Thankfully they directed me to the aforementioned WiFi and helped me log into it.

Hopefully we can meet up in Saitama, as long as there's enough places for free WiFi. 🤣

Thank you so much for your detailed answer, it's very helpful!
Especially thanks for pointing out the quarantine/vaccination page, I initially didn't fill up that one as I thought it's not required anymore. But after reading your post my partner and I filled them up just now and the status just got updated to inoculated / waiting not required :cheer:

One slight bad news about my travel though, my flight from Australia to Japan got delayed by a full day due to some "engineering requirements" 😓 So I'm arriving on Sunday evening instead of Saturday. Oh well, lucky they told us early enough yesterday so I didn't end up waiting around aimlessly for hours in the airport!

Sorry to hear about your SIM card issues. I bought a traveler's SIM card together with my JR Pass from an Australian travel company, let's see if it works better than the vending machine ones.... I'm sure we can figure out something even if you can't access wifi in the arena! I can meet you at a meeting spot at a certain time, I'll wear something that's easily recognisable 😉

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Also, just want to add on that the individual practice tickets are now visible on the Tixplus app too.
They sent an email about it last night - "We have started the Official practice tickets display on the E-ticket app " Tixplus E-Tickets"."

I can see my seats on all my tickets btw - including the competition tickets since they first showed up in the app. Maybe that's because I got individual tickets and not the all-event one. Crossing my fingers for good seats for those who bought the all-event ones! 🤞

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Also, just want to add on that the individual practice tickets are now visible on the Tixplus app too.
They sent an email about it last night - "We have started the Official practice tickets display on the E-ticket app " Tixplus E-Tickets"."

I can see my seats on all my tickets btw - including the competition tickets since they first showed up in the app. Maybe that's because I got individual tickets and not the all-event one. Crossing my fingers for good seats for those who bought the all-event ones! 🤞
Still curious as how the process works. For instance, do you sign up for a lottery for the whole arena or just part of it? are there price points where you sit? If you buy an all event ticket, are your seats always the same?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thank you so much for your detailed answer, it's very helpful!
Especially thanks for pointing out the quarantine/vaccination page, I initially didn't fill up that one as I thought it's not required anymore. But after reading your post my partner and I filled them up just now and the status just got updated to inoculated / waiting not required :cheer:

One slight bad news about my travel though, my flight from Australia to Japan got delayed by a full day due to some "engineering requirements" 😓 So I'm arriving on Sunday evening instead of Saturday. Oh well, lucky they told us early enough yesterday so I didn't end up waiting around aimlessly for hours in the airport!

Sorry to hear about your SIM card issues. I bought a traveler's SIM card together with my JR Pass from an Australian travel company, let's see if it works better than the vending machine ones.... I'm sure we can figure out something even if you can't access wifi in the arena! I can meet you at a meeting spot at a certain time, I'll wear something that's easily recognisable 😉
Ref: "my flight from Australia to Japan got delayed by a full day due to some "engineering requirements""
Well, that's a new one on me! What are the consequences in Australia for the airlines in this case? Sure, its a long flight but its done every day. This puts a burden on you to (hopefully) let your hotel know what's happening and hopefully they are understanding...if its not weather and is not ATC, then the airline messed up. Hopefully you arrived safe and sound. Minus one day of your holiday.

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Still curious as how the process works. For instance, do you sign up for a lottery for the whole arena or just part of it? are there price points where you sit? If you buy an all event ticket, are your seats always the same?
This year there are four ticket levels. Most of the lower bowl are S seats. There are a limited number of Premium seats which are the first four or five rows (they were only available to buyers in Japan). It’s a huge arena and one can end up with not great S seats. This my first time with lottery seats but the all-event is the same seat for every event. For 2002 and 2007 Japanese Worlds I was with a tour group. In 2016 there was’t a lottery. I picked my seat from the seating chart. In 2019 no one I know won all-event lottery seats and I got tickets from an inside source (they were great seats). This year it will be the luck of the draw and they could be crummy or good seats. Good seats or bad, I’ve been to every Worlds (other than 2020 and 2021) since 1999 and nothing compares to a worlds in Japan, no matter where you sit!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^That's amazing that you've been to all those Worlds @beebee51 I have to say that all the talk of a lottery, not knowing when the tickets will come on your phone, where is your seat, etc. just seems far too complicated for me. I had hoped to attend through a travel agency tour, but not enough people signed up. I know some people who went to.Japan Worlds 2019, and they said it's something you'll never forget. It was so easy to get tickets for places like Helsinki and Milan Worlds, French GP, all the Canada events. Wish this would have been the same. I congratulate you all on your perseverance and hope you have a wonderful time! Don't forget us poor souls back here who are hoping for on-site reports! :thank:

