2016 Four Continents: Feb 16 - 21, 2016 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 Four Continents: Feb 16 - 21, 2016

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
So this event makes $ how? sponsors? I dont get how its free.. its not like this is a small jr event no one competes in..

GF2445

Record Breaker
Everyone is saying that tickets are going fast. Does this mean more people will be there this year??

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So this event makes $ how? sponsors? I dont get how its free.. its not like this is a small jr event no one competes in..

Maybe they get a share of vendor sales in addition to the the TV rights. Hopefully there are lots of popcorn sales :laugh:

Last edited:

OniBan

Final Flight
Agree that it's just too early to make any prediction re. weather. Also, it depends on where you're from: if you're from the colder weather, you might find it warmer here, if from tropical, it can turn out to be colder.
So far it has been a warm winter weather here in Taiwan. Some other points to consider are:
1. it could possibly get colder around the time before/after Chinese lunar new year; PLUS -
2. when the harsh cold front does hit, compounding with RAIN, it CAN feel colder than the actual temperature measurement (so it's smart to always have the umbrella with you around). Also, the other thing is that we don't use heaters indoor, so sometimes you also need to dress warmly indoor.
3. the arena will, of course, be cold as expected

So for clothes, I'd recommend: dressing in layers, have a water-proof jacket, also better with water-proof shoes, should work for cold rainy Feb weather in Taiwan.

Adding places to visit (in Taipei): Taipei 101, night markets, 24-hr bookstores.....

Thank you for the tips cohkaix and largeman!
Will try to hit those places you guys mentioned if time permits.
Definitely looking forward to the night markets. I heard that Taipei is famous (among other things) for their fabulous food.

Will one be able to get by with minimal knowledge in Mandarin? I'm trying to learn some basic phrases at the moment, but am wondering if there are signage/ instructions at the train/ bus stations/ in general are in English, or at least Pinyin? I kept having this nightmarish mental image of getting on the train and not knowing where to stop because I can't read the signs/ can't understand the names :sad4:

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I was in Taipei for 2011 4CC. It's a fabulous place. I can only say Good Day and Thank You in Mandarin and got along just fine. All metro signs (and much else in the city) is in English and Mandarin. You can also find English speakers. Have no fear, it will be great. Loved it so much, I'll be back this year :) .

OniBan

Final Flight
I was in Taipei for 2011 4CC. It's a fabulous place. I can only say Good Day and Thank You in Mandarin and got along just fine. All metro signs (and much else in the city) is in English and Mandarin. You can also find English speakers. Have no fear, it will be great. Loved it so much, I'll be back this year :) .

that great to hear. Thanks for sharing your experience!
I'm looking forward to the event (and hopefully meeting some Goldenskaters there too XD)

OniBan

Final Flight
So an interesting thing happened - there's an announcement on the official 4CC Taipei facebook that there's seats open for sale through booked tours via a booking agent? that also seemed to be exclusively open for Japanese. I went to the website and it's all in Japanese, so had to make some guesswork here and there - apparently you can book for hotel + tickets etc for the competition. I guess maybe this is how the organizers got their money - through tourism collaboration?

There's also comments on the page where people were saying that long seats (with better vantage point) are reserved for the such booked tours, while those booked online will be seated on the short seats (the short ends of the rink). Interesting. Will find out when I'm there :)

icheow

Spectator
I hope you'll get the tickets you want! ^_^

Out of curiosity, who else is flying in from out of Taiwan to attend this? :) I'm coming in from Malaysia.

It is exciting to know that someone from Malaysia will be flying in to watch. Please support Julian Yee, the only Malaysian skater competing. Thank you !

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Just caught this news from twitter--
(Found the source of the news release):
http://www.gov.taipei/ct.asp?xItem=156451169&ctNode=5158&mp=100001

Summary: starting from tomorrow (Feb 3) @ 10am, there will be free 4CC tickets releasing for ppl to pick up. The ticket requesting is limited to 2 tickets/each competition/per person. ID is required when requesting tickets. The location of tickets picking up is @ Taipei Arena.

