2015 Junior Worlds Free Dance March 7 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2015 Junior Worlds Free Dance March 7

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
And Canada is out of the top 3 countries meaning that we only get to send 1 team to each JGP.

But does Ukraine have enough Junior teams to fill 14 spots? Canada would be first in line for any unused spots.

Sackie

Medalist
With that performance by N/N it is doubtful that B/M would have medaled even if they had skated clean.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I wonder how the music selection process works. It was not POTO which is now or R&J. I never heard the "robot" music which Zhenya used before. Yet the Ukrainians used it in their FS as well at the same competition.

Well Ukrainians are coached by Zhulin. And Zhenya's free program was choreographed by...Zhulin :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
M/C's program is nothing to write home about (well the spin, yes...), but it was very well skated. Their team played the COP game, they played it safe, and they played it successfully. But it's obvious they have the skills to do something more adventurous. And I hope they do.

Sackie

Medalist
N/N should have been 2nd here! M/C should not have been that close to them in the free!

NaVi

Medalist
I wonder how the music selection process works. It was not POTO which is now or R&J. I never heard the "robot" music which Zhenya used before. Yet the Ukrainians used it in their FS as well at the same competition.

I read somewhere that Zhulin helped choreograph for Medvedeva.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
All of the top 4 could come back to junior competition next year, if they want to. Most of the top ten can.

The eligibility date would be after July 1, 1996 Ladies
after July 1, 1994 Men
Yanovskaya / Mozgov
Nov 23, 1996 / Oct 5, 1994

Nazarova / Nikitin (already competing senior)
Nov 30, 1996 / Oct 5, 1994

RUS (11 pts), US (6 pts), CAN (11 pts) get 3 World spots based on 2 with points of 13 or less

UKR (17 pts), FRA (23 pts) 2 worlds spots based on 2 with points of 28 or less

POL gets 2 spots based on 1 team entered in top 10

McNamara / Carpenter
Feb 18, 1999 / Feb 24, 1996

Parsons / Parsons
Nov 19, 1997 / Oct 3, 1995

Bent / McKeen
June 11, 1997 / Mar 23, 1994 He will be too old

Edwards / Pang
June 14, 1996 / March 5, 1995 She's too old

Kaliszek / Spodirev (already competing senior)
May 17, 1996 / Dec 12, 1993 Both too old

Abachkina / Thauron
Jan 26, 2000 / Aug 5, 1995

Moscheni / Lukacs (already competing senior)
May 23, 1996 / June 23, 1996 She's too old

Evdokimova / Bazin
Nov 27, 1996 / Sep 13, 1995

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
M/C's program is nothing to write home about (well the spin, yes...), but it was very well skated. Their team played the COP game, they played it safe, and they played it successfully. But it's obvious they have the skills to do something more adventurous. And I hope they do.

They are also young, age wise. They have been in juniors for a while, but, Lorraine is actually still only 16. Quinn is 19, same age as Anna and Alexandria. Thee certainly are precocious skill wise.

A silver medal is a nice way to end after a slow start. Lorraine grew quite a bit, which likely impacted things (and made their team decide to do something within their confort zone.)

But looking at past programs, they have done different things, especially in the SD side of things. I mean zombies! http://youtu.be/Iq5BuSlZKpQ

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
They are also young, age wise. They have been in juniors for a while, but, Lorraine is actually still only 16. Quinn is 19, same age as Anna and Alexandria. Thee certainly are precocious skill wise.

A silver medal is a nice way to end after a slow start. Lorraine grew quite a bit, which likely impacted things (and made their team decide to do something within their confort zone.)

But looking at past programs, they have done different things, especially in the SD side of things. I mean zombies! http://youtu.be/Iq5BuSlZKpQ

Well you know I haven't really followed the juniors. Just Worlds last year and this. And I'm superduperduper impressed by the level of talent and performance in all of the disciplines. I totally enjoyed the FD today.

As far as M/C, it is patently obvious they could do a more interesting program than, sigh, another POTO. Your explanation uhm explains alot! LOL! And yes, more zombies! Less Andrew Lloyd Webber. Much much much much much less ALW please. ;)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For that matter, African samba this year, (which if you check the SD thread, there were those that criticized them for that choice, despite African samba is the roots of the dance)
and
Jewish wedding last year. Rhythms: Quickstep or Quickstep plus one of the following Rhythms: Foxtrot, Charleston.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBQ1qhMte6s

M&C's hallmark has been doing the different. And they took a lot of criticism in the USA for the Jewish wedding for quickstep.

I suspect they wanted to go a bit more mainstream for this year when they wanted and were expected to win their first US Junior Championship.
In fact POTO is really their move into first adult program with man/woman interaction rather than Oh Those Cute Kids that was at all convincing, so in its own way, it was a challenge for them.

Clearly those saying M&C :drama: never do anything interesting or challenging either haven't followed these kids for as long as you and I have, Mrs. P, or are confusing them with some other USA team.

Myself, I found Y&M doing an Argentine Tango to be a less that adventuresome or interesting choice, but they should definitely have won.
In fact, I found it a rather Ye Olde Schooll Russian dance. Which is fine.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
For that matter, African samba this year, and
Jewish wedding last year. Rhythms: Quickstep or Quickstep plus one of the following Rhythms: Foxtrot, Charleston.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBQ1qhMte6s

M&C's hallmark has been doing the different. And they took a lot of criticism in the USA for the Jewish wedding for quickstep.

I suspect they wanted to go a bit more mainstream for the this year when they wanted their first US Junior Championship.
In fact POTO is really their move into first adult program with man/woman interaction that was at all convincing.

Clearly those saying M&C haven't followed these kids for as long as you and I have, Mrs. P.

Ah but I will follow them now Doris. :biggrin:

And I think, despite the nasty double fall, P/B from the US are worth watching. Same with K/S from Poland and N/N from Ukariane. Besides the medalists, those were the three teams which really stood out for me. YMMV of course!

ETA: Oh yes, I think Y/M's silver medal-winning FD from last year was far far more interesting than this year's tango. One could say they too played the COP game by going a safer, more traditional route. And for all that people on here kvetch when skaters do that, it quite often is a successful strategy.

Last edited: