Risport Royal Pro too loose in ankle | Golden Skate

Risport Royal Pro too loose in ankle

leia1979

Rinkside
I recently got Risport Royal Pro boots (250B) that seem to fit well and are comfortable but don’t provide enough ankle support from side to side. I really struggle with outside edges, even after adding custom insoles for pronation and moving the blade inwards. I realized there’s enough room for my ankle to roll back inwards because I just can’t get the ankles any tighter.

Is there anything I can do for this or should I have bought the RF3 Pro instead?

Stats:
5’5”
135lbs
adult skater who started in the ‘90s
Freestyle 3 (passed in like 1996, but I still have most of my single jumps)
Egyptian foot with average ball and narrow heel, low volume, pronation that requires fairly high arch support

Previous skates:
SP-Teri Super Teri 7A/AA (tiny bit long and cause a bit of cramping in the bottoms of my feet. These are okay but I like the higher heel on the Risports)
Jackson Debut 7R (too big overall after 3 months—my foot could twist inside the skate and I had major heel slip)

silverlily1

On the Ice
I'm far from an expert. But I did like the Royal line because it had more ankle support and heel lock for me (and less toe crushing) than the RF line. The RF line and the Royal line fit differently in the forefoot. The RFs are more tapered through the toes and the Royals are a bit more rounded. Given that the heel lock was different in the two lines I'd say the heel is differently designed, too. Then again, they say that the RF line hugs the ankle more, but that's only good if the different boot shape works for you.

I've also been in too-wide boots where I could not get proper ankle support no matter what I did or added, or how tight I wrenched them around my ankles.

So based purely on my anecdotal evidence I would say things to check are whether the boot is just too wide for you (based on past skates and complaints it seems you probably have narrow feet) and whether full gel ankle sleeves would be enough to give you that ankle support or whether you just need different boots (size/model/brand).

Last edited:

leia1979

Rinkside
Thanks for the reply @silverlily1

I did some side by side testing with the also-too-big Jackson Debuts, and I think the Royal Pros are just too wide, which is a bummer. I used gel sleeves with the Debuts, but I think they won't be enough for the Royal Pros. I guess it's a bad sign if new skates don't bother my ankle bones!

I have an appointment with the Risport fitter and will see if he thinks the RF3 Pro would work. I think my only other option is a Jackson Rapid Custom, as stock is too wide in the heel and too high volume.

silverlily1

On the Ice

I did some side by side testing with the also-too-big Jackson Debuts, and I think the Royal Pros are just too wide, which is a bummer. I used gel sleeves with the Debuts, but I think they won't be enough for the Royal Pros. I guess it's a bad sign if new skates don't bother my ankle bones!

I have an appointment with the Risport fitter and will see if he thinks the RF3 Pro would work. I think my only other option is a Jackson Rapid Custom, as stock is too wide in the heel and too high volume.
Risports can be ordered in AA width, I believe, if that's enough narrower for you and not too narrow. At least the RF models can be.

I wouldn't want it to bother my ankles either, but a competent fitter can punch it out over your ankle bones while maintaining the tightness around the rest of the ankle. Can't make too big smaller, though.

I broke my left ankle skating about a decade ago and that ankle is bigger than my right, probably because of that. Luckily for me, a gel sleeve on my right is enough to make both sides fit, but not on a wide boot. I have to start from a B.

Last edited:

Elle Coco

Spectator

What was the outcome? I too have recently got Royal Pros. I asked for Rf3 Pro AA but was put in Royal Pro Bs and I fear they are too wide (and stiff) for me.

Started in 245B Edea ice fly but the length was too small and they destroyed my feet. Moved to Chorus 250B, right length finally but as a result the B width wasnt narrow enough and I found the ankle too loose. Was advised by many to get 250AA Rf Pros. But our fitter in Auckland didn't listen and sold me the Royal Pro 250B. Now I'm finding the ankle (and other areas of boot too loose).

They tell me to fill them with more insoles which I did but now the heel doesn't lock and

What was the outcome? I've noticed a similar problem with my Royal Pros. I was put in 250B, when I was advised to be put in Rf3 250AA.

I think I have been sold the wrong width and model of boot for what I need but intrigued to hear what you found out.

Hope you have a suitable resolution!