Risport Royal Pro breaking down after <8 months | Golden Skate

Risport Royal Pro breaking down after <8 months

Hi! This is like my third post about these boots lol, but after months of having to tie my right boot really tight and weeks of feeling unstable on jump landings and spin entries, I finally noticed today that my right boot has some substantial creasing going on.

For context, I bought these in early July 2023. I love them--they're so comfortable, they're perfect for my foot shape, they allow for good knee and ankle bend, and for the majority of the time I've had them they've had a great amount of support. For about 6 weeks total out of the last 8 months, I didn't skate at all due to injuries and health issues, so it's been more like 7 months of skating in them. For most of that time, I was skating 3-4 hours a week, but in the past month or so I've upped it to 7-8 hours a week in preparation for a competition. I'm still only doing waltz and single salchow, toe, and loop, and I don't jump very big at all. I'm 5'8 and my weight ranges between 150 and 160 pounds. Considering this information, it's strange to me that the boot is breaking down so quickly, and so much more quickly than the left boot. The right boot was on a display shelf in the shop (always in indirect sunlight) before I bought them, I don't know how long. I spoke to the fitter who sold them to me, and he said there was no way the sunlight could have affected the integrity of the boot, only the coloration. So I guess the fact that it's my landing boot is the only thing that could have caused the difference in breakdown time.

I thought it would be reasonable to expect at least a year out of these boots, and now I have to figure out how I'm going to make replacing them 4 months sooner work financially. I also wonder--is this going to happen again if I get another pair of Royal Pros? I can't sustain getting a $530 pair of boots every 8 months, but the next boot up is the RF1 with a 90 stiffness compared to the Royal Pro's 65, and I don't want to overboot (even more). But Risport is by far the best brand for my foot shape. Also, I like the Royal style better than the RF, but I know there's no way I will ever need a Royal Prime.

So basically what I'm asking is...what do I do? Should I just get another pair of Royal Pros and hope this pair was just defective or that it really was the sunlight, or should I find a stiffer boot (from Jackson maybe? Edea?) that won't break down so quickly? Or should I win the lottery and/or sell a kidney so I can just keep replacing the Royal Pros?

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! This is like my third post about these boots lol, but after months of having to tie my right boot really tight and weeks of feeling unstable on jump landings and spin entries, I finally noticed today that my right boot has some substantial creasing going on:

GH8DTgcWoAASTPF

Some context:
I bought these in early July 2023, so eight months ago. I love them--they're so comfortable, they're perfect for my foot shape, they allow for good knee and ankle bend, and for the majority of the time I've had them they've had a great amount of support. For about 6 weeks total out of the last 8 months, I didn't skate at all due to injuries and health issues, so it's been more like 7 months of skating in them. For most of that time, I was skating 3-4 hours a week, but in the past month or so I've upped it to 7-8 hours a week in preparation for a competition. I'm still only doing waltz and single salchow, toe, and loop, and I don't jump very big at all. I'm 5'8 and my weight ranges between 150 and 160 pounds. Considering this information, it's strange to me that the boot is breaking down so quickly, and so much more quickly than the left boot. The right boot was on a display shelf in the shop (always in indirect sunlight) before I bought them, I don't know how long. I spoke to the fitter who sold them to me, and he said there was no way the sunlight could have affected the integrity of the boot, only the coloration. So I guess the fact that it's my landing boot is the only thing that could have caused the difference in breakdown time.

I thought it would be reasonable to expect at least a year out of these boots, and now I have to figure out how I'm going to make replacing them 4 months sooner work financially. I also wonder--is this going to happen again if I get another pair of Royal Pros? I can't sustain getting a $530 pair of boots every 8 months, but the next boot up is the RF1 with a 90 stiffness compared to the Royal Pro's 65, and I don't want to overboot (even more) and injure myself. But Risport is by far the best brand for my foot shape. Also, I like the Royal style better than the RF, but I know there's no way I will ever need a Royal Prime.

So basically what I'm asking is...what do I do? Should I just get another pair of Royal Pros and hope this pair was just defective or that it really was the sunlight, or should I find a stiffer boot (from Jackson maybe? Edea?) that won't break down so quickly? Or should I win the lottery and/or sell a kidney so I can just keep replacing the Royal Pros?
If it's your landing foot and they've lasted 8mos, you are lucky, they shouldn't last longer than a year, esp factoring in your physical stats.
I would suggest another Royal Pro, b/c you definitely don't need a stiffer Risport.

You could also look into Graf and Jackson. If you would like I could suggest styles of boots in those.

If it's your landing foot and they've lasted 8mos, you are lucky, they shouldn't last longer than a year, esp factoring in your physical stats.
I would suggest another Royal Pro, b/c you definitely don't need a stiffer Risport.

You could also look into Graf and Jackson. If you would like I could suggest styles of boots in those.
What model would you recommend from Jackson? Also, would you have any recommendations for insoles for high arches? When I had Jacksons before the Risports, sometimes it felt like the whole middle of my foot was floating above the sole of the boot with only my heel and ball/toes touching because of my arches. Because of that (and the aesthetics, honestly) new Royal Pros are what I’m leaning towards, but I’d be interested to know.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If you've had that experience with Jackson in the past, then stick to Risport. And no, sorry I don't have a suggestion for high arch insoles, that would be something I'd tell you to consult with a podiatrist over.

Alright, thank you—I figured I’d ask since I remember you skate in both Jackson and Risport and so have experience skating in Jacksons while having high arches. I guess I’ll get new Royal Pros and make sure I can afford more by the winter :,)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Alright, thank you—I figured I’d ask since I remember you skate in both Jackson and Risport and so have experience skating in Jacksons while having high arches. I guess I’ll get new Royal Pros and make sure I can afford more by the winter :,)
Understood. I have orthotics in my boots always have no matter the brand. Hence why I suggested Podiatrist to you ;).