Paying for live streams | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Paying for live streams

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Eurosport Player was retired in January - at least in the UK. For us, things which had been on the Eurosport Player moved to https://www.eurosport.com/ You might want to try eurosport.com to see if that now gives you access to E1, E2 and streams.
It’s just… weird? I see the streams in the Eurosport app on my nvidia media player, but not in the Eurosport app on my iphone. Guess it’s just a crappy app. ;-)

But the figure skating itself? Sounds like it’s anybody’s guess for the Netherlands. Last season we had both Eurosport player streams and non-geoblock access to the youtube streams. Which by itself was curious, to say the least.

I am an avid (Nord)VPN user myself, so I don’t mind if youtube geoblocks the streams, but I do mind commentary, so still gonna keep my fingers crossed for a miracle.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
It’s just… weird? I see the streams in the Eurosport app on my nvidia media player, but not in the Eurosport app on my iphone. Guess it’s just a crappy app. ;-)

But the figure skating itself? Sounds like it’s anybody’s guess for the Netherlands. Last season we had both Eurosport player streams and non-geoblock access to the youtube streams. Which by itself was curious, to say the least.

I am an avid (Nord)VPN user myself, so I don’t mind if youtube geoblocks the streams, but I do mind commentary, so still gonna keep my fingers crossed for a miracle.
I have a feeling that @CaroLiza_fan mentioned somewhere that The Netherlands was one of the countries which ViaPlay was keeping? If so, I suspect you will only be able to get the streams through them because they are apparently quite militant about blocking stuff they have the rights to. At the end of last season ViaPlay gained most of the figure skating rights which Eurosport previously had, but ViaPlay has since decided to focus just on Scandinavia and a couple of other countries (which I think might have included The Netherlands).

hop456

Rinkside
Sure, here is for example the link to last year's men's SP live stream:

Fingers crossed you get it to work with a vpn. As others already pointed out, a reliable vpn is Proton, with free servers in the Netherlands that should work for the ISU GP.
Thanks so much For that.

It turns out that is geoblocked in the UK and I downloaded the Proton VPN and that doesn’t make it work if I go on US or Netherlands servers :(

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks so much For that.

It turns out that is geoblocked in the UK and I downloaded the Proton VPN and that doesn’t make it work if I go on US or Netherlands servers :(
@hop456 I have just got that to play using the Opera internet browser with its VPN set to 'Europe'. I needed to turn on the VPN before entering the web address - it didn't work the other way round. It also didn't work with the VPN set to 'Asia'.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have a feeling that @CaroLiza_fan mentioned somewhere that The Netherlands was one of the countries which ViaPlay was keeping? If so, I suspect you will only be able to get the streams through them because they are apparently quite militant about blocking stuff they have the rights to. At the end of last season ViaPlay gained most of the figure skating rights which Eurosport previously had, but ViaPlay has since decided to focus just on Scandinavia and a couple of other countries (which I think might have included The Netherlands).

The Netherlands was the only country outside Scandinavia that Viaplay are continuing in (and I suspect that is only because they spent a round fortune getting the Formula 1 rights there, and it would cost them too much to pull out mid-contract).

I'm not sure if Viaplay had the skating rights in the Netherlands, though. From what I've heard on here, the public broadcaster in the Netherlands has the rights to show all ISU skating competitions, but only actually bother to show the speed skating.

I was under the impression that it was just the British Isles rights that Viaplay added to the Scandinavian rights that they already had. But, I may be wrong.

I would be very interested to know if Eurosport still has the skating rights elsewhere in Europe. Because if they do, it might mean that they get first refusal whenever Viaplay do give up the rights in the British Isles.

Hopefully the ISU will issue a list of broadcasters in the next few days. And then everything will become clearer.

CaroLiza_fan

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I'm not sure if Viaplay had the skating rights in the Netherlands, though. From what I've heard on here, the public broadcaster in the Netherlands has the rights to show all ISU skating competitions, but only actually bother to show the speed skating.

Hopefully the ISU will issue a list of broadcasters in the next few days. And then everything will become clearer.

CaroLiza_fan
I am 99.9 % sure Viaplay never had the rights for FS in the Netherlands. If they had, surely they would never have allowed the free not-blocked-for-the-Netherlands youtube streams.
(Plus I am positive I saw the 2022-2023 GPs, Euros, Worlds streams in the Eurosport app on my nvidia media player.)

I hate the not-knowing. They should know by now what they’re doing, four days before the start of the first GP.

hop456

Rinkside
@hop456 I have just got that to play using the Opera internet browser with its VPN set to 'Europe'. I needed to turn on the VPN before entering the web address - it didn't work the other way round. It also didn't work with the VPN set to 'Asia'.
Thanks I tried the same thing, I deleted internet history and shut down all the internet tabs and now the VPN works to watch the YouTube stream of skate America, whereas it didn’t before.

If there is an ISU stream on YouTube does stream it that means it will work for me. Thank you everyone for your help with this.

So for anyone else watching from the UK, you need to delete Internet history and then download Proton VPN and then the streams will work.

Thanks all

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I am 99.9 % sure Viaplay never had the rights for FS in the Netherlands. If they had, surely they would never have allowed the free not-blocked-for-the-Netherlands youtube streams.
(Plus I am positive I saw the 2022-2023 GPs, Euros, Worlds streams in the Eurosport app on my nvidia media player.)

I hate the not-knowing. They should know by now what they’re doing, four days before the start of the first GP.
Eurosport had the rights last season, but only until the end of the season. They went to ViaPlay at the end of the season. ViaPlay has now pulled out of most places (except Scandinavia and The Netherlands). It is very unclear whether the rights have now gone to anyone else.

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Thanks I tried the same thing, I deleted internet history and shut down all the internet tabs and now the VPN works to watch the YouTube stream of skate America, whereas it didn’t before.

If there is an ISU stream on YouTube does stream it that means it will work for me. Thank you everyone for your help with this.

So for anyone else watching from the UK, you need to delete Internet history and then download Proton VPN and then the streams will work.

Thanks all

Does it work if you don't delete your internet history?

In my case here from Australia, all I need to do is connect the Proton VPN to Netherlands, then click the video link (or go to Youtube and search "Skate America 2022") and I can watch it. I'm using Google Chrome and I have many other tabs open, including this GS forum haha. I tested it in Firefox as well and it also works without deleting the history. The most important part is to connect to the VPN first before going to the Youtube page.

But anyway, glad you got it to work 😊

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
While thanks are due from those who will watch Skate America to those who have helped them work round to it, this is all really indicative of the major depressing problem in that... who, outside the few on discussion boards who get to hear about it and care enough to do all that messing about with www stuff, is going to be able to watch the damn competitions and help the sport gain (let alone not lose) fans? Do the feds and the ISU even care at this point?

Last edited:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While thanks are due from those who will watch Skate America to those who have helped them work round to it, this is all really indicative of the major depressing problem in that... who, outside the few on discussion boards who get to hear about it and care enough to do all that messing about with www stuff, is going to be able to watch the damn competitions and help the sport gain (let alone not lose) fans? Do the feds and the ISU even care at this point?
Without Golden Skate. I would have never seen the JGP, any challengers, any Nationals besides USA, and no Senior B's. It is impossible to know about these events.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Without Golden Skate. I would have never seen the JGP, any challengers, any Nationals besides USA, and no Senior B's. It is impossible to know about these events.
And even when people do know, they don't know how to access them. I mean, most folk wouldn't - if they were interested but not fans - think to go hunting down instructions on how to access a youtube stream. Why would they?

It would be funny if it wasn't so aggravating.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i don't need to mess around at all.. everything is available for me. Repeating this because if it is possible for Canadians, it is for others. BTW, CBC does the same with pretty much all sports

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Finland is not officially a part of Scandinavia and it seems none of the NENT group's channels is not showing FS here. In national channel's internet channel's website is said "YLE shows GPs" but there is only a couple of days' future schedule. If I remember right, they showed some before NENT bought the rights, but not all. So if there is any global free stream, maybe I can watch without VPN.

hop456

Rinkside
Does it work if you don't delete your internet history?

In my case here from Australia, all I need to do is connect the Proton VPN to Netherlands, then click the video link (or go to Youtube and search "Skate America 2022") and I can watch it. I'm using Google Chrome and I have many other tabs open, including this GS forum haha. I tested it in Firefox as well and it also works without deleting the history. The most important part is to connect to the VPN first before going to the Youtube page.

But anyway, glad you got it to work 😊
It didn’t work for me at first without doing that, but it may for you! :)

hop456

Rinkside
I totally agree. I watch a bit of tennis even though I’m not a big fan because it’s easily available to me but I’m not going to hunt it down! I wonder how much less attention the sport gets because it’s not easily available?

Having said that it’s not particularly popular in the UK so maybe viewing is a lot easier in other countries!