Ladies SP - 2014 European Championships | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP - 2014 European Championships

rollerblade

Record Breaker
You're not allowed to do the same jump twice in the SP (except for a 3T3T; when it's within the same jumping pass), so if she did a 3F3T combo, she'd have to replace her single 3F with something else.
So elif is right, what you're suggesting would be to replace [3Lz3T + 3F] by [3F3T + 3Lo] since the 3Lo is next in line in the value ranking of jumps.
That would be 0.90 points lower without the e call. If she knew for a fact that she'd get an e call for her Lz, then this scenario might be slightly better. BUT she doesn't always get the e call, it's really close most of the time, and the Olympics will be in Russia. (not saying judging is biased, but... judging is biased) So she must have strong hopes that she won't get the e call. (she actually did also get the e call for her F a few times! ;) )
Also, I don't know how her success rate of the Lo is in comparison to the Lz: She looks like she nails every jump no matter what, but maybe she feels the Lo is a bit more risky than the Lz and F?

They just add the individual base value of both jumps:
base value for a 3Lz = 6 points
base value for a 3T = 4.10 points
base value for a 3Lz3T = 10.10 points

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Frenchie! :) That makes complete sense, I totally overlooked the single triple.

It's still crazy that a well executed Sotnikova 3T/3T got 9.60, only half point behind a baseline 3Lz/3T.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Wow, Adelina's PCS is within .1 of a clean and pristine Carolina's
I never thought it was possible. But with figure skating, I suppose I should expect her PCS in Sochi to be 3 points higher.

I think this might be my final season watching figure skating. After this year, all the good ones retire. The leftovers like Julia make my skin crawl.

The allegation is more than just palpable, but after reading the protocol, I am kind of inclined to think that it may have to do with individual judges' preference. Or so I hope.

Mao88

Record Breaker
I think this might be my final season watching figure skating. After this year, all the good ones retire. The leftovers like Julia make my skin crawl.

Well, given that you are a Rachael Flatt fan, your views on what you regard as a 'good' skater have always struck me as being rather eccentric.

Julia is a fabulous skater

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Well, given that you are a Rachael Flatt fan, your views on what you regard as a 'good' skater have always struck me as being rather eccentric.

Rachael was a good skater. No one ever accused her of skating through the music. If you haven't seen her live, then you don't know.
If you like that girl, that's fine with me. Enjoy.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm very impressed with the overall quality of the ladies SP. Many clean skates with 3-3 combos. I'd have had Kostner in first but it's apparent that

As for Kostner's PCS, 33.68 isn't much lower than her PB of 33.85. I doubt it'll clear 34 points in Sochi, but you can bet that Sotnikova's might, just like Julia's will easily clear 32 on home ice.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty

About Julia, she is a talent itself, I agree, but she has still the juniorish to shed off her skating.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow, Adelina's PCS is within .1 of a clean and pristine Carolina's
I never thought it was possible. But with figure skating, I suppose I should expect her PCS in Sochi to be 3 points higher.

Julia's a talented, consistent, high difficulty skater with unique moves and showing continuous improvement. While she's not everyone's cup of tea, it's rather sad that she apparently is just some post-Sochi "leftover" who makes your skin crawl. Serial killers make people's skin crawl; not skaters like Julia.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Julia's a talented, consistent, high difficulty skater with unique moves and showing continuous improvement. While she's not everyone's cup of tea, it's rather sad that she apparently is just some post-Sochi "leftover" who makes your skin crawl. Serial killers make people's skin crawl; not skaters like Julia.

I don't watch serial killers in action 5 times a year.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty

I think it's Flattfan being rhetoric. I love Julia's technique and precociousness, but I am not convinced of her skating basics though.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
Looking at the protocols, Carro, Julia and Viktoria Helgesson were the only ladies that got level 4 on theyr steps... Sotnikova got a 3...

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Thanks for the detailed explanation, Frenchie! :) That makes complete sense, I totally overlooked the single triple.

It's still crazy that a well executed Sotnikova 3T/3T got 9.60, only half point behind a baseline 3Lz/3T.

