Montreal Worlds: Ticket questions | Golden Skate

Montreal Worlds: Ticket questions

sunshineifeelfine

Spectator
Hi there,

I'm new here, and I have some questions for you guys, if its ok with you.

I was wondering if it's common practice for other big Figure Skating events not to open the whole upper levels (300-400 sections in Montreal), and just leave them empty and unsold?

I noticed other people commenting on the high price for tickets at the Montreal Worlds ($150-$570) for a single day ticket.

Wouldn't it make sense for the organizers to open those sections at a cheaper price, instead of making no money off them, and just sitting empty.

I know it's sometimes common practice for concerts not to open the higher sections, if lots of tickets remain unsold at the lower levels (Montreal Worlds this year still has lots of tickets unsold at the lower levels, especially the 100s), so are they just following this type of practice?

I live in Montreal, and would like to go to at least one day of the competition, but at those prices it seems to be for the elites, or really committed fans such as yourselves, and not just casual ones.

Also, I was wondering why it isn't common practice to sell day, and evening session tickets at Figure Skating events for the same day, like other sporting events such as Tennis Tournaments do?

I see that some days have 7 plus hours of live competition, so wouldn't it make sense to have 2 sessions of tickets per day to offer a lower price for the casual fan who would be happy to see a half day of competition of 3 to 4 hours, but not a whole days worth?

Please let me know any insights, as a casual fan, the high prices seem to limit who will be able to go to these types of competitions, and hinder the growth of the sport.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Welcome to Golden Skate! I'll have to think this one through for suggestions to promote the sport & make it more accessible for the casual fans. On a personal level, I share Youtube videos of my personal favorites when possible (it has increased awareness of skaters like Jason Brown).

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I don't know how relevant regional experience is here, but I'll try to share.
I like the regional Russian practice (found only in Chelyabinsk region), when they sell separate tickets for separate types of competitions (ID+ men`singles, pairs+womans singles). Tickets are very inexpensive (from 5.5 dollars), you can buy a single ticket for all days for 27 dollars.
But if, for example, a fan does not want to attend all types of competitions on all days, he can not worry about having to overpay. It helps boost sales, I'm sure.

macy

Record Breaker
do they typically not sell single event tickets for worlds, and only by the day or all events?

sunshineifeelfine

Spectator
do they typically not sell single event tickets for worlds, and only by the day or all events?

For Worlds in Montreal this year, it's only whole day tickets, and all event single tickets (which are not available anymore).

That's why I was asking if this is typical practice, and also if it's typical practice to not sell the upper levels at a lower price, and just leave them unsold and empty, either at other Worlds in the past, or just regular competitions in the recent past?

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I see no point in buying ticket to upper levels, except in hopes of taking more expensive seats that are left empty. But not selling all event tickets after a couple of month a year ahead of the competition is an idiotic policy

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think there are cheaper seats than 150-570 dollars. I bought an all event pass but some of my friends are tagging along just for one day and told me it was less than 100... So i am not sure how you get to that price.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think there are cheaper seats than 150-570 dollars. I bought an all event pass but some of my friends are tagging along just for one day and told me it was less than 100... So i am not sure how you get to that price.
That would be what I will be buying for Thursday. I am now flying on Thursday early in the morning, so depending on when flight actually comes in, how long it takes me to get to the hotel and get rid of the carry-on, I will get the ticket once I get to the stadium. If I can put a full day in...yeah, I will go higher. I dunno, the lowest I see on ticketmaster is $185 for Thursday.

Skatie

On the Ice
I agree - not sure why I can't just buy a ticket for one event instead of one day (two events). On Ticketmaster the cheapest seats on Friday and Saturday are $235 but that is for two events (the full day of competition). I only wanted to see dance, but I'm forced to pay for the entire day of Dance and another event that doesn't interest me. The only thing I can think of is that it seems according to the schedule that there is only one hour between the two events so that doesn't leave enough time to empty the arena and have everyone re-enter for the second event.

I think they sold the first two rows of the upper level, but since they can't even sell out the lower bowls, they don't want to sell upper levels as it would seem so bare at ice level.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That would be what I will be buying for Thursday. I am now flying on Thursday early in the morning, so depending on when flight actually comes in, how long it takes me to get to the hotel and get rid of the carry-on, I will get the ticket once I get to the stadium. If I can put a full day in...yeah, I will go higher. I dunno, the lowest I see on ticketmaster is $185 for Thursday.
ok... my friends bought tickets this summer. Maybe it was cheaper back then. interesting.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Personally, I am interested, but if they were selling All Events by the time I chose (wrongly again! Never Montreal again!) Montreal over Taipei, I would have went for the whole event.

sunshineifeelfine

Spectator
I see no point in buying ticket to upper levels, except in hopes of taking more expensive seats that are left empty.

What do you mean you see no point in buying tickets to upper levels? The point is that the tickets to the lower levels are way too expensive for lower income people, and just casual fans ($150-$570 for single day tickets). If tickets to the upper levels were opened up at $75-$100 price level then more people could afford to go, and there wouldn't just be the entire upper levels completely empty, and unsold, and unused.

