Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 812 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

pandatours

On the Ice
I wonder if she'll knit Jerry a sweater now that she has a new hobby.

She crochets, not knits. But if she made one it would be so beautiful and perfect for winter in Moscow!

I would actually love for her to crochet a temperature scarf, which is a popular and meaningful fiber project. Basically every day for a year you crochet a row or two of a color that corresponds to the temperature range of a place. At the end of the year you have a beautifully unique rainbow scarf that will always remind you of a special place. She can pick Moscow if she’s feeling homesick or Toronto. I’ve always thought it would be a fun gift to make for a skater but I am too lazy to make one.

nervosa

On the Ice
They called Lutz on Oli <<? VTF? Are they blind? or are we blind?: Noshake:

That person seems to believe in underrotation/downgrading based on prerotation. Personally I disagree with how they're applying it. They seem not to be aware that prerotation is an inherent part of all jumps.

Especially this, where they say << for the 0.5 rotation on the ice... Except the standard for a good lutz is ~0.25 prerotation...

Plus, it's never used, but the ISU supposedly has its own rules for dealing with cheated takeoffs that are separate from calling jumps underrotated/downgrading.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
That person seems to believe in underrotation/downgrading based on prerotation. Personally I disagree with how they're applying it. They seem not to be aware that prerotation is an inherent part of all jumps.

Especially this, where they say << for the 0.5 rotation on the ice... Except the standard for a good lutz is ~0.25 prerotation...

Plus, it's never used, but the ISU supposedly has its own rules for dealing with cheated takeoffs that are separate from calling jumps underrotated/downgrading.

The official ISU guidance is that pre-rotation of 180 degrees is grounds for downgrading the jump. However, pre-rotation can only be assessed in real time (no slo-mo). The actual language doesn’t even say 180 degrees but rather a forward takeoff for any non-Axel jump (and a backward takeoff for the Axel).

A tech panel would be within their right to downgrade the OWG 3Lze and could easily justify doing so. But pre-rotation is almost never assessed or punished by TPs, which has become more of a problem when jumps are both heavily pre-rotated (beyond the normal allowance for a given jump type) and UR’d.

melgirl25

Medalist
I posted it to look at the progression from last season. It was cool to see the difference. Just looks wise, it looks better to me.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I posted it to look at the progression from last season. It was cool to see the difference. Just looks wise, it looks better to me.

Her 3T in combo almost looks like an entirely different jump. Amazing progress there.

skatingfan200

Medalist
The official ISU guidance is that pre-rotation of 180 degrees is grounds for downgrading the jump. However, pre-rotation can only be assessed in real time (no slo-mo). The actual language doesn’t even say 180 degrees but rather a forward takeoff for any non-Axel jump (and a backward takeoff for the Axel).

A tech panel would be within their right to downgrade the OWG 3Lze and could easily justify doing so. But pre-rotation is almost never assessed or punished by TPs, which has become more of a problem when jumps are both heavily pre-rotated (beyond the normal allowance for a given jump type) and UR’d.

If the guidance = max. 180 degress pre-rotation than there should be no downgrade on the Olympic 3lze.

---
In general, here is a good summary what the jumps naturally have on pre-rotation.
https://curiouscat.me/chiburahakkai/post/733115967?t=1544973907

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Hey guys, I know she probably might not even see it, but I thought we could all post good luck wishes for the competition ^_^

Dear Zhenya,
I wish you an easy transition period and jet lag survival. I wish you to see your friends and fill up on those happy positive vibes. May you have good practice sessions and even better competition programs. I know it's probably hard to be seen as the unfazed warrior, and I'm sorry if it adds pressure on you, but stay the warrior that you are! You have been through other hardships as well, and I believe that you can endure this too.
Good luck and best wishes, and may you find the energy to give everything you can! :pray::pray:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are there any competitions over the summer that you think she could do? Maybe she can do her new short program for next season at some of the shows in the off season.

I'm sure she'll do shows, but those are usually in Japan.

I'm hoping that there are some lesser known competitions in the U.S. And Canada that she could go to. There is one in Philadelphia, but I do not know if that is just for U.S. Skaters.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
TCC skaters do Minto Summer Skate in Ottawa at the end of July and GTSA Summer Skate in Toronto in mid August, for domestic Canadian competitions. Mostly the juniors and lower ranked skaters, but sometimes more of the top students do participate. I think Lil Bet did GTSA summer skate sometimes when she was there, and Gabby did it too.

I doubt she'd do Minto since it's pretty early. It's the biggest of the Canadian summer comps, but that's more the juniors trying to get JGP spots and seniors competing for GP spots, etc. Brian, Lee and Ghislain were there this summer with Alison Schumacher, Conrad, Joseph Phan, Stephen, Shingo, Corey Circelli, plus the TCC dance juniors were there too.

She could do GTSA if she wants a warm-up since it's so close. I won't bet on it, but it's possible.

Tessa and Scott are not doing Stars on Ice Canada this year, so it's also possible she could be invited for that like Javi was last year to add more star power. I don't know if she'd do it, or if it conflicts with any of the Asian shows.

I would do to to the GTSA event. I would go to Toronto and Niagra falls for a summer vacation. :pray:

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
This silence is super anxiety-inducing.

Evgenia, you can do it. We are here to support you no matter what. :agree:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sure she'll do shows, but those are usually in Japan.

I'm hoping that there are some lesser known competitions in the U.S. And Canada that she could go to. There is one in Philadelphia, but I do not know if that is just for U.S. Skaters.

That would be so amazing if Zhenya attended the Philadelphia Summer Championships, where I could see her:yes:

I attended the Philly comp in 2017 and for ladies they had two skaters from South Korea, one from Mexico, and maybe one from Hong Kong? For men, Hong Kong, Korea, Mexico and Ukraine. For pairs, one representing Israel. So they definitely "take" skaters representing other countries.

Unfortunately, I do not recall any TCC skaters there. I believe it conflicts with a Canadian comp:(

melgirl25

Medalist
I wonder if her mom is with her. She doesn’t attend competitions but it would be nice if they were all together afterwards.

Do you think there are fans hanging around the airport? That is dedication lol.

uffda

Rinkside
I wonder if her mom is with her. She doesn’t attend competitions but it would be nice if they were all together afterwards.

Do you think there are fans hanging around the airport? That is dedication lol.

Oh, I bet her mom is there. :) Even if she is not attending the competitions, she still has her friends and her mom (Zhenya's grandma) back there. It is good to be back in familiar settings even if that is just for a few days. :) Especially for someone who has moved to another country just months ago and not at 18.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
The guys on TSL said that they got confirmation that Evgenia is really doing Tosca as her short program now. They were not allowed to talk about it last week but could announce it now

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That would be so amazing if Zhenya attended the Philadelphia Summer Championships, where I could see her:yes:

I attended the Philly comp in 2017 and for ladies they had two skaters from South Korea, one from Mexico, and maybe one from Hong Kong? For men, Hong Kong, Korea, Mexico and Ukraine. For pairs, one representing Israel. So they definitely "take" skaters representing other countries.

Unfortunately, I do not recall any TCC skaters there. I believe it conflicts with a Canadian comp:(

We need to put it on our Christmas list that Jason and Evgenia go to the Philadelphia Summer Championships. :pray:

- - - Updated - - -

We need to put it on our Christmas list that Jason and Evgenia go to the Philadelphia Summer Championships. :pray:

DeeDee18

On the Ice
The guys on TSL said that they got confirmation that Evgenia is really doing Tosca as her short program now. They were not allowed to talk about it last week but could announce it now

& they also said it’s by Misha Ge and she’s wearing a gold dress apperently