Sotnikova has tried a 3Lz3Lo combination a few times... Extremely risky, not worth enough (11.10pts; only 1 point more Base Value than 3Lz3T!) and usually not successful. Every time I saw her set up for that jump, I was already shaking my head...
Who knows, maybe the judges gave her such huge GOEs because they feel the same way and wanted to make sure she got the message that 3T3T will be just fine! ;) (It was, obviously, a greatly executed combo... but still, very generous marks - every single judge gave her +2!)

elif

Medalist
Looking at the protocols, Carro, Julia and Viktoria Helgesson were the only ladies that got level 4 on theyr steps... Sotnikova got a 3...

Adelina lost a level for spin too. Her score could be 1.3 point higher than this. 0.5 base value for spin and 0.6 base value for steps and also she can get 0.2 higher GOE like Julia If her steps are level4.

Kostner lost 0.4 base value for first spin, 0.8 base value for other spin so her score could be 1.2 point higher. But she should work with her spins. This is not first time she gets level3,level2 spins with low GOE.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty

Interesting. I didn't pay attention to that. By the way Adelina is the one who stands out among her compatriots as of now; she is the only Russian youngster whose skating has successfully and categorically transformed into senior level.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Adelina's jump quality was decent overall. Speed and height and running edge all are spotted on. More importantly, she skated with confidence; I guess that was appreciated by the panel. However, what critically lacks in her skating or jump, as you guys can notice, is line transition, that is undulating flow that can be engendered by bodyline as well as its extension incorporated into her movement on ice. This requires comprehensive skating skill. Perhaps in her case, her body shape is not advantageous yet, which is not in her control entirely : some has it; some has not.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty

For Julia, she is a brave cookie, talented. Her strength is her "maturity". when I say maturity, this is not the same as "maturity" in Kostner's skating. I kind of struggle with proper diction now. Well, lest us say "precociousness" I guess. What I am really worried about her skating is that like Liza, she lacks of the "basics". Again when I say the basic, this has more to do with her juniorish condition, not technicality per se. What an irony that Julia lacks of "the basic" with her skating having been ratified and approved in the ISU sanctioned international competitions. Her body is being under development, her skating is in essence up in the air. Her body doesn't absorb the impact of jump or its technique which makes her skating unstable and unsettled. This is typical in junior skating. In their skating, their body does not fully control the impact of landing. As they grow, the ratio between their body and technique especially in jump radically changes. Therefore, as of now, Julia's brilliance still remains within junior realm.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULTS - Updated

1. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 70.73 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) - 69.97 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 68.97 Short Program, 2nd copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
4. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 64.09 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 58.64 Short Program, 2nd Copy
6. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 57.38 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
7. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 54.78 Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Elena GLEBOVA (EST) - 54.68 Short Program
9. Joshi HELGESSON (SWE) - 54.25 Short Program
10. Nathalie WEINZIERL (GER) - 53.02 Short Prorgram
11. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 52.55 Short Program
12. Juulia TURKKILA (FIN) - 50.42
13. Laurine LECAVELIER (FRA) - 49.12
14. Nicole RAJICOVA (SVK) - 49.00 Short Program
15. Roberta RODEGHIERO (ITA) - 48.52 Short Program
16. Eliska BREZINOVA (CZE) - 47.10
17. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) - 47.01 Short Program

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Carolina's PCS is way too low comparing what the Russian girl received. They are not at the same level. I went back to watch the videos again and still feel the same way. Come on judges! Do you job with some credibility.

Gigi13

On the Ice
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULTS

1. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 70.73 Short Program
2. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) - 69.97 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 68.97 Short Program, 2nd copy
4. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 64.09 Short Program
5. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 58.64 Short Program
6. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 57.38 Short Program
7. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 54.78 Short Program
8. Elena GLEBOVA (EST) - 54.68 Short Program
9. Joshi HELGESSON (SWE) - 54.25 Short Program
10. Nathalie WEINZIERL (GER) - 53.02 Short Prorgram

Thank you for those links you are a savior! :) I was busy this morning so now I can go watch!