Does a Skater's Choice of Music Influence You? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Does a Skater's Choice of Music Influence You?

BlackPack

Medalist
yes

automatic deductions the isu should consider:

-1 for rachmanioff
-2 for the piazzolla tangos except adios nonino
-3 for adios nonino
-5 for west side story
-5 for malaguena
-10 for romeo and juliet
-15 for scheherezade
-20 for the feeling begins
-30 for firebird
-50 for anything with the word 'swan' in it
one year suspension for les mis or poto
banned for life for carmen
death by electric chair for requiem for a dream
:rofl:

Although we haven't heard Requiem for a while. Cappellini and Lanotte used it and they're now World Champions:biggrin:

BlackPack

Medalist
It makes a huge difference. I know that when one of the Olympics commentators said that Kevin Reynolds "isn't really into music," or words to that effect, I was horrified. I didn't mind that he wants to skate to AC/DC or hard rock, though. I'm all for imagination and taking chances, not using the same boring old warhorses. And after watching a couple of his ice show performances I do think Kevin can interpret music well. Just can't wrap my head around what kind of person, and skater in particular, doesn't care about music? (Maybe the commentator was taking quotes out of context, who knows.)

I dunno.... the last time I checked AC/DC/hardrock still qualifies as music, so he's into music. He just hasn't found his aesthetic and musical style. No one is guiding him properly and plus it doesn't matter if he keeps delivering splatfests.

Meoima

Match Penalty
There's lots of skaters, if you chance the music, the program will gonna stay the same. :biggrin:

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice
yes

-1 for rachmanioff
-3 for adios nonino
-5 for west side story
-5 for malaguena
-10 for romeo and juliet
-15 for scheherezade
-30 for firebird

did you put those music because you don't like those music or is it because you're tired of it?

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice
Absofreakinglutely! I"m SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sick of tangoes and Carmen and Firebird and anything with Swan in it. Malaguena and Sheherezade and Adios Nonino.

I think tango musics should get a + instead of - since tango is the most hard type of dance to perform.

alebi

Medalist
I think tango musics should get a + instead of - since tango is the most hard type of dance to perform.

You're right but then you see so many skaters who (still) have no awareness of passion and sadness that perform a meaningless tango, just moving their arms in a such way... plus, you hear 90% of times the same piece so that you think "no, not again please!"... W/P tried an unusual music and I think almost everyone will remember their performance in the future, that means they did a masterpiece even if it was a tango :)

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I'm usually tired of overused music, but the key thing for me is how well the skaters interpret their music, if the choice fits their style. If lively music is used by a stone-faced skater, or something resembling a funeral march by a person that's still a bit childlike in expression, or a style of music that is apparently completely outlandish to a skater so they just execute their movements and apparently don't hear the music at all... my enjoyment is low, no matter how beautiful the music.

yes

-1 for rachmanioff
-3 for adios nonino
-5 for west side story
-5 for malaguena
-10 for romeo and juliet
-15 for scheherezade
-30 for firebird

How much for Rhapsody in Blue? My hair practically stands on end the moment I hear the first tones. Like someone's pulling a cat's tail, and unfortunately it doesn't get much better.

Rubirosa

Match Penalty
yes

-1 for rachmanioff
-3 for adios nonino
-5 for west side story
-5 for malaguena
-10 for romeo and juliet
-15 for scheherezade
-30 for firebird

You forgot Don Quixote. :)

RABID

Final Flight
Well, it certainly has helped my CD collection if I like the music a skater has used. I already love classical music & Broadway musicals, but I've bought a number of soundtracks that skaters have skated to, even if I haven't seen the movies. At the same time, I can and do appreciate musical choices that are not as likely (Jeremy Abbott's free skate, many of P/B programs, Deloebel & Schoenfelder ...)

I'm a bit of "dabbler" with music genres; I like them all (mostly) but my fluency in them all is far from comprehensive. To an outsider many of these pieces of music are a revelation, overused in figure skating perhaps, but sometimes I think to myself, oh, isn't that an interesting piece that I wouldn't spend much time with ordinarily. Speaking of which I wouldn't mind seeing more interpretation of some jazz pieces.

noskates

Record Breaker
Read this thread and then go to the thread where people are suggesting music for next year's programs - same old warhorses. Get a clue people!!!!

noskates

Record Breaker

But we're not talking about dancing - we're talking about skating. And very, very few of the skaters who use tangoes can interpret them. They've just been so overdone. People are STILL suggesting them as programs next year. Yuck.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
Read this thread and then go to the thread where people are suggesting music for next year's programs - same old warhorses. Get a clue people!!!!

ikr

some of yall need jesus

i would seriously rather someone skate to snoop dogg than tchaikovsky at this point

Last edited by a moderator:
To an outsider many of these pieces of music are a revelation, overused in figure skating perhaps, but sometimes I think to myself, oh, isn't that an interesting piece that I wouldn't spend much time with ordinarily.

Yes, this. :yes: There is a reason it's called classical music. This stuff is classical. If it weren't for figure skating I would have to get all dressed up and go to the opera if I wanted to hear Carmen.

Back in the day the only exposure children had to classical music was Buggs Bunny cartoons. Figure skating is our last bastion.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Bugs is timeless, too. :biggrin:

I will always think Cappellini & Lanotte won their World Championship skating to the Rabbit of Seville.

Last edited:

JayW

Final Flight
Yes, this. :yes: There is a reason it's called classical music. This stuff is classical. If it weren't for figure skating I would have to get all dressed up and go to the opera if I wanted to hear Carmen.

Back in the day the only exposure children had to classical music was Buggs Bunny cartoons. Figure skating is our last bastion.

Agreed! I never really enjoyed Astor Pizzolla, until Lu Chen did it in 1998. I am assuming many oursiders of classic music could benefit just like me.

JayW

Final Flight
Mozart also has a lot cheerful music suitable for skating. Caro did wonderful job in 2012. But why not other skaters?

i would seriously rather someone skate to snoop dogg than tchaikovsky at this point

But here's the thing. If children want to listen to Snoop Dog they can do so on their I-thingys. Why force them to endure a competitive figure skating performance?