Nagasu taking lessons with Mishin in CO | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Nagasu taking lessons with Mishin in CO

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, he can first show her what is wrong first - after all, being able to explain what is going wrong is part of great choach skillset

Yes, but she has to be able to FEEL it for herself. If she's doing jumps and landing them and going, "That's fine", and she's under...how can you fix that, when she can't even identify that she's short?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see how this could hurt anything. I can speak from personal experience in saying I've received even verbal pointers from random people that I still apply today. Most of which are body awareness and use of momentum. Sometimes people have a way of painting images in your brain that for some reason go from uncertain to clear as day.

I wouldn't expect a miracle but every word Mishin says can be used as a tool. I don't think it will harm her in any way.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yes, but she has to be able to FEEL it for herself. If she's doing jumps and landing them and going, "That's fine", and she's under...how can you fix that, when she can't even identify that she's short?
Can you feel when you jump short? Especially in competition when your mind is constantly stressed and you're more focused on not falling. It's not an issue you can solve in one season.
If Mirai is willing to learn from the great master, good for her. If she is resilient enough, she can do good things. That's it.

samm22

On the Ice
Mishin is the best jumps coach in the world, but I question how much he can do for a skater who doesn't even seem to be aware of what is wrong.

I have said it before, but I'll say it again - Mirai's shocked face every time the TES comes up says to me that she doesn't feel her URs. She doesn't identify that she's doing it wrong. How can Mishin fix a skater who doesn't even know they're not rotating?

Now, if he's going to work with some Zakrasjek skaters, I wouldn't mind seeing him tidy up Max's air position a little.

I don't think that she is not aware...we can only make assumptions as to what she is thinking...If she is willing to work at the technique, good for her! Isn't that why she moved to Tom Z in the first place? Give her a chance!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I agree with samm22. I wish her well and we all know what has been said in the press in the past about her being a handful and maybe not working as hard as she should. Not sayin' that's all true or not true but people can change their attitudes at her age. I know I certainly did when I was her age and things worked out well for me because I changed my attitude. I really don't care where she ends up on the podium...I just want her to do the best she can. (And I want Gracie to control her nerves....:)) The best comps I have seen are where many skaters do well and the judges fight it out.
You go, Mirai....
I don't think that she is not aware...we can only make assumptions as to what she is thinking...If she is willing to work at the technique, good for her! Isn't that why she moved to Tom Z in the first place? Give her a chance!

LRK

Record Breaker
I don't see how this could hurt anything. I can speak from personal experience in saying I've received even verbal pointers from random people that I still apply today. Most of which are body awareness and use of momentum. Sometimes people have a way of painting images in your brain that for some reason go from uncertain to clear as day.

I wouldn't expect a miracle but every word Mishin says can be used as a tool. I don't think it will harm her in any way.

Yes, it can only do her good, and can do her no harm - so, as long as one does not expect miracle cures overnight, I don't see why one would not regard this as a positive thing.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
While I think that Mirai learning from Mishin about her jumps is a very good idea, I really doubt that a week is long enough for her to be able to correct the basic faults in her skating (= UR). It´s unfortunate that her early coaches have not handled the matter effectively enough.

Last edited:

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
While I think that Mirai learning from Mishin about her jumps is a very good idea, I really doubt that a week is long enough for her to be able to correct the basic faults in her skating (= UR). It´s unfortunate that her early coaches have not handled the matter effectively enough.

I think Mirai's days of international success are behind her. I hope that working with Mishin is invigorating and she's learning new things and is happy with her skating. Sure, anything is possible, but I don't see this being a game changer for her. She's a fan favorite so I know a lot of people want to see her at peak form again, but I'd just like to see her at a place where she is happy with her life and how she is skating.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think if anyone can get her competitive and focused, it's him. She also seems to do well when she focuses on the jump elements, and Mishin's programs tend to be heavily focused on successful jump elements ... often there will be a strong footwork sequence at the end to make up for the stripped down content because the skater is focusing on jump elements. For her, it's a confidence issue and seeing Liza can inspire anyone to make a come back.

