Shoma Uno | Page 227 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I could be confusing this with something else, but at around 2:34 I'm pretty sure you hear Shoma say the word "steps". I think they ask Shoma what he thought of Uncle Dai's performance and he said it was good (does he say jumps?) but he says he screwed up on the steps! That was why everyone laughed. Hey, ask a kid an honest question and you get an honest answer!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
It's at the very end. Wow, he really does say "subscribe". We'll have to add it to his vocabulary list! After the extended stays he has had in the U.S. along with all the contact he has now with people who speak English, I have to believe he is learning a little. At Boston Worlds, there was a video where people were saying "Hi" to him, and he had this puzzled look like he didn't even know what that meant...Keiji got all tongue tied when he tried to say subscribe. Honestly, they are SO cute!:laugh2:

I read some interview that was way old about Shoma's mp3 player or something where he said he's been listening to english lessons and is trying to improve. So, even if he pretends to not get it, I think if someone says hi or hello, he definitely knows what's up. He just seems a bit lost in his own world perhaps and has that look in his eyes that makes it seem like he doesn't get it. Even when it's japanese, he's not always listening/paying attention. :) I think his subscribe was pretty good. Keiji had more problems, haha.

Gosh I can't believe I watched that whole video of Martinez. He didn't even know what a Moomin is! Argh! j/k

And gosh, your dream is great. I dreamed of Daisuke before, but not of Shoma yet. Who knows, might happen soon. A nice dream of him winning the Olympics or eating Strawberry Cake....

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I could be confusing this with something else, but at around 2:37 I'm pretty sure you hear Shoma say the word "steps". I think they ask Shoma what he thought of Uncle Dai's performance and he said it was good (does he say jumps?) but he says he screwed up on the steps! That was why everyone laughed. Hey, ask a kid an honest question and you get an honest answer!

It's from 2011 Challenge Cup (the one I linked to in the Bow gif). I don't know why they don't do this anymore, but it had a red team and a blue team competing against each other. That year had smol Shoma in a team with his idol (Yuzuru was also in the red team)....there is a gif of that exchange, Shoma's pretty honest, considering he sits next to his idol Dai-chan!

I think it was around that time that I saw Shoma for the first time and was kind of weirded out...because he was so small. *LOL* Pretty weird to look back on it now, that I love him so much, but I didn't understand him back then..haha.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And gosh, your dream is great. I dreamed of Daisuke before, but not of Shoma yet. Who knows, might happen soon. A nice dream of him winning the Olympics or eating Strawberry Cake....

Next I'll have a nightmare of my favorite little carnivore consuming some 2 pound / 1 kilo slab of beef with chopsticks. Oh horrors!

He absolutely has the ability to go into his own little world. When he was at Glacier in Dec., the day we were there watching him, the Girl Scouts were having an event, and the lobby was packed. We were all in the lobby; he didn't have his skates on. There were Girl Scouts everywhere and the lobby was total chaos. Of course I never took my eyes off of him, and I watched him very quietly open up his skate case, take out his music and yoga type mat, and he started stretching (sigh). I'll bet if there had been an earthquake, he would have continued to stretch. His focus and the fact that he didn't waste time just sitting there were amazing.

Edit -- Couldn't resist a photo when he took a break from stretching. Have posted this before but it's so cute! https://pic.twitter.com/VadCzCck4o

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I could be confusing this with something else, but at around 2:34 I'm pretty sure you hear Shoma say the word "steps". I think they ask Shoma what he thought of Uncle Dai's performance and he said it was good (does he say jumps?) but he says he screwed up on the steps! That was why everyone laughed. Hey, ask a kid an honest question and you get an honest answer!

Nope, you're not confusing it! :) It's from Japan Super Challenge 2010, a discontinued fun competition where skaters were allocated to either "team blue" or "team red", skating their exhibition numbers. The winning team would be determined through a combination of audience vote and a jury's verdict. Shoma's answer was so "scandalous", because he was on the same team as Daisuke. :biggrin:

http://shoma-uno.tumblr.com/post/82325505085/uno-senshu-what-did-you-think-of

And there is a translated version of that talk between Nobu, Akko, Mao and Dai at SOI 2016 somewhere, just can't find it at the moment...

Edit: MaiKatze was faster!!! :laugh:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nope, you're not confusing it! :) It's from Japan Super Challenge 2010, a discontinued fun competition where skaters were allocated to either "team blue" or "team red", skating their exhibition numbers. The winning team would be determined through a combination of audience vote and a jury's verdict. Shoma's answer was so "scandalous", because he was on the same team as Daisuke. :biggrin:

OMG - That's pretty bad when your own teammate gives you that critique!!! :rofl:...New avatar! NICE!!!!:rock:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

I have no life.....:slink:

Anyway, that talk is exactly like I feel about Shoma. Like he became a different person to me. I watched these competitions and Shoma skated in them and I honestly asked myself why they were hyping this kid so much. I didn't get it at all. :eek:: I think they all see him as that kid, and if you know someone since they were a child it's almost impossible to see them as anything but a little brother. I think Yuzuru sees Shoma as that, too. They have that kind of history - which is why that treatment continues on to this day.

