Practice/on-site reports | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Practice/on-site reports

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
She posted this picture two weeks ago. I guess she's not 100% fit.

Yep, I follow her Instagram. I hope she's better now, but there was a post earlier that wasn't that positive. Well..let's see. She had a pretty hard fall in the warm up at Nationals and skated clean. Everything is possible with Anna.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
it was after the nationals...
the question is how is her now
I think it looks like as if her knee/leg is still taped. We'll see more tomorrow of course, when she's wearing her tan skating tights.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yep, I follow her Instagram. I hope she's better now, but there was a post earlier that wasn't that positive. Well..let's see. She had a pretty hard fall in the warm up at Nationals and skated clean. Everything is possible with Anna.
Sending positive vibe to Anna as well. :ddevil:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Did not realize to check Anna's leg and umfortunately have no vids of any of them... But as I said Anna was not as solid as she has been earlier in the season. But it could be that it was a bad practice?!

Sat through pairs. All top pairs looked good as far as I could tell. All Russians did runthroughs with few elements, but did practice them otherwise. Tarasova-Morozov, Savchenko-Massot left a particularly good impression. Stolbova-Klimov did well also, as did the French and italian teams. Well, apart from Marchei-Hotarek who had a messy day...

Men start only on Friday, so a lot of missing skaters, all Russians among them, Samohim also. Little jumping during runthroughs, outside nothing glorious.

My boy Deniss Vasiljevs did SP without jumps, but looked quite convincing otherwise. The axel still looks scary uncertain and the rest of the jumps seem to have not progressed a lot...

For Javi, check his fan fest in a few minutes...

E

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Another young male skater I would grant good jumping skills is Kevin Aymoz who is just brilliant to watch... somehow forgot to watch Brezina.

Let's hope I have the energy to come back by 7.30 to see Carolina in SP practice...

E

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
OK, so here I am with my reports from practices on Tuesday. For the start I will warn you I wasn't really concentrated first, because I tried to watch everyone and everything, but I hope I was able to write the important notes. I didn't see ice dancers, and I saw very little of a men's practice, now I'll start with ladies:

A.Pogorilaya SP-3Lz+3T solid, CCoSp,FCSp, 3Lo fall, 2A, Stsq,last spin skipped
She landed 3Lo later, after her run through
M.Sotskova SP-3Lz+3T nice but might be UR (it will of course depend to judges during the competition), then I didn't pay attention for a few seconds so I missed her solo jump (sorry about that), StSq, 2A, spins
A.Galustyan SP- didn't do triples during her run through: 2Lz+2T, 2F, FCSp, 1A, LSp, StSq, CCoSp
A.Kuchvalska SP-3T fall, 3F step out so no combination, FSSp.
After the run through she spent a lot of time on triple flip, fell once, but then landed it cleanly a few times. She left the ice later than the others.
E.Medvedeva FP- 3F+3T+3T, 3Lz+3T (maybe e or !), 3Lo+3T, 3F+3T, 2A+3T+2T, 3S+3T, 2A.
As it is already said in this thread she was rock solid. She really is very elegant and no other lady is not so sure with her jumps to do a run through like she did. I don't like the way she is sometimes overrated, but we have to admit she is really beautiful, has beautiful lines and is really good overall.

C.Kostner - not much during run through: just 1Lo, 2A, StSq, CCoSp
Similar as Evgenia: I didn't agree with judges many times in the past about the points they were giving her but if she skater cleanly I again have to admit she is really really good. Beatiful skating, I didn't know before why everyone is talking about her skating skills so much, but she really skates beautifully. From the litle she showed us in practice I also liked the interesting music and choreography. Looked good overall landed 2 axels, 3T+3T with no problem, 3F, 3Lz, nice spins, seemed like she gets along well with Mishin

R. Rodegiero SP: 3T+3T stepout, fast rotation, 2A, Stsq

Viveca Lindfors - quite a lot of falls during practice

N.Rajičová SP- didn't do much during run through, but she stayed on the practice till the very end, worked on 3Lz
L.Hendrickx SP-3Lz fall, 3F fall, 2A turnout, CCoSp, StSq, LSp
Joshi SP-3Lz,3T+2T(tano), 2A
M.L.Hanzlíková SP-3S+3T, LSp, 3Lo, FCSp, StSq,2A quite slow going into it, CCoSp
Looked solid, has a good energy. Spins are nice, but maybe a bit slower.
L.Lecavier-skated FP, she did 1Lz+3T (looked like she planned to do just a 1Lz), 3F, 2A+3T, FCSp, 3Lz stepout, 2A
Mae B. Meite SP-3Lo+3T, 3Lz, FCSp, StSq, CCoSp

Men practice:
Some of them skipped the practice (Samohin, all Russians) which is understandable as they start their competition later than pairs and ladies and also have a chance to practice in the practice hall.
I saw just the whole group, where Deniss Vasiljevs was and I concentrated on him during the session so:
SP run through - skipped axel, 2Lz, CCoSp, skipped 3F, StSq, CCSp, FSSp with good speed and position (which is typical for him)
Overall has a nice skating, I liked the program better than on TV, Deniss looks more mature than last year (which is not surprising :D ). Lambiel has a very nice coat, looks very handsome and I have his signature :D
Rest of the practice looked pretty good for Deniss: he did nice 3Lz+3T combinations, 3 lutzes, nice 3 axels, 3F+1Lo+3S, in the end he did some basic skating like crossovers and maybe something other I don't remember. Also if anyone was wondering if he tries quads during practice I think he does. There was no quad attempt but he did a few 3S a 3T, where he obviously tried to concentrate more on the takeoff, then did some takeoff without doing the whole jumps.

