Music you bought because skaters you like skate to it | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Music you bought because skaters you like skate to it

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have the haunting violin that broke my heart in Sochi as my alarm tone...

I have purchased three of Edvin Marton's albums as a direct result of Plushy. I don't think I have any others that are directly attributable to a specific skater, but I have purchased soundtrack music with the possibility of it being skated to in mind.

I tried sending you a private message but it said your inbox was full.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I tried sending you a private message but it said your inbox was full.

I have cleared some space.

OT but I hate how the software sends you like, four emails. All right, all right, I know it's full, stop sending me emails :laugh:

edenlover

On the Ice
I bought the sound track from East of Eden--the miniseries--after watching MIchelle's Skate.

I purchased Totentanz after Irina and Michelle's use of the music.

I became a fan of Maxim after Johnny Weir's skates to his music, as well as Maria B's skate to OTONAL.

I purchased DiBlasio's CD because of the beautiful skate to "On the Day When You Loved Me" (I think it's called) by the Russian pair who won the 96 world championships (I'll think of their names later). They were Eltsova and Bushkov.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKi-QIiQ8Kw

Another of the many cd's purchased was one of Placido Domingo's, which has the vocal version of East of Eden that Underhill and Martini skated to at the World Pro Championships in 1985 (I think).

Perhaps my favorite is the score from THE GADFLY by Shostakovich--which has Dorothy Hamill's beautiful "Romance" on it.

I would love to purchase My Young and Tender Beast Waltz (Sasha's Olympic Short, 2002) but could only download. Could not find a recording of...I did purchase the piano sheet music.

I bought the soundtrack from OUt of Africa because of Jill Trenary's lovely interpretation.

Gosh, I'm a music freak and I could go on and on because so much wonderful music has been interpreted by so many beautiful skaters.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Michelle Kwan's Red Violin. I ordered the OST from US, cost a small fortune include postage and custom duties. Watched the movie years later and didn't find it as intriguing or memorable as I got from Michelle's rendition.

Last edited:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
What a fun thread! I'm familiar with most of the classical pieces and tangos, but I did download these:

Chambermaid Swing by Parov Stelar (Kevin Reynolds)
Fu-ya by C2C (Tatsuki Machida)

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I bought the sound track from East of Eden--the miniseries--after watching MIchelle's Skate.

Same here. :) Great score by Lee Holdridge.

Here's a few more of my favorite programs/music purchases:

Henry V (Patrick Doyle) skated by Paul Wylie in 1992

First Knight (Jerry Goldsmith) skated by Todd Eldredge in 1996

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Juke! I downloaded it. And that's about the only one I didn't know/cared enough to hear again.:biggrin:

edenlover

On the Ice
Same here. :) Great score by Lee Holdridge.

Here's a few more of my favorite programs/music purchases:

Henry V (Patrick Doyle) skated by Paul Wylie in 1992

First Knight (Jerry Goldsmith) skated by Todd Eldredge in 1996

Did you know that the piano sheet music for "An American Hymn" is available? I bought it years ago and it is a lovely arrangement.

I also love FIRST KNIGHT but have never purchased. Oh my--the list could go on. This IS a fun thread!

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
I'm another who tracked down the Lee Holdridge East of Eden score Michelle Kwan skated to.

I also bought the CD containing the version of William Alwyn's Lyra Angelica Michelle used.

I actually listen to both CDs in full several times a year, as I also enjoy many of the other pieces on them.

edenlover

On the Ice
I'm another who tracked down the Lee Holdridge East of Eden score Michelle Kwan skated to.

I also bought the CD containing the version of William Alwyn's Lyra Angelica Michelle used.

I actually listen to both CDs in full several times a year, as I also enjoy many of the other pieces on them.

I actually have a copy still in the wrapper because E OF E is so hard to find. ANd yes, there are several beautiful pieces on the CD. Holdridge is overlooked so often. He has written lovely music.

I also purchased Lyra...I play it as background musicnfor my students while they do quiet, independent work.

We have great taste! LOL

Last edited:

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
We have great taste! LOL

LOL! Yes!

I'm listening to The Great Whales: Introduction and Theme (Holdridge) right now. I've always thought it would make great skating music.

I do that with Lyra, too. I play it in the background while I'm at work. It's so calming.

I've been unable to obtain Ikuko Kawai's version of Concierto de Aranjuez that Michelle used. Probably time to try and locate it again. LOL.

Last edited:

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
LegalGirl82 & edenlover

I also own Lyra Angelica. Good taste indeed! :)

I'm listening to The Great Whales: Introduction and Theme (Holdridge) right now. I've always thought it would make great skating music.

Is your version from the Charles Gerhardt Conducts the Film Music of Lee Holdridge CD? If so, I have it too. So much good music on the album. (I have to admit a fondness for The Beastmaster suite.)

Last edited:

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
I own the entire POTO soundtrack, though that was bought before I saw a program using it :slink:

I don't really buy much music but Weapo made me fall in love with Je Suis Malade and I listen to that a ton, also their The Seasons music is the autoplay on my tumblr.

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Is your version from the Charles Gerhardt Conducts the Film Music of Lee Holdridge CD? If so, I have it too. So much good music on the album. (I have to admit a fondness for The Beastmaster suite.)

Yes, that's it! Listening to Beastmaster now. :)

I've actually purchased additional copies of Lyra and given them as gifts to family/friends who were going through rough patches.

edenlover

On the Ice
LegalGirl82 & edenlover

I also own Lyra Angelica. Good taste indeed! :)

Ditto for me! It's the same CD, which now sells on Amazon for 63 bucks. Glad I have the extra from long ago. The entire CD is gorgeous.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I remembered another song I purchased because of Michelle Kwan -- Dante's Prayer (Loreena McKennitt)