I still think Mirai has competitiveness in her. She needs to turn her new body into strong elements like Liza did. The US is starting to get saturated with talented skaters and Mirai can get left behind if she doesn't make a strong move. Unfortunately it seems he isn't going to be working with her for very long.

samm22

On the Ice
I think if anyone can get her competitive and focused, it's him. She also seems to do well when she focuses on the jump elements, and Mishin's programs tend to be heavily focused on successful jump elements ... often there will be a strong footwork sequence at the end to make up for the stripped down content because the skater is focusing on jump elements. For her, it's a confidence issue and seeing Liza can inspire anyone to make a come back.

I still think Mirai has competitiveness in her. She needs to turn her new body into strong elements like Liza did. The US is starting to get saturated with talented skaters and Mirai can get left behind if she doesn't make a strong move. Unfortunately it seems he isn't going to be working with her for very long.

sometimes, it's just the inspiration that can move a skater up...I'm excited to see what Mirai can accomplish for next season, I wouldn't put a comeback behind her...

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Can you feel when you jump short? Especially in competition when your mind is constantly stressed and you're more focused on not falling. It's not an issue you can solve in one season.
If Mirai is willing to learn from the great master, good for her. If she is resilient enough, she can do good things. That's it.

I am able to do just double jumps but I can feel when I underrotate. Sometimes when it is less then one quarter I don't feel it but when it is more than one quarter I can definitely feel it. But maybe it is different with triples or she simply doesn't feel it. But you are right about the competitions.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
Yasss gworl.

Her only real competition is herself. Not Ashley, not Gracie, not Polina. It doesn't matter what the other girls do on the ice. She can't control their performances. Unless she pulls a Tonya.

I hope Mirai fixes the UR issues and learns some grit.

slider11

Medalist
Well said, daphenaxa! I am a big Mirai fan but she needs to focus on those jumps and get them solid. I still hope she sticks with Tom Z as her main coach but it's good that he's supportive of her consulting with Mishin. My guess is Mirai will get one Grand Prix assignment. Before that she will have to focus on those B events that will give her notice IF she performs well. I'm rooting for you, Mirai!

LRK

Record Breaker
Yasss gworl.

Her only real competition is herself. Not Ashley, not Gracie, not Polina. It doesn't matter what the other girls do on the ice. She can't control their performances. Unless she pulls a Tonya.

I hope Mirai fixes the UR issues and learns some grit.

That's the Mishin Way.:yes: How did he put it? "You can only lose to yourself", I think.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
That's the Mishin Way.:yes: How did he put it? "You can only lose to yourself", I think.

That's Mirai's number one issue. The one thing that holds her back from skating freely. I believe in her. She's determined:)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Maybe he is good at teaching people how to feel jumps better. I don't mean that snarky, but I do think that is something some coaches may be better at then others. Mishin may very well have tricks to helping skaters feel things like this better.

Even if Mirai's 3A is very UR, I would still love to see her and Liza do one side by side.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
I looked at the tweet again. Mirai needs to do something about that hair.

It's as if she doesn't want PCS.

=) I too would like to see SBS triple axels from Mirai and Tukt.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Her UR issue seems to be a problem with nerves and not technique, so I'm not sure how a jump coach is going to help. Even before her hard fall at Nationals, she had a couple of < in her LP.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure if I completely agree he can't help her mental issues. I'm basically just saying that if someone like Mishin told me I capable and my technique will be enough to get me through then I'd be inclined to believe it.

If in working with Mishin he finds positives to reinforce and perhaps offers some subtle advice she might be able to quite the voice of doubt in her head. In fact it may help to build her confidence. Then again it could easily be a useless excercise in futility but I hope that she can gain something from this.

If nothing else when and if she turns to coaching she can always say she's worked with the Professor of Jumps to solidify her resume.