2023 Canadian Nationals Sr. Men's Short Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2023 Canadian Nationals Sr. Men's Short Program

Sackie

Medalist
Just finished watching the men's short and am really disappointed with Roman - not for his skate but more for his lack of caring n the kiss and cry. He just seems to shrug these bad programs off. I would just be so mad at myself with a program like this. But he and his coaches are laughing about it.

Talder

Spectator
Congrats to the Synchro medalists. Lovely skating skills and very enjoyable to watch. (Apologies for posting in this thread, but I didn't see a Synchro thread and it is timely coming just after Men SP finish)
Is there a thread for synchro?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If you would like a synchro thread, please start one!. We just cover Jr & Sr world's in synchro

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wait a minute now. AFAIK, Johnny Weir never said that Keegan Messing would not be successful. @moonvine, Where's the source for that, and what's the context? Johnny's commentary at 2012 U.S. Nationals was absolutely superb. He was widely praised, even by the skaters, for his competence and his witty insights. Famously, Johnny called Keegan, the Honey Badger, meant with respect and affection.

Back then, Keegan was still an up-and-coming skater in the U.S. He fortunately had the option of switching to Canada because his mother was born there. The U.S. has had talented depth in the men's discipline for a long time. It was going to be very difficult for Keegan to break through for an opportunity to make the World team. So Keegan made the smart move to Canada. I was happy for him when I heard about it, because there was greater opportunity for him to flourish there. That doesn't mean that Keegan could not achieve success in the U.S. Back then, it just would have been very difficult and time-consuming. The U.S. was knee-deep in top level men's talent.

Still, it's not as if Keegan shot to the top in Canada. It took time. I remember. He had to prove himself, and finally be accepted as Canadian. Once everyone saw his talent and got to know him and his great personality, he was fully embraced. Don't think Keegan wasn't missed by his U.S. fans. We have all been happy for his success up North!

In any case, Keegan's home state of Alaska is closer to Canada than it is to mainland U.S. We can run down a list of skaters who found success in Canada, in addition to transplants in the opposite direction. In regard to figure skating, Canada and the U.S. are connected in many ways.
I've been listening to Johnny trash talk Keegan for years, and complaining about it for years. It has been egregious and over the top. I have no idea what Johnny said in 2012. In 2012 I was still watching the final 6 skate, which is what NBC provided me, and whoever else they chose to show. I gave one example, which was in the case of Keegan skating after Hanyu, and Johnny said "How dare he bring out that hot mess of a Chaplin program after that utter perfection that Hanyu skated?" OK Johnny, was he not supposed to skate? Was he supposed to make up a new program on the spot to please you? I cannot give you a date, clearly it was a comp where Keegan skated directly after Hanyu and when Keegan was still skating his Chaplin program, which would have been what, 2018 or 2019? I know Keegan skated that Chaplin program for 2 seasons, I just don't remember if it was the season before or after the Olympics. I've forgotten the rest of what Johnny said after coming here and venting. I seriously think NBC told him to knock it off. I can see where Keegan's skating would not be Johnny's cup of tea, but I should not be able to tell that from the commentary.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I just checked the worlds results last year for SP. To qualify for the LP a score of 71.42 was needed. This means that the top 6, of course, we cannot really compare scores from a National event to worlds... but just for fun, would have made the final. Matt Markell and Corey Circelli though, with a clean program without a triple axel may have had a hard time at worlds. At Nationals they do get some recognition for the exquisite skating. Keegan would have been 7th with a 94 ish.. Conrad, about 13th with 86.

Last year, Keegan placed in the top 10 with 91... and Roman, 18 with 80 only.

Wesley, Stephen and Roman with Sp's like this weekend would not have made the free skate.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've been listening to Johnny trash talk Keegan for years, and complaining about it for years. It has been egregious and over the top. I have no idea what Johnny said in 2012. In 2012 I was still watching the final 6 skate, which is what NBC provided me, and whoever else they chose to show. I gave one example, which was in the case of Keegan skating after Hanyu, and Johnny said "How dare he bring out that hot mess of a Chaplin program after that utter perfection that Hanyu skated?" OK Johnny, was he not supposed to skate? Was he supposed to make up a new program on the spot to please you? I cannot give you a date, clearly it was a comp where Keegan skated directly after Hanyu and when Keegan was still skating his Chaplin program, which would have been what, 2018 or 2019? I know Keegan skated that Chaplin program for 2 seasons, I just don't remember if it was the season before or after the Olympics. I've forgotten the rest of what Johnny said after coming here and venting. I seriously think NBC told him to knock it off. I can see where Keegan's skating would not be Johnny's cup of tea, but I should not be able to tell that from the commentary.
Okay, so you're talking about Johnny's specific commentary regarding a competitive event performance well after Keegan had switched to representing Canada. So, seemingly Johnny didn't appreciate the Chaplin program. Johnny has surely been critical of other programs he didn't like that other skaters have performed. I've really never noticed any particular dislike or OTT negativity against Keegan by Johnny. Maybe he felt Keegan should challenge himself with something different. I would need to hear what Johnny specifically said. I find it hard to believe that Johnny would straight out say that any skater "will never be successful" in their career. If he was discussing success, it must have been a more specific comment related to a performance, event occurrences, program choices and/or training choices.

In any case, NBC simply doesn't foster or appear to expect good, in-depth commentary, which Johnny is capable of, but it all gets lost in the hype-driven, superficial trivia-driven approach NBC apparently is looking for because they understand very little about figure skating, regardless of how long they've broadcast the sport.

I don't agree with some of Johnny's views, much less Tara's. I really like Terry. But NBC has overall chosen the hyped, performative formula of sports broadcasting. Johnny's analytical talents are generally wasted. I haven't even gotten to hear much of their commentary the past several seasons.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
thank you! I wish everyone would do this. I do too, but I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive about it, so
Sure, but in some cases, posters are simply responding in general to the event, with a variety of impressions of what a variety of posters have said. But mostly may be simply sharing their own overall feelings about the event. Sometimes, it's hard to follow an event thread which are moment-by-moment reactions during performances. A lot of posters end up joining at the end just to share their thoughts of the overall event.

I do tend to quote a poster when I have a specific response or query regarding a comment. But then, I may continue further to related impressions which are not addressed specifically to that poster, but are connected to my views on the skater/ performance, etc.

One of the biggest issues is that online communication is hampered by indirect conversation. Thus, mistaking tone and intent can often occur. Unavoidable misunderstandings are a commonplace occurrence on the Internet.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Newnham was cool. Other than that… ouch. I saw that Gogolev managed to come back from this SP, so I have a bad feeling about the FP now.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Wait a minute now. AFAIK, Johnny Weir never said that Keegan Messing would not be successful. @moonvine, Where's the source for that, and what's the context? Johnny's commentary at 2012 U.S. Nationals was absolutely superb. He was widely praised, even by the skaters, for his competence and his witty insights. Famously, Johnny called Keegan, the Honey Badger, meant with respect and affection.

Back then, Keegan was still an up-and-coming skater in the U.S. He fortunately had the option of switching to Canada because his mother was born there. The U.S. has had talented depth in the men's discipline for a long time. It was going to be very difficult for Keegan to break through for an opportunity to make the World team. So Keegan made the smart move to Canada. I was happy for him when I heard about it, because there was greater opportunity for him to flourish there. That doesn't mean that Keegan could not achieve success in the U.S. Back then, it just would have been very difficult and time-consuming. The U.S. was knee-deep in top level men's talent.

Still, it's not as if Keegan shot to the top in Canada. It took time. I remember. He had to prove himself, and finally be accepted as Canadian. Once everyone saw his talent and got to know him and his great personality, he was fully embraced. Don't think Keegan wasn't missed by his U.S. fans. We have all been happy for his success up North!

In any case, Keegan's home state of Alaska is closer to Canada than it is to mainland U.S. We can run down a list of skaters who found success in Canada, in addition to transplants in the opposite direction. In regard to figure skating, Canada and the U.S. are connected in many ways.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Wait a minute folks, I read this somewhere on Golden Skate. I guess that's what I get for quoting someone's off handed remarks. No matter, Keegan is loved in Canada and has done us proud. Keegan has become a real skating household name here.