Ohh...I'll miss Yoshitsune Dai...*sniff*

OnlyUno

Rinkside
I read some interview that was way old about Shoma's mp3 player or something where he said he's been listening to english lessons and is trying to improve. So, even if he pretends to not get it, I think if someone says hi or hello, he definitely knows what's up.

there's a thing about language tapes, i used one before i went to Italy. but I'd gasp every time a "real" Italian person said something, and they were saying the simplest things I'd learned on the tape. you just get used to the exact way, voice, tempo that the tape uses and can't understand the native speaker saying the same things. (i'm that way with Japanese too. native speakers speak faster than you're prepared to hear as well) OR Shoma's just surprised someone's saying hi to him?

As for a dream, I want this one to be real!!

OnlyUno

Rinkside

And there is a translated version of that talk between Nobu, Akko, Mao and Dai at SOI 2016 somewhere, just can't find it at the moment...

He's a sweet child too, because i think he said that even though there was a small misstep, wasn't it great none-the-less! like a real worshipper

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
He's a sweet child too, because i think he said that even though there was a small misstep, wasn't it great none-the-less! like a real worshipper

It was an answer from a skating nerd who spent his free time watching Daisuke videos. Very much the expert. And young enough to be straightforward about it, too. It's good to have that kind of critical thinking, hehe...

Kanna

On the Ice

Ok, let me translate the video for you & all here.

Sho 'how's this skating season?'
Sat 'great'
Rik '..r u sure?'(E~!means sure?)
Sho 'taking the opportunity...how's yours?'
Rik 'opportunity?! so so'
Rik&Sat 'thanks'
TV 'Shoma's now a interviewer using our camera to record them'
Sho 'hey, I'm recording you, how's the taste? I expect good reaction & comment from you'
Rik 'hahaha just normal miso soup..'
Sho 'yummy?'
Rik 'yep yummy'
TV 'even Rika's older than him, he made her laugh friendly'
Sho 'someone wants vegi? here we go pls'
TV 'oh Shoma's such kind&gentle?'
Sat 'no, he just hates vegi, always doing this...'
TV 'he's 18y.o., loves meat anyway'
-Next Oda, Akiko, Dai, Mao talk
Oda 'Shoma was such a tiny boy'
Dai 'I know, now he's not such, it's a big surprise'
Oda 'he developed himself at World Championship, u think so?'
Dai 'still remember his voice's so high and called me like Dai chan! when he's a kid. after I retired active skater, he's remarkably changed. even I see him sometimes now, realize he's not a kid anymore'
Aki 'he's doing great in interview & talk, too'
Oda 'Mao, you know him so much'
Mao 'he's changed a lot, surprised'
Oda&Mao 'Mao met him since he started figure skating'
Mao 'remember the first day when he visited the rink..ahh'
Aki 'you went world champ trophy with such him together, you know'
Mao 'ah, can't believe, sucha tiny boy became big now'
Oda 'Maybe Oly too? exciting huh?'
Mao 'yeah of course'
-Old Video shown abt Dai's skating
Sho 'he's good at jump&step, I found he stumbled a bit, but overall good'
- all laughed
TV 'Age's not the matter, all're like a big family & also good skaters'
Mik 'not cold? ok?'
Mik 'Sho-ma-?? isn't it yours?'
-END

Latremu

Final Flight
Ok, let me translate the video for you & all here.

Sho 'how's this skating season?'
Sat 'great'
Rik '..r u sure?'(E~!means sure?)
Sho 'taking the opportunity...how's yours?'
Rik 'opportunity?! so so'
Rik&Sat 'thanks'
TV 'Shoma's now a interviewer using our camera to record them'
Sho 'hey, I'm recording you, how's the taste? I expect good reaction & comment from you'
Rik 'hahaha just normal miso soup..'
Sho 'yummy?'
Rik 'yep yummy'
TV 'even Rika's older than him, he made her laugh friendly'
Sho 'someone wants vegi? here we go pls'
TV 'oh Shoma's such kind&gentle?'
Sat 'no, he just hates vegi, always doing this...'
TV 'he's 18y.o., loves meat anyway'
-Next Oda, Akiko, Dai, Mao talk
Oda 'Shoma was such a tiny boy'
Dai 'I know, now he's not such, it's a big surprise'
Oda 'he developed himself at World Championship, u think so?'
Dai 'still remember his voice's so high and called me like Dai chan! when he's a kid. after I retired active skater, he's remarkably changed. even I see him sometimes now, realize he's not a kid anymore'
Aki 'he's doing great in interview & talk, too'
Oda 'Mao, you know him so much'
Mao 'he's changed a lot, surprised'
Oda&Mao 'Mao met him since he started figure skating'
Mao 'remember the first day when he visited the rink..ahh'
Aki 'you went world champ trophy with such him together, you know'
Mao 'ah, can't believe, sucha tiny boy became big now'
Oda 'Maybe Oly too? exciting huh?'
Mao 'yeah of course'
-Old Video shown abt Dai's skating
Sho 'he's good at jump&step, I found he stumbled a bit, but overall good'
- all laughed
TV 'Age's not the matter, all're like a big family & also good skaters'
Mik 'not cold? ok?'
Mik 'Sho-ma-?? isn't it yours?'
-END