This is more likely for local audiences, though.

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm flying in from New York City. The reverse of all the wonderful fans from Asia who travel to North America to attend events :)

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Just caught this news from twitter--
(Found the source of the news release):
http://www.gov.taipei/ct.asp?xItem=156451169&ctNode=5158&mp=100001

Summary: starting from tomorrow (Feb 3) @ 10am, there will be free 4CC tickets releasing for ppl to pick up. The ticket requesting is limited to 2 tickets/each competition/per person. ID is required when requesting tickets. The location of tickets picking up is @ Taipei Arena.

This is more likely for local audiences, though.

NB: based on other local news reports, this portion of tickets has been distributed from the 4CC organizer to Taipei City government for the charity purpose. About 10% of the total tickets was under distribution (read from somewhere else that those were about 1000 tickets for each SP/FS/SD/FD competition to be picked up). Hence this is not from the same source as the online ticket requesting system operated by the 4CC organizer.

OniBan

Final Flight
It is exciting to know that someone from Malaysia will be flying in to watch. Please support Julian Yee, the only Malaysian skater competing. Thank you !

I plan to do so, Icheow! will wave a flag for him :cheer:

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Here is a random fun fact. In the 4CC Ice Dance category only Canada and USA have ever been on the podium. Any surprise calls for that to change this year? I personally don't see that happening.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Here is a random fun fact. In the 4CC Ice Dance category only Canada and USA have ever been on the podium. Any surprise calls for that to change this year? I personally don't see that happening.

No. But there is a decent chance that someone else (I'm thinking Kim & Minov) might crack the top six.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
No. But there is a decent chance that someone else (I'm thinking Kim & Minov) might crack the top six.

speaking of top 6.. ok well on a few occasions other countries cracked the top 6 at 4CC. By other countries I mean China mainly and Japan.

6th Weina ZHANG / Xianming CAO CHN 2001
4th Nozomi WATANABE / Akiyuki KIDO JPN 2005
4th Xintong HUANG / Xun ZHENG CHN 2009
6th Xintong HUANG / Xun ZHENG CHN 2011

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
speaking of top 6.. ok well on a few occasions other countries cracked the top 6 at 4CC. By other countries I mean China mainly and Japan.

Yes, it doesn't happen often. And if Kim & Minov can do it, it will be a step in the right direction for them. (No history of successful dance teams in their country. No home country judge. No host country JGP. They didn't qualify for the FD at Worlds last season. But Korea has some potential, both in K&M and in their young team. K&M finished sixth at the 2014 Junior Worlds and have the highest Senior World ranking outside the likely top 5 at 4CC's. They've had an awful time having to change their SD music several times this season, but they did manage to defeat a European team at Rostelecom, which is more than most of these other teams managed to pull off at a Grand Prix). However, the competition at SC was very tough this season so even dead last there, P&O may have the upper hand when one takes into account their surprise placement at SA last season. The Chinese team of Wang & Liu defeated K&M at Worlds so they also have a shot, but they lost to their teammates at Cup of China so . . . either both or neither may have a chance of defeating K&M. Reed & Muramoto are brand new, but Chris has name recognition and she is actually quite a gem personality-wise.

Sixth will probably be P&O, but . . . quite a few teams here would celebrate that sixth place finish if they could grab it.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So Gabby Daleman and Seguin/Bilodeau are out of 4CC

https://twitter.com/icenetwork/status/697881040048758786

Anyone want to translate "Precautionary Reasons" from Canadian euphemism into cynically blunt?

The non-cynical explanation is that Daleman and Seguin have minor injuries, per Skate Canada.

And Daleman and S/B still are scheduled to compete at Worlds, per Skate Canada.

.... “These decisions have been made for precautionary reasons as we progress towards the world championships,” said Mike Slipchuk, Skate Canada’s Director, High Performance. “We are focused on allowing our athletes to return to competition in prime condition.” ....

http://skatecanada.ca/2016/02/gabri...four-continents-figure-skating-championships/ (Feb 11)

Mallet and Grenier/Deschamps are their replacements for Four Continents.

Last edited: