2024 U.S. Nationals Senior Women's Free Skate | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals Senior Women's Free Skate

rain

Record Breaker
Amber is such an eloquent speaker and an excellent representative of the USA
I think everyone needs to heed what she said about winning juniors and then having the weight of all the expectations from others crush her. This is, unfortunately, what far too many very young skaters go through as soon as they start to show promise. Look at how many people in this thread are ready to throw out Amber and Isabeau in favour of the next young phenom after a single performance. Fans need to calm down and let these kids develop properly.
To be honest, I am delighted for Amber Glenn.

She is underrated. She of course, should skate better second halves ...but she is truly the best skater in the USA in my opinion. So I am delighted for her.

BRAVO !!!! You deserve this !
I think Amber is hands-down the best skater in the U.S. right now. And I think she earned this title fair and square. It wasn't a perfect long program (though the short was) but it wasn't a disaster either. What she really needs to do is plan what she's going to do if she can't get the 3-jump combo in as planned. That's where she's lost the most points.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Who is your first reserve for 4CC? I think Lindsay is a beautiful skater who has always been underappreciated by your Fed, but I can't help wondering whether she needs more time to heal from her injury. (and I'm thinking about her longer-term career with that).
I think the first reserve is Elyce Lin-Gracey.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think everyone needs to heed what she said about winning juniors and then having the weight of all the expectations from others crush her. This is, unfortunately, what far too many very young skaters go through as soon as they start to show promise. Look at how many people in this thread are ready to throw out Amber and Isabeau in favour of the next young phenom after a single performance. Fans need to calm down and let these kids develop properly.
that's the truth.

Kris135

On the Ice
Sarah doesn't have the technical mins for senior worlds yet. She only has the FP TES. She's been competing as a junior as well this season.
Well there is there the challenge cup next month that could be used .I think Ilia is going to be doing Ice shows in Europe at about the same time so maybe if the Usfs pitches in the money so she could fly over and take care of that issue because I think that she should be available if necessary because I have feeling we may need it.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There’s no reason to. Simple decision. Worlds Team should be Glenn and Levito. But it’s unlikely they’ll get a third spot, but those two are the best shot.

You wouldn't wait to see how Ziegler does at 4CC? I think I would.

My preferred selection method is out the window (Top eligibile skaters at the Nationals). That being the case, I'd want to see how things played out. After all, Ziegler did win a Grand Prix this season and she did it skating well.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
IMO Amber deserved the national title for that beautiful triple axel. It put her in a technical aether that other US women haven't been able to reach. Stellar. True, she messed up a couple of jumps, but the women who finished programs with a complete set of jumps can't compare with Amber's mature and convincing skating.

The women's free was an awful watch for me, because of the awful choreography and lack of commitment by skaters to anything choreographic. I saw cross over, crossover, jump. Rinse repeat. The only embellishments were random arm wavings, too much random arm wavings. Totally uninspired. I did appreciate Lindsay Thorngren's huge improvement in this area; she's the only one of the last 12 skaters who seemed to get it that a presentation to music requires mood, feeling, and all-over body movements to elicit these. And at least she tried. Other top skaters looked just plain lazy in this regard, no care or attention (notably the women in Gambill's camp): I wish USFS would step in at champs camp and insist on complete and executed choreography.

The announcers seem completely clueless that the quad jumps from a banned country have been fueled by doping, which allows for more practice repetitions and quicker recovery. NBC should STOP insisting women from non-banned countries should "catch up" or are "lagging behind" women whose training practices are abusive and supported by dubious substances. This was obvious—and televised—at the last Olympics, and should not be encouraged by US sports media. IMO

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
: I wish USFS would step in at champs camp and insist on complete and executed choreography.

The announcers seem completely clueless that the quad jumps from a banned country have been fueled by doping, which allows for more practice repetitions and quicker recovery. NBC should STOP insisting women from non-banned countries should "catch up" or are "lagging behind" women whose training practices are abusive and supported by dubious substances. This was obvious—and televised—at the last Olympics, and should not be encouraged by US sports media. IMO
Agree 100%

readernick

Medalist
You wouldn't wait to see how Ziegler does at 4CC? I think I would.

My preferred selection method is out the window (Top eligibile skaters at the Nationals). That being the case, I'd want to see how things played out. After all, Ziegler did win a Grand Prix this season and she did it skating well.
She did but Ava also had a lot of very poor results this year. There are many talented US ladies but there are no talented consistent US ladies at the moment. Ava likely isn't going to be the savior..

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
And so the plot thickens. Good on Amber who deserved gold. I guess we wait to see what Ms. Ziegler does but she is going to have to skate really well to unseat Amber and Isabeau. I still think Isabeau's body of work will get her into worlds. Ava was probably deep down hoping Isabeau would win the US title. She has to skate really well to knock one of them out. While Isabeau has flaws she still is consistent and no 4 in the world.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Folks did Meissner, Caroline Zhang, Rachael Flatt similarly back in the 2000s.

The more things change, the more they stay the same ;)

rain

Record Breaker
This is frankly infuriating. They are giving the casual viewer a completely erroneous view of the sport and what expectations should be for women in skating. Nobody should be aspiring to the example set by said banned country.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Final Scores for the Women's Free Skate
  1. Amber Glenn (210.46)
  2. Josephine Lee (204.13)
  3. Isabeau Levito (200.68)
  4. Sarah Everhardt (193.370
  5. Clare Seo (187.56)
  6. Starr Andrews (185.49)
  7. Lindsay Thorngren (180.98)
  8. Mia Kalin (177.81)
  9. Audrey Shin (175.61
  10. Elyce Lin-Gracey (173.11)
  11. Soho Lee (167.03)
  12. Sonja Hilmer (164.89)
  13. Wren Warne-Jacobsen (161.23)
  14. Katie Shen (160.87)
  15. Michelle Lee (156.84)
  16. Brooke Gewalt (154.80)
  17. Alex Evans (152.80)
  18. Lindsay Wang (142.33)
Congrats to Amber on her gold medal!! Congrats to Josephine on her silver medal AND a wonderful comeback to Nationals! (I'm so proud 🥹) Congrats to Isabeau on her bronze medal! And congrats to all the lovely ladies who competed at U.S. Nats <333

All scores and their details can be found here!
Congrats so Sarah on her pewter:)

Skating91

Medalist
Well done to Amber landing her 3A.

I'm not sure Isabeau can be sent to World's. The scoring was extremely generous in the short program it is the only reason she was on the podium in the end. She is fortunate to stay on the podium.

Plus she is only 16. She has many years ahead if she can stay healthy. This is a very concerning result I hope she hasn't been pushed too hard too early. We don't like to see another Alysa Liu situation.

If they are going to send Isabeau to World's anyway, then what was the point of even holding the event for the women?