Nagasu taking lessons with Mishin in CO | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Nagasu taking lessons with Mishin in CO

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I am a little sad at this thread.

This pic was clearly intended by TomZ as showing warmth and support of Mirai, what on Earth is wrong with that! We don't know if Mirai even wanted the pic sent out, she did not send it, her coach did.

Not everything needs an academia level of analysis of the meaning behind it. Sometimes it is just a cute pic from her coach. I think it was just TomZ using social media to try to give Mirai a boost and encouragement, let's just leave it there and leave it as a cute pic. I for one am enjoying Mishin in these pics. As Chase Belmontes said his smile is infections.

I know TomZ is not everyone's favorite coach, but he clearly is very supportive of Mirai, and does seem to genuinely want to help her grow.

slider11

Medalist
I see Mirai as a late bloomer! That's pretty strange for a little girl who won Nationals at what 13 or 14! So she had this spurt of greatness early but the momentum stalled. 4th at the Olympics then disappointing skates. Third at Nationals but kept out of the next Olympics! What drama! Mirai definitely lacked the mental maturity to evolve at a steady pace. She was a mama's girl who didn't want to leave home. She seemed to have the skills and then froze at competition. But I see sparks of what she lacked before - determination, perseverance, hard work! I think Tom Z is the right coach for her with his confidence to farm out his students to others and get the skills they need. C'mon Mirai!

LRK

Record Breaker
If I were her I'd find something else to do, but that particular statement was in response to the comment was that continuing on is harmless. From the perspective of finance, health, and opportunity cost, continuing a career in Mirai's position does require acknowledging those things. Skating at this level isn't simply a hobby, but something that requires commitment which prevents a person from pursuing anything else. I've read on these boards that she's improving, that she's clearly the 3rd best American, etc. and if she were to read these boards she should know that not everyone agrees.

No, it was in response to my comment: "Again, what harm is it going to do?" which was meant in connection with Mirai's working with Mishin, which I thought would be pretty obvious, since, after all, that is the matter at hand, not Mirai's skating career as a whole. As such, I thought your reply was pretty excessive - it would be like saying "Isn't it a fine day?", and in response getting a tirade about global warming, polar bears and melting ice caps. Not in proportion, simply put.

Unlike you, I don't consider myself qualified to judge of others what they should or should not do with their lives, and therefore am not going to discuss that subject at all. I'll support a skater if they want to go on - and also if they want to quit. It's their life, and it's not for me to say what they should do with it.

Last edited:

kalle

On the Ice

This pic was clearly intended by TomZ as showing warmth and support of Mirai, what on Earth is wrong with that! We don't know if Mirai even wanted the pic sent out, she did not send it, her coach did.

Not everything needs an academia level of analysis of the meaning behind it. Sometimes it is just a cute pic from her coach. I think it was just TomZ using social media to try to give Mirai a boost and encouragement, let's just leave it there and leave it as a cute pic. I for one am enjoying Mishin in these pics. As Chase Belmontes said his smile is infections.

I know TomZ is not everyone's favorite coach, but he clearly is very supportive of Mirai, and does seem to genuinely want to help her grow.

Spot on..very well said.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Never fails to surprise me how many eternal optimists there are on this board.

Optimists? The only posts on this thread that have made predictions about Mirai's future are the ones that say she is finished.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
No, it was in response to my comment: "Again, what harm is it going to do?" which was meant in connection with Mirai's working with Mishin, which I thought would be pretty obvious, since, after all, that is the matter at hand, not Mirai's skating career as a whole. As such, I thought your reply was pretty excessive - it would be like saying "Isn't it a fine day?", and in response getting a tirade about global warming, polar bears and melting ice caps. Not in proportion, simply put.
Did you happen to run across me on a bad day? :slink: :laugh:

More on topic: Seriously, what's the problem here? No one's saying Mirai's going to get a 3A and fully rotated jumps overnight. But maybe some time with Mishin could help her move in that direction. Maybe it won't be enough, but yes, what harm can it do?

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Did you happen to run across me on a bad day? :slink: :laugh: More on topic: Seriously, what's the problem here? No one's saying Mirai's going to get a 3A and fully rotated jumps overnight. But maybe some time with Mishin could help her move in that direction. Maybe it won't be enough, but yes, what harm can it do?

This was my point in posting this thread lol. I think it's great she is taking a lesson or two from him during their time here. I look at her time with Mishin and Liza as a positive and I love the fact she was inspired by Tuk.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One difference between Liza and Mirai is that Liza's struggles were immediately post-puberty; Liza had her 'revival' season at 17, but she was working on it in the years leading up to that. It is much easier to change skating habits in the teen years than it is at 22. The other major difference is that Liza's basic skating was always solid---she didn't flutz or lip, and wasn't prone to URs.