Last edited:

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Pairs practice:
Marchei/Hotárek FS: 3Tw not so good, sbs 3T (she fell), sbs combination (she did 2s+1t, he did probably 3S+2T - not sure I was watching her during this element, bad lift (she went down before he even lifted her above his head), then they went to talk with their coaches and skipped most of the middle part of the program, then did death spiral, 3Lz she landed but fell immediately after.
The rest of the practice was so so. Valentina did 3T, 3S with no problem, he landed 3S+2T+2T, then they landed sbs 3T. She fell on 3Tw, then did another which was better but not clean and then they did 2Tw. Also landed nice 3LoTh, 3LzTh with good speed. At the end of the sessions they tried SBS 3S, she doubled, then she fell, last attempt was clean.

James/Cipres had very good practice. They have nice sped, nice sbs 3S, high 3LzTh, all their throws were high. They also did a few 4S attemps - fast rotation, she landed it with a stepout, 2nd attempt 2 footed but landed, she fell on a 3rd attemp.
Run through SP: 3Tw which looked very good (I remember it used to be lower in the past), SBS 3S - stepout from her, doubled from him, 3LzTh, StSq, FCoSp. After run through they spent a lot of time by the boards with coaches.

Dušková/Bidař: she skated in a dress, don't know if she will be wearing the same for the competition, but it didn't looked like a simple practice dress.
Run through FS: nice 3T, 3Tw, skipped 3S, skipped 3LzTh, skipped a lift, 3STh she fell, Li, PCoSp, Li, death spiral, FCCoSp with good synchro, ChSp.
They spent lot of time on SBS jumps and throws. She fell on 3STh, landed it on the 3rd attemp, 3S+2T+2T not perfect(either stepout, or turnout)

Russian pairs didn't do much during run throughs.

Aliona and Bruno got the big applause :). The practice looked pretty solid.
Run through FS: exquisite beautiful the best 3Tw with amazing height as always...pure beauty (maybe I'm exxagerating now, but if you see it live it is really just WOW), sbs 3T+3T sequence (I think Bruno did triple+double or double+double), skipped sbs 3S, 2ATh, deathspiral, 3STh, lifts.
Not everything perfect but overall they are amazing. For me Aliona is the queen of pairs skating. They seem to be very comfortable with each other, few laughs, they were smiling.
Della Monica/Guarise FS: sbs 1S from him, 3S from her, 3Tw looked pretty high and nice, Li, 3LoTh, ChSq, Li, FCCoSp, solid lifts with good speed, solid skate overall

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Another young male skater I would grant good jumping skills is Kevin Aymoz who is just brilliant to watch... somehow forgot to watch Brezina.

Let's hope I have the energy to come back by 7.30 to see Carolina in SP practice...

E

I hope for the same :D

Sophie-Anna

Medalist

E

And don't you know who was there as a coach with Březina?

carmina

On the Ice
E.Medvedeva FP- 3F+3T+3T, 3Lz+3T (maybe e or !), 3Lo+3T, 3F+3T, 2A+3T+2T, 3S+3T, 2A.
As it is already said in this thread she was rock solid. She really is very elegant and no other lady is not so sure with her jumps to do a run through like she did. I don't like the way she is sometimes overrated, but we have to admit she is really beautiful, has beautiful lines and is really good overall.

:hap93: :hap10: :hap93:

wish we gave a video for it :cool14:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I came in to check because there is a group of my friends from Italy moaning that they weren't let in to the practice rink because they weren't pass holders. Is that true? Or is there some sort of a loophole where fans can sneak in?

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Holy smoke, Evgenia. No wonder she's World champion. That kind of stamina to put out combos like that is unheard of. She can just add combo onto anything. Girls, watch and learn.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Random notes on ladies practice

Kostner: 15 people at the rink for group 2. She did her jump passes over and over with what seemed like great confidence. Nothing else really. Runthrough until the 3Lo then skipped all else untul the 2A...

Peltonen: partial runthrough without jumps, 3+3 combos seemed troublesome this morning.

Lindfors: partial runthrough with a try at the triple (stepped out), otherwise did not see her do much. Executes movement but does not really present them.

Lecavalier: partial runthrough, did not seem to certain with the jumps

Helgesson: fairly complete runthrough, but not all jumps squeaky clean.

Toth: no jumps in runthrough, jbut really liked the step sequence!

Weinzierl & Meite: tried hard not to fall asleep. Galustyen no show.

Pogorilaya: both knees protected, did most of runthrough, all jumps rock solid, good steps

Medvedeva: skipped first spin, did steps ok, two 3+3 combos for fun and overrotated 2A, last spin ok.

Rodeghiero: partial runthrough, some problems with jumps

Sotskova: did most of the runthrough, jumps ok, those dark root looked a lot like a head band...

Kuchavalska: looked in general much more like her 2016 self, runthrough impressionistic (ie not much of it actually done)

MGstyle: no practice rink entries for us mere mortals... (Plus I think I probably know those italians, too... Have not seen them today so wonder if they managed to get in any way?)

E

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
MGstyle: no practice rink entries for us mere mortals... (Plus I think I probably know those italians, too... Have not seen them today so wonder if they managed to get in any way?)
E
Oh I really should hope so. I wouldn't bother to attend a live event if the practice sessions are off limits to the fans! Yes I think my friends are pretty noticeable, like "Kostner's army" lol.. although the main complaint came from a G/G fan finding out all the dance practice were to be held in the practice rink!! I feel her pain!

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
MGstyle - I recognize the complaint. We're obviously connected in the real world :) i'm equally unhappy for missing all the men's practices...

Lots of people here for a midday work day competition! They have lowered the temperatute a lot from yesterday.