2024 U.S. Nationals Senior Women's Free Skate | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals Senior Women's Free Skate

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sarah Everhardt really came out of nowhere. I knew that there was a junior ladies' skater training at Ilia's rink, but I had no idea that the jumps were going to be that good. She actually reminds me of Ilia in a way. Great, big, airy jumps. Give some type of jump coach award to Malinina and Skorniakov. When the jumps are that stable, it's hard to miss. Surprised she doesn't have a more difficult 3-3 combo though (only 3T-3T in the SP). Needs to mature and work on choreography, expression, and posture, but all very doable over the next few years, and what she's starting with isn't bad.
So this got my curiosity up and I went back and watched this skate. Solid debut as well as great jumping, which bodes well for her moving forward. Also being 17 (apparently). But...to me she is just going through a checklist, checking boxes. Something appears to be missing, I think - spark, perhaps - something like that. :scratch2:

Janice4th

On the Ice
I didn’t find the Ladies long disappointing at all. There were some lovely skates early on, and even with the flubs, the rest of the skating was lovely. Also, the crowd was wonderfully supportive of all the skaters. It was a great night, all in all.

Janice4th

On the Ice
So this got my curiosity up and I went back and watched this skate. Solid debut as well as great jumping, which bodes well for her moving forward. Also being 17 (apparently). But...to me she is just going through a checklist, checking boxes. Something appears to be missing, I think - spark, perhaps - something like that. :scratch2:
It’s her speed. She was a bit slow.

cailuj365

On the Ice

I don't disagree. She's not the whole package at this point, and she's debuting at a later age than her peers, but she just had two technically solid and clean programs on her senior debut and got on the podium. What a promising start. I kind of like that she's no fuss, no frills in a way. I was more interested in her skate than Mia Kalin's with the quad toe.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can anyone tell me why the Women skate back to back days while the men get a day off in between programs? I’d think giving the Women Thursday and Saturday and the Men Friday and Sunday would make the most sense and create the best opportunity for skaters to be rested and capable of showing their best efforts. Not only that I’d imagine having the Men and Women Spread out so that each day will feature one of them would likely help keep the attendance up Each day?

Am I just being ridiculous again for asking such questions?

Last edited:

Remilia

On the Ice
I'm not too worried about Isabeau. People will blame her technique for her poor showing, and while her technique does need work, you could tell her nervous and scared she was when she got out on the ice. I think the mistakes were primarily due to nerves :shrug:. Assuming she's sent to worlds, I would expect a better showing there, now that a lot of the pressure is off her shoulders

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Can anyone tell me why the Women skate back to back days while the men get a day off in between programs? I’d think giving the Women Thursday and Saturday and the Men Friday and Sunday would make the most sense and create the best opportunity for skaters to be rested and capable of showing their best efforts. Not only that I’d imagine having the Men and Women Spread out so that each day will feature one of them would likely help keep the attendance up Each day?

i think that all disciplines should get a day off in between... to me, pairs is the discipline needing it the most... but yeah.. scheduling is always weird isn't it?

Last edited:

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
This event was a bit of a hot mess. So many of the programs are identical with the same princess-like music and wobbly jumps. Amber at least went out with ferocity and attack in the first half. It’s really too bad Ava decided not to compete at her country’s national championship. I understand the time crunch, but still. She could have won and added to her great result at NHK. Now we won’t know is she’s America‘s top lady. As for Isabeau, she’s had a tough season, but this certainly doesn’t mean she’s done for. I hope she can go to World’s and redeem herself. All Amber needs to do is keep her focus for one minute longer and she’ll do really well. Good luck to our ladies because they certainly need it!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I had thought Amber had lost the title, and I was so distraught that I didn't even watch Isabeau skate live...imagine my surprise when I saw the scores and Amber won! I'm so proud that Amber was able to hang in there as much as she could! 🥲 I love Amber a lot, and I'm so so glad she finally got a national title!
Not sure why you would have given up hope after seeing Amber skate. Foolishness. HEr score was still a possible win. But now we have real drama. WHo is USFS sending to worlds. To the person who said Amber is kicking herself for not competing at Nats and possibly winning I think the real challenge now is Amber and Isabeau are both in th emix with her for the two spots. Whereas if Isabeau had won Ava's chances of making the world team would have been higher. Amber just needs to stay very close to Ava to get her sot to worlds.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well done to Amber landing her 3A.

I'm not sure Isabeau can be sent to World's. The scoring was extremely generous in the short program it is the only reason she was on the podium in the end. She is fortunate to stay on the podium.

Plus she is only 16. She has many years ahead if she can stay healthy. This is a very concerning result I hope she hasn't been pushed too hard too early. We don't like to see another Alysa Liu situation.

If they are going to send Isabeau to World's anyway, then what was the point of even holding the event for the women?
I don't think the USFSS has made its mind up yet. Ava is in the running though people have to remember she had some pretty bad skates season. She may have been hoping by skating less she just happens to do well at 4ccs and minimize the damage. Isabeau tends tocome up big at the bigger events so don't count her out. THank goodness the Russians aren't competing that could ruin the US' chance for three spots.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This is not relevant to the thread. Just enjoy what Amber achieved there is no need to slander and spread rumours about an entire country where figure skating (gymnastics, ballet too) is a major sport for females.

If ice rinks were as common as basketball courts the US would have girls doing 4S+1Eu+4S combos too.

Amber is showing what females are capable even late in their career.

Well done to Amber. She earned a place at World's.

Edit. I thought the US only had one place for World's it's two. They will definitely send Isabeau as the second skater.
Well Amber is no Maria Butyrskaya or Deanna Stellato.

skatingguy

On the Ice

NBC, and no.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Everyone gets a day off except the women. It’s unfair. I was thinking about this even before the competition yesterday.