Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 813 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

leoleo

Medalist
wow i really thought it was impossible to change a program this late but it turns out true in the end (?) i'm very curious! i hope (if true) that she can perform this new one confidently since she had troubles with Orange Colored Sky :agree:

DeeDee18

On the Ice
I’m just rlly worried about her competing a new program after idek a month? Against everyone else who’s been skating their stuff since like June

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I’m just rlly worried about her competing a new program after idek a month? Against everyone else who’s been skating their stuff since like June

Well as far as we know Wilson and Sandra have not worked on Evgenia's short program since September because they are travelling all the time for their Javi show. That is why her short got worse throughout the season + the stress she is under. I think changing the short really was the only option they had. Because OCS did not progress for months.

uffda

Rinkside

I guess they really decided to put it all. If she makes the national team -- great. If not, they will focus on the long term goal. I just worry about her mental well-being most of all.

DeeDee18

On the Ice
Well as far as we know Wilson and Sandra have not worked on Evgenia's short program since September because they are travelling all the time for their Javi show. That is why her short got worse throughout the season + the stress she is under. I think changing the short really was the only option they had. Because OCS did not progress for months.

Yeah I thought that was weird too - the program wasn’t that finished to begin with and it was kinda left alone too. I thought Wilson would be eager to work with a 2x world champ and Olympic medallist?

leoleo

Medalist
Do you guys think she had developed a mental block with that SP or something? like did it make her lose her confidence? cause at Skate Canada we've seen her kill her FS but she seems to have had a hard time with the SP most times she performed it! i was wondering if that was the case :think:

i'm nervous, it is so late in the season but if it's a program she feels more comfortable performing then it could be a good thing. i really want her to do well at RusNats, she needs it so badly not only for euros & worlds but also to get her confidence and judges/fed favors back.

pandatours

On the Ice

Not having David and Sandra around is not the reason her short program got worse. Choreographers don’t normally stick around throughout the season to make changes, sometimes a skater or coach makes those changes. Shae Lynne Bourne talked about this in interview with TSL, most of the time choreography is a one and done situation and then they see how it evolves throughout the season. Sometimes it looks nothing like what they worked on

I think OCS didn’t change much because it was a new style for her and they wanted to keep it steady. Her short deteriorated because she didn’t know how to approach the program and with all of the changes it was stressing her out. At some point she was clearly enjoying it but no one wants to hear my overanalytical rant of why I think she stopped enjoying it.

Anyway there are pros and cons to switching a program at this point, let’s just hope this is a gamble that pays off

uffda

Rinkside
I may speculate a bit, but I have a feeling that they did not just create this program after IdF. I think it has been in the works for a while. We know how hard it is to create a program in a month, and especially considering the fact that Zhenya was struggling (mentally, most of all, but also with couple of the elements) with her current programs.

So if she did not work on her SP with Sandra since September, and same goes for David, could it be that they really have been working on it for quite some time? Maybe even before going to IdF they have already started creating new SP, which should be the case in terms of timing. It makes more sense to me than just "oh, they are so brave changing SP having so little time!". What if not? What if they they actually had a bit more time than we expected?

I know Brian and Tracy are smart and they would not put Zhenya under this mental pressure of "Oh, no, how can I present something so raw at the roughest nationals ever!?".

MedoLove

On the Ice
She changed her SP, is it official ?! yayy! The truth is that I'm very happy. Zhenya looked very uncomfortable with the previous program. I like the melody of Tosca is very lyrical and Dramatic, and Zhenya feels very good that.
Changing the choreography is not a big drama, remember that the old SP was done in less than a week. The most important thing is the distribution of the technical elements and their connections, I assume that they will recycle them (?).
So, Misha Ge helped her?? What a great friend, I always wondered what a collaboration between them would be like. I'm so excited .:hap85:

noraaa

Rinkside
I may speculate a bit, but I have a feeling that they did not just create this program after IdF. I think it has been in the works for a while. We know how hard it is to create a program in a month, and especially considering the fact that Zhenya was struggling (mentally, most of all, but also with couple of the elements) with her current programs.

So if she did not work on her SP with Sandra since September, and same goes for David, could it be that they really have been working on it for quite some time? Maybe even before going to IdF they have already started creating new SP, which should be the case in terms of timing.

Yes, I think it likely that this has been in the works for a while, especially since I don't think Misha has been in Canada recently?? On Instagram at least he has spent a lot of time in Japan and China recently.

I myself wonder if originally this was meant to be an EX and they have decided to adapt it, much like happened with Zhenya's Anna Karenina program last year.

uffda

Rinkside
Yes, I think it likely that this has been in the works for a while, especially since I don't think Misha has been in Canada recently??

You are right. I remember seing him being in Canada a couple of months ago... Was it a post or an instagram story with Zhenya? I tried to find it now, but I wasn't able to. It could be a program for a show as well, so who knows.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Not having David and Sandra around is not the reason her short program got worse. Choreographers don’t normally stick around throughout the season to make changes, sometimes a skater or coach makes those changes. Shae Lynne Bourne talked about this in interview with TSL, most of the time choreography is a one and done situation and then they see how it evolves throughout the season. Sometimes it looks nothing like what they worked on

Anyway there are pros and cons to switching a program at this point, let’s just hope this is a gamble that pays off

Not with TCC and Evgenia. The approach at TCC for every skater is to work on the choreo the whole season long and add more and more choreo with the choreographer as the season progressess. Orser also said at the beginning of the season that this was their approach for Evgenia's programs and TSL mentioned months before that Sandra and Wilson were supposed to be working with Evgenia to add more choreo but never did because of their busy schedules as Sandra told TSL so.

skatingfan200

Medalist
OCS was never my favourite, so I welcome the change. With Misha Ge, she has a good friend and I hope that will help her to find her confidence back.

I think Tosca can be great , when is the first practise session?:)