Celine

On the Ice

Well said. I agree.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
One difference between Liza and Mirai is that Liza's struggles were immediately post-puberty; Liza had her 'revival' season at 17, but she was working on it in the years leading up to that. It is much easier to change skating habits in the teen years than it is at 22. The other major difference is that Liza's basic skating was always solid---she didn't flutz or lip, and wasn't prone to URs.

I do agree with this. Liza started struggling in the 2012-2013 season but she still had better results than a typical Mirai season that year - 4th and 2nd at her GPs, 5th at the GPF, winning nationals, 3rd at Europeans, 10th at Worlds. It was far from Liza's best, but she still managed to do pretty well considering all she was going through. So she was really off her game for just 1 season and made a very impressive comeback directly following that season. I would agree it's easier to bounce back while still a teenager and before everyone has really written you off. For Mirai, she's been off her 2010 level for about 5 years now, but what makes it harder to predict with her is that she's had high and low points during each of these seasons, glimmers that she can still be a force against the top guns (2011 4CCs, 2011 CoC, 2013 NHK, 2014 Nationals, 2015 SP at Nationals), only for her to revert to poor form in competitions that follow, so it's hard to detect any real trajectory with her, the peak was at 2010 Olympics, but since then it's been a bit of a sinusoidal curve for her and it's hard to tell what comes next.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Never fails to surprise me how many eternal optimists there are on this board.

Really. I feel just the opposite. I find a lot more snarky comments overall than optimistic comments regarding
skaters and just not in this thread.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
I(2011 4CCs, 2011 CoC, 2013 NHK, 2014 Nationals, 2015 SP at Nationals
Of this list, only 4CC in 2011 had no UR or DG jumps, IIRC. The other performances weren't lights out, oh em gee types of performances but rather she skated the best of the rest and ended up on the podium rather than skated like she belonged there. I am not the biggest supporter of Ashley Wagner, but if you think that if Wagner had laid down a half way decent long program at 2014 Nationals that she wouldn't have surpassed Nagasu, deservedly, mind you, then you are fooling youselves.
I wouldn't point to a couple of GP medals in some less than stellar fields, the 2014 National bronze medal or her SP in 2015 that was, again, the best of the rest because there was some really sloppy skating below her, and say she's shown "good form" in competitions. Each of these competitions had the same types of mistakes - UR jumps and adequate at best interpretation and skating skills.
I am not saying that she should hang up her skates, it's her decision when she decides to do that once and for all, but I wouldn't (and won't) hold my breath that she's going to be a late bloomer that can suddenly rotate all her jumps and regain that form from before her filling out phase and skate heartfelt programs with personality.
If Mishin provides her the help she needs, great. I will be happy to cheer her on.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't see why people keep criticizing Mirai. If she wants to continue competing, that's her business. We all know the USFS does not do her any favors, but even with her URs and edge issues, she continues to score well enough to earn international assignments. And she is making improvements. Even if the URs continue to be an issue and she never makes another World or Olympic team, does it really matter? 2 or 3 girls in the US make the World/Olympics team each year, does that mean everyone else should just give up and quit? ... She's still a good skater and clearly likes to skate so maybe she's doing it for herself.

Agree :agree:.

... I don't understand the excessive and energetic negativity, to be honest. .....

Agree. I don't understand the negativity either.

... if she were to read these boards she should know that not everyone agrees.

Why should she care what some random stranger on a skating forum thinks about what she wants to do with her life?

Agree with gallavich.

Agree.
Thanks to Stitch, silverlake, LRK, and gallavich (and others of like mind in this thread).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
For Mirai, she's been off her 2010 level for about 5 years now, but what makes it harder to predict with her is that she's had high and low points during each of these seasons, glimmers that she can still be a force against the top guns (2011 4CCs, 2011 CoC, 2013 NHK, 2014 Nationals, 2015 SP at Nationals), only for her to revert to poor form in competitions that follow, so it's hard to detect any real trajectory with her, the peak was at 2010 Olympics, but since then it's been a bit of a sinusoidal curve for her and it's hard to tell what comes next.

Being realistic here, to say "it's hard to tell what comes next" is not exactly right. Likely she will have a few bad competitions and fans will blame it on illness, or a coaching situation, or a minor injury. Then she will bomb one of, if not both of, her programs at 2016 Nationals. This isn't negative; it is what has happened virtually every season in the last 5 years. I'm not sure why people are criticizing posters who don't believe that skating a few sessions with Liza and Mishin more than five months before the GP season begins is going to be the spark that is going to turn everything around for her. Again, looking at five years of a trend and thinking that the trend will continue isn't negative.