I love you all! So amazing! Thank you for the all the attempted translations from memory as well as the actual translation! You're all so cool!! The skaters must've felt disoriented with this previously little kid being such a competitive skater in the senior now.

Didn't you watch Fantasy on Ice in Niigata, Kana? I hope you enjoyed!

OnlyUno and Hronop, yep, that vlog was by Michael Christian Martinez. Aside from the "subscribe", Shoma stroking Michael's flashy gold tie was so cute! Also funny how when Michael saw Shoma, he got a look in his eyes, as if to say to his followers "Look! There's a treat for you!" I think he did a pretty good job with saying "subscribe" while Keiji got all tongue-tied. Michael could get a job in advertising, he knew Shoma would be the highlight of that vlog, so he had him in the thumbnail as well as the title of the video. 😆

Latremu

Final Flight

Thank you for the information! I'm curious as to why they discontinued it, it looked like a chill and fun competition. Of course these days, Shoma and Yuzuru probably wouldn't be on the same team. Doing so would be unfair to the other team.

Competing with their exhibition programs is a great concept. Some of them have so many to choose from! So basically they can do anything on the ice and aren't constrained by rules? The cantilever spread alone would win Shoma a lot of points! Let's petition to bring back the Japan Super Challenge!! (Just kidding! Well, at least half-seriously, haha.)

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did it. Broke down and bought my Worlds tickets. Only 278 days! Oh guys, I hope I don't regret this. I figure the only way Shomita won't go is if he's immobile (heaven forbid). I would assume that he and Yuzu have to go to get 3 spots -- or is that done through the Olympics? or? I'm confused. :roll9:

OnlyUno

Rinkside
It was an answer from a skating nerd who spent his free time watching Daisuke videos. Very much the expert. And young enough to be straightforward about it, too. It's good to have that kind of critical thinking, hehe...

isn’t that so true. you know, i bet all podium finishers were like that as children!

OnlyUno

Rinkside
I love you all! So amazing! Thank you for the all the attempted translations from memory as well as the actual translation! You're all so cool!! The skaters must've felt disoriented with this previously little kid being such a competitive skater in the senior now.

Didn't you watch Fantasy on Ice in Niigata, Kana? I hope you enjoyed!

OnlyUno and Hronop, yep, that vlog was by Michael Christian Martinez. Aside from the "subscribe", Shoma stroking Michael's flashy gold tie was so cute! Also funny how when Michael saw Shoma, he got a look in his eyes, as if to say to his followers "Look! There's a treat for you!" I think he did a pretty good job with saying "subscribe" while Keiji got all tongue-tied. Michael could get a job in advertising, he knew Shoma would be the highlight of that vlog, so he had him in the thumbnail as well as the title of the video. 😆

…just love how Micheal Christian’s roommates care about him back stateside…alas he did not seem to have had a moomin in his childhood, lol

OnlyUno

Rinkside
Did it. Broke down and bought my Worlds tickets. Only 278 days! Oh guys, I hope I don't regret this. I figure the only way Shomita won't go is if he's immobile (heaven forbid). I would assume that he and Yuzu have to go to get 3 spots -- or is that done through the Olympics? or? I'm confused. :roll9:

i wasn’t into fs for the last olympics, it’s a good question! (but i don’t doubt at all you’ll have a wonderful time)

Winnie_20

Record Breaker

Pretty very much sure it's through Worlds, as it was with previous years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_World_Figure_Skating_Championships ("The event also determined the number of entries a country may send to the 2015 World Championships."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_World_Figure_Skating_Championships (subheader Qualification, "Based on the results of the 2010 World Figure Skating Championships, each country was allowed between one and three entries per discipline")

Which, of course, is why many people assume Yuzuru Hanyu will also (be made to?) attend.

I mean, if Worlds 2019 were not in Japan, it maybe wouldn't be such a big deal, but I personally cannot see the Japanese federation be very happy if their two star skaters decide not to show up in Milan, leaving them with just one spot for 2019.

So, yeah... But I'm an eternal optimist (hey, it worked out splendidly for the 1,2,3 podium at Worlds 2017!). It's easier for me, though, I adore the both of them to bits, so I'm more likely to get at least 50 % of what I want. ;-)