2017 Canadian Nats Junior Mens FS | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2017 Canadian Nats Junior Mens FS

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Nice article :) But I wish there was more 'Conrad" and less "Orzel", because I was thinking of a bird the whole time I was reading :laugh: I hope he will keep up with his luck at avoiding serious injuries :)

LadyB

Record Breaker
If Stephen carries on like that, he will be right up there with the Canadian Greats. I think his age should be taken into account when looking at little hiccups. I think it's a good thing that he still has a year to tweak and refine his performance before hitting the JGP. For now, very well done to him. :gclap:
I like watching Conrad as well. There's a talent worth nurturing.

LadyB

Record Breaker
[FONT="][CENTER]
RESULTS OF SP

[/CENTER][/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT="]
[SIZE=+2]Junior Men[/SIZE]

RankScoreNameSegment1
168.16Conrad Orzel - CO68.16 (1)
267.18Stephen Gogolev - CO67.18 (2)
361.56Samuel Turcotte - QC61.56 (3)
459.59Jack Dushenski - CO59.59 (4)
553.65James Henri-Singh - QC53.65 (5)
653.53Eric Liu - AB/NT/NU53.53 (6)
752.82Brandon Day - QC52.82 (7)
852.26Graham Schaufele - AB/NT/NU52.26 (8)
950.91Brian Le - BC/YK50.91 (9)
1050.17Iliya Kovler - CO50.17 (10)
1149.13Matthew Markell - EO49.13 (11)
1248.40Zachary Daleman - CO48.40 (12)
1348.24Zoé Duval-Yergeau - QC48.24 (13)
1447.83Jérémie Crevaux - QC47.83 (14)
1547.44Bruce Waddell - CO47.44 (15)
1645.25Justin Brandon Ng-Siva - CO45.25 (16)
1744.25Josh Allen - EO44.25 (17)
1835.16Pier-Alexandre Hudon - QC35.16 (18)
[/FONT]

Thank you so much, Doris, for filling in the gaps!!!:cheer: Amateurs like me shouldn't start threads (it was my first...):palmf:

LadyB

Record Breaker
Great skate from Conrad! He can be a spoiler at JWC :)

ETA: He has very Polish surname. I don't know about his roots, but in Polish his surname means "eagle" :)

I read the other day that he is of Russian origin, started skating in Ekaterinenburg. Does that remind you of someone? :)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I read the other day that he is of Russian origin, started skating in Ekaterinenburg. Does that remind you of someone? :)

The only person, I know was born there, is Julia Lipnitskaia :biggrin: Btw. I'm not sure but I think Poles are the only nationality that has "rz" in their language. That's why I think he must have some Polish roots. I'm not suprised he does have some Russian origin though. Maybe form Polish roots only surname wasn't forgotten ;)

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
orzo : italian pasta :)

Yeah, there is a lot of examples when there is r and then z, but not as one sound (consonant?). It's the same sound as ř in Czech. Michal Březina in Polish would be Michał Brzezina (pronouncation is the same, only letters have changed) :) (actually there are words in Polish were "rz" is prounanced separatey as 'r' and 'z' like in you example, but these are rare exceptions)

Last edited:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I almost cried after watching Steven Gogolev's program. That 3A out of steps was gorgeous. He won on PCS, because Conrad, though very good, telephones all his jumps. Both skaters have junior traits, but Gogolev is not even a junior (age wise). Even more, I see rudiments of music interpretation in the 12 y.o kid, while Conrad is just skating through music. I really wonder how Steven will evolve...he is young...

LadyB

Record Breaker
The only person, I know was born there, is Julia Lipnitskaia :biggrin: Btw. I'm not sure but I think Poles are the only nationality that has "rz" in their language. That's why I think he must have some Polish roots. I'm not suprised he does have some Russian origin though. Maybe form Polish roots only surname wasn't forgotten ;)
Sorry, Cathlen. I jumped the gun a bit, didn't pay attention (slap on the wrist). Thought you were talking of Stephen...:shame: There is a clear advantage in the ability to read. :laugh:
I shouldn't do anything while at work.
Anyway, I meant Kovtun with Ekaterinenburg.
Orzel sounds German to me, they have also lots of 'rz' words, but of course, the roots of the name might well be in Poland, why not. Sorry again!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Conrad and Stephen were impressive. Both are on the young juniorish level still which will be hard to compete on the junior circuit. Imagine them against the power of Nathan Chen (okay he is competing with the big boys but you get the picture. Boys generally have a better chance to get stronger jumps whereas as we see with the Russian girls that is not necessarily so - they have to adjust more whereas the extra muscle as boys develop generally helps unless they grow too tall - even then ie Evan L that isn't a huge problem it is usually if they grow too fast ie Nam. I think Nam may have developed more smoothly and evenly but for the verry large and dramatic growth spurt. I really hate Stephen's hair not to be picky. It reminds me of a little girl or Dorothy Hamill - short and sassy lol. Also when you are that small the pattern on his costume doesn't work. It will be interesting to see if Stephen can keep and strengthen the 3A and quads. both young men struggled with their jumps and had to really push through to save them. It is too close to call.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Sorry, Cathlen. I jumped the gun a bit, didn't pay attention (slap on the wrist). Thought you were talking of Stephen...:shame: There is a clear advantage in the ability to read. :laugh:
I shouldn't do anything while at work.
Anyway, I meant Kovtun with Ekaterinenburg.
Orzel sounds German to me, they have also lots of 'rz' words, but of course, the roots of the name might well be in Poland, why not. Sorry again!

Don't worry! :laugh: Yes, and the commentators do read it like it was German even. But I'm pretty sure the origin is Polish. Might be very, very old roots though :) And we are mixing with Germans for years quite well :biggrin:

Stephen for sure have Russian roots! And I didn't know Kovtun is from Yekaterinburg. I've never paid much attention to him, I guess. But good to know! :) I checked if he ever trained same place as Julia and it seems all of them were skating at Lokomotiv Skating School :)

I've watched Jack Dushenski FP, like I said I would, but he wasn't at his best, for sure.... (and he also have slavic surname :biggrin: -ski surnames are very common in Poland, but I do know Russian have a good share of it too)

Sorry for off topic about surnames ;)

beki

Medalist
I'm glad I'm a fan and not a judge, so I didn't have to choose between Conrad and Stephen. They're both great. I don't see a huge differential in their performance ability, but I find it hard to judge junior skaters on PCS. They look, well, juniorish! I think it's human nature to be a little awed by Stephen's level of talent. I certainly am.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
i would indeed send those 3.... who said that Canada would be in trouble when my chiddy retires?

I think we will have quite a rivalry between those 4 boys...it will be like the women's event.... too many people for too few spots...
I think Nam Nguyen might be eligible too but that boat has long since gone probably. Conrad will be a good representing with Nadeau and Roman imho. As for Stephen - amazing. Conrad has much more power and maturity but you have to keep in mind Stephen just barely turned 12 against a 16 year old so over 4 years difference at this young age is like night and day. If Stephen can stay healthy and keep developing technically and artistically wow.

liv

Record Breaker
I read Conrad's ISU bio and it said he is fluent in French, English and Polish... so there's your Polish connection.

And Stephen only moved to Canada a few years ago, right?