Marin Honda | Page 55 | Golden Skate

Marin Honda

combinationspin

On the Ice
Unfortunately, her SP performance today wasn’t very confident. I must say I’m not a fan of this SP package at all - the black dress and crass singing are too heavy and lack suave-ness in my opinion. Still hoping for a good LP tomorrow.

pandatours

On the Ice
Unfortunately, her SP performance today wasn’t very confident. I must say I’m not a fan of this SP package at all - the black dress and crass singing are too heavy and lack suave-ness in my opinion. Still hoping for a good LP tomorrow.

I agree about the dress (I actually liked her red with black trim exhibition one she first skated in), I don’t really think it fits and looks heavy. But I’m scratching my head at “crass singing”- is it because of the choice in who is singing the cover? Or the song itself? Seven Nation Army was actually written about the pressures of fame so I feel like it is fitting. I don’t love the version they chose though

Raf asked for a two year commitment and I feel like it takes about a year with a new coach to start to see real improvements.

Amef

Final Flight
Her red dress during The Ice was better. Must say I love the choreo, music cut.

But her consistency seriously needs to be worked. Her BV is low compared to others.

combinationspin

On the Ice
I agree about the dress (I actually liked her red with black trim exhibition one she first skated in), I don’t really think it fits and looks heavy. But I’m scratching my head at “crass singing”- is it because of the choice in who is singing the cover? Or the song itself? Seven Nation Army was actually written about the pressures of fame so I feel like it is fitting. I don’t love the version they chose though
What I meant is that the singer employs a style of singing that is rather rough and unrefined. Thus one needs to skate with tons of confidence, performance quality and projection in order not to get burried under the singing. I would have strongly preferred an instrumental version or even the original recording over this cover version for Marin. What you say about the song's content is interesting and new to me, maybe the lyrics can serve Marin as an inspiration.

rnois13

On the Ice
I notice she's nervous and she really rushed her jumps. Raf's tech always require checking.
I heard he said "I told you to wait. You didn't wait.. " but he was positive to her in the K&C. Raf has been saying in interviews that it will take years so I'm not surprised that it looks like she's re-learning all her jumps. I think the hardest to her is managing all the pressure she's feeling. Unfortunately not every match there's going to be a bird flying on the ice.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I notice she's nervous and she really rushed her jumps. Raf's tech always require checking.
I heard he said "I told you to wait. You didn't wait.. " but he was positive to her in the K&C. Raf has been saying in interviews that it will take years so I'm not surprised that it looks like she's re-learning all her jumps. I think the hardest to her is managing all the pressure she's feeling. Unfortunately not every match there's going to be a bird flying on the ice.

I think we need to be patient and allow some time for Raf's 'magic' to work. Her SS are to die for

Good luck for FS Marin! :pray:

MarinHondas

Final Flight
It’s better to bomb here than at her GP’s :). Anyways personally I love the SP dress. It’s edgy and cute. It’s different for her but she needs different sometimes. Her flow and edges are unmatched. Fight in the free Marin!!!!

combinationspin

On the Ice
Marin HONDA - LP, Nebelhorn Trophy 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcNS49fpwwU

The free skate was lovely! Reminds me a bit of Mao’s Madame Butterfly. The program suits Marin well and she seems really into it. Her SS, especially in the first half, were stunning. She has never looked this mature on ice. But she lost some steam halfway through and needs more time with the jumps of course. Hope she will get there soon.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
My concern is how there was seemingly no 3-3 planned. Anyways I do love the program and yes, I reminded me of Mao’s

breadstal

Record Breaker
She has to have one more combo, it can be another 2A-3T or 3-3. It wasn't good competition for her but still, it's start of season and like it was already said, she's relearning her jumps, fighting growing changes and is adjusting to new coach/training place. Her SS scores (PCS overall tbh) are criminal, I think they become even more flawless when I thought they couldn't :love: I like both programs and she already performed them well even with jumps problems. I don't like her new spins positions though, especially that y-spin :unsure: Hopefully this event will motivate her and we will see only better and better performances this season :pray:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Her FS is beyond gorgeous. I also like the short but not so much the leather costume. Definitely not a great competition for her but some promising things. And really the FS is amazing. I hope she can skate it clean.:luv17:

WineHerUp

On the Ice
I can't believe that judges actually gave her a 7 in SS :confused:. Scoring atrocities and jump issues aside, the free program is still quite stunning. I think once the Grand Prix starts, Marin will be in better form so I'm not too worried yet.

Amef

Final Flight
Loved her FS choreo and music cut. My favorite senior ladies program of the season. But her consistency was the problem.. And she could work on her spins more. Also her jumps need to be higher if she wants to win GPs and go to GPF. Other than that, great musicality and skating skills

mirai_asada

On the Ice
Choreography-wise, her FS is so gorgeous. The music is fine but I'd love it better if she had used an instrumental version instead of with vocals :laugh2:

I do like the cover she used for her SP though.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Am I the only one who loves the voice in the FS? I found it lovely! It didn't bother me nor it is distracting to me. Marin looked beautiful! :love: A beautiful program! :)

rnois13

On the Ice
When I saw the program I thought it was lovely and enchanting. The song itself played in the emotionally intense conclusion of the movie. Hopefully Marin will be able to convey a strong intensity as the season continues.

It was really nice to see Raf being nurturing to her in the K&C. He pointed out her improvement, showed understanding in her process of learning to trust new techniques and was reassuring. It raised Marin's enthusiasm and seeing her speak to Raf is good.

combinationspin

On the Ice
It was really nice to see Raf being nurturing to her in the K&C. He pointed out her improvement, showed understanding in her process of learning to trust new techniques and was reassuring. It raised Marin's enthusiasm and seeing her speak to Raf is good.

Did you catch what Raf said exactly? I didn’t understand him at all.

Amef

Final Flight
I think her jumps during practices looked fine. It might be because of nerves so old habits came out.
Anyways, I found some of her interviews after SP & FS and I did a quick translation.
She looked quite positive there. I hope her GPS will go well for her :)

https://twitter.com/4T4S4Lo4F4Lz4A/status/1046060177173229568
https://twitter.com/4T4S4Lo4F4Lz4A/status/1046056187333103616
Her main problem is URs. I don't know if this is a competition problem. Her jumps need more height.

pandatours

On the Ice
Her main problem is URs. I don't know if this is a competition problem. Her jumps need more height.

UR can be a competition problem. Though Raf was able to help Ashley’s technique so there were less URs- I think a combination of speed and what Ashley said was the initial snap when jumping. I don’t know what helps someone jump higher though