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
This year there are four ticket levels. Most of the lower bowl are S seats. There are a limited number of Premium seats which are the first four or five rows (they were only available to buyers in Japan). It’s a huge arena and one can end up with not great S seats. This my first time with lottery seats but the all-event is the same seat for every event. For 2002 and 2007 Japanese Worlds I was with a tour group. In 2016 there was’t a lottery. I picked my seat from the seating chart. In 2019 no one I know won all-event lottery seats and I got tickets from an inside source (they were great seats). This year it will be the luck of the draw and they could be crummy or good seats. Good seats or bad, I’ve been to every Worlds (other than 2020 and 2021) since 1999 and nothing compares to a worlds in Japan, no matter where you sit!
Thanks for the info. Very interesting. Why didnt you come say hi at Worlds 2009 and 2013? :laugh: I was way back in both of them. With my eyes now, the back of the lower bowl wouldnt work. Maybe after cataract surgery. But yes, my heart knows you are right about Worlds in Japan. for oh so many reasons....I do wonder if there were tour groups from any country where they would insure descent seats....it wouldnt be cheep to take a tour there but if they did all the heavy lifting as far as hotels, transportation, it might be an option...Japanese Nats would be a thrill...
Chris not going back to London Ontario Canada for Worlds (except the Covent Garden Market was wonderful)

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the info. Very interesting. Why didnt you come say hi at Worlds 2009 and 2013? :laugh: I was way back in both of them. With my eyes now, the back of the lower bowl wouldnt work. Maybe after cataract surgery. But yes, my heart knows you are right about Worlds in Japan. for oh so many reasons....I do wonder if there were tour groups from any country where they would insure descent seats....it wouldnt be cheep to take a tour there but if they did all the heavy lifting as far as hotels, transportation, it might be an option...Japanese Nats would be a thrill...
Chris not going back to London Ontario Canada for Worlds (except the Covent Garden Market was wonderful)
The people.I know who went in a tour group in 2019 had second row seats that were phenomenal! I would not want to go all the way to Japan only to find that I am in an oxygen mask level seat. I used the same tour company for Montpelier Worlds last year and was very pleased with them. I'm used to fending for myself when I go overseas, but one can get very spoiled, very fast when someone else is handling all the logistics! At least the next 2 years will be a little easier with Montreal and Boston.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The people.I know who went in a tour group in 2019 had second row seats that were phenomenal! I would not want to go all the way to Japan only to find that I am in an oxygen mask level seat. I used the same tour company for Montpelier Worlds last year and was very pleased with them. I'm used to fending for myself when I go overseas, but one can get very spoiled, very fast when someone else is handling all the logistics! At least the next 2 years will be a little easier with Montreal and Boston.
You are more adventuresome than I am, my friend..I would take the tour to Japan......I dont handle "adventure" well ...someone tells me my flight is canceled due to "engineering issues" I would jump off a cliff! :laugh: ....would love to see you at Worlds Boston but I am afraid I wont be going....It was great to go to Nats and Worlds in Boston once but I am afraid my heart is just not there....it now belongs to the sea...where there is no drama and people bring you all sorts of stuff if you ask and the biggest choice you have every day is what restaurant are you gonna eat at. I hope we can see each other at a SA....chris who wishes he would have spent the last 30 days seeing French Polynesia....
My people....they actually talk with me. :love2:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You are more adventuresome than I am, my friend..I would take the tour to Japan......I dont handle "adventure" well ...someone tells me my flight is canceled due to "engineering issues" I would jump off a cliff! :laugh: ....would love to see you at Worlds Boston but I am afraid I wont be going....It was great to go to Nats and Worlds in Boston once but I am afraid my heart is just not there....it now belongs to the sea...where there is no drama and people bring you all sorts of stuff if you ask and the biggest choice you have every day is what restaurant are you gonna eat at. I hope we can see each other at a SA....chris who wishes he would have spent the last 30 days seeing French Polynesia....
That would be an amazing cruise! Even just West Coast to Hawaii on Holland America would be great...I'm wondering if SA will be in Vegas again We'll see! Hope to see you there.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is the cutoff limit for pairs to be able to skate the free?

16Olympics

On the Ice

Haha, Chris. You're talking about cruises and an Oceania Cruise ad pops up. They read GS, too.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
That would be an amazing cruise! Even just West Coast to Hawaii on Holland America would be great...I'm wondering if SA will be in Vegas again We'll see! Hope to see you there.
I have been to Hawaii and back (17 days) on HAL and it is amazing...looking at the volcano at night and then the Capt turns the ships lights off and the stars hit you in the face and the volcano lava pours out...and the rain forests above Honalulu....I am gonna do it again after Alaska , Mexico, and the Panama canal. Would love to see you in Vegas and our mutual friend, who tried to skate with a stress fracture...she is resting now thankfully....