There were a limited number of seats at around $75 just for the first day of the competition (Wednesday), but those are long gone.

The current prices are indeed $150-$570 for single day tickets.

You can check it out for yourself: https://www.ticketmaster.ca/worlds-...849382?lang=en-ca&brand=evenko&venueId=401966

I agree - not sure why I can't just buy a ticket for one event instead of one day (two events).

Well, the simple answer is that it seems they make more money this way. They can sell a 200 something dollar ticket, instead of a hundred something dollar ticket, if you just wanna buy to one event. Maybe it makes sense profit wise for them, but it's not fan friendly, and it just turns people off from attending these types of events in person, and growing the sport. It's like you wanna buy a carton of eggs at the grocery store, but they're forcing you to get a 2 pack instead, when you don't need the second pack.

One hour should be enough to void the arena of people, and readmit the new ones. They do it all the time at tennis tournaments between sessions. If one hour isn't enough, they should just make it maybe an hour and a half between events.

I think they sold the first two rows of the upper level, but since they can't even sell out the lower bowls, they don't want to sell upper levels as it would seem so bare at ice level.

Thanks for bringing up that point. It makes sense to want to have the impression of a full arena for the TV cameras, which mostly show the lower levels. But in that case, why not just lower the price of the lower level seats if there are so many left unsold to get the lower levels really packed? Maybe they'll do that closer to the event, if so many tickets still go unsold at the lower levels at the current prices.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
ok... my friends bought tickets this summer. Maybe it was cheaper back then. interesting.
I don't mind, because I want decent seats, and it is whole day. I am usually there from the first warm up till the last moment anyway, since I love all disciplines. $200 per day is nothing versus other sports that have insane prices for like 3 hours game or something

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
What do you mean you see no point in buying tickets to upper levels? The point is that the tickets to the lower levels are way too expensive for lower income people, and just casual fans ($150-$570 for single day tickets).
I can't see anyone, let alone casual fan, enjoying the view from so far away tbh. TV is much better and free. The point of going live is to sit close.

sunshineifeelfine

Spectator
I can't see anyone, let alone casual fan, enjoying the view from so far away tbh. TV is much better and free. The point of going live is to sit close.

You seem to be speaking from a personal point of view (can afford the more expensive tickets, not worth going if sitting further away, want to see it all, etc.)

The more casual, or lower income fan would be happy to just see one event a day, even at a further up location level, at a reasonable price.

Yes, I agree with you that higher level seats are aren't as good as lower level ones, and of course the TV is clearer and free, but the TV doesn't have the "live atmosphere", and it still would be worth it for many people, including myself to be there in person, even if it's from further away, at least just for one day, or event.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I see no point in buying ticket to upper levels, except in hopes of taking more expensive seats that are left empty. But not selling all event tickets after a couple of month a year ahead of the competition is an idiotic policy
Most (all?) events stop selling all-event tickets when they start selling single-event (or single-day) tickets. It's a matter of logistics; once single tickets are sold, it is difficult to find a seat that has NO ONE in it for any part of the event.

Later sales of all-event tickets would probably only work if they opened up new section(s), that had never been available for single-event sales.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
There were a limited number of seats at around $75 just for the first day of the competition (Wednesday), but those are long gone.

The current prices are indeed $150-$570 for single day tickets.

You can check it out for yourself: https://www.ticketmaster.ca/worlds-...849382?lang=en-ca&brand=evenko&venueId=401966
Yes.. that's my point though. I bought tickets as soon as they were released. (all event pass) and then, as soon as single session tickets came out, I told my friends who wanted to come for only one day or two.

They bought tickets (and I verified just now with them) for about 80 bucks plus taxes.

So, really, it's like anything in life, if you want a good deal, you need to buy at the right moment, and for events like these, it means committing early on. At this point, it's normal to have to spend more. Considering you are from Montreal, it wouldn't have been super risky to buy tickets earlier as you don't need to purchase a flight or book a hotel. At this point, part of the problem resides in the fact that you have waited too long.

The website indeed talks about cheaper seats.

Day tickets are priced starting at $78.25 CAD and can be purchased online at Ticketmaster.ca. Each day ticket includes access to the daily competition and early practice at the Bell Centre (excluding the Exhibition Gala practice).

Those seats were purchased months ago by people willing to commit early. It's just business.

I understand the frustration. I have lived it myself at other events (for instance the tennis tournament in Montreal... very expensive if you don't buy super early). At the same time, it's pretty normal practice for many events, not just in sports but also for cultural events. You need to buy early. As a matter of fact, in 2020, I had not purchased a pass. Just a couple single sessions when they were released. I found that buying an all-event pass on the first day of the pre-sale ended up being way cheaper...

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That's why I was asking if this is typical practice, and also if it's typical practice to not sell the upper levels at a lower price, and just leave them unsold and empty, either at other Worlds in the past, or just regular competitions in the recent past?
For 4CC in Colorado Springs, they definitely didn't sell vast areas of the arena. It was nice to be able to walk around freely and get to the washrooms and drinking fountains, but not as exciting as going to an event at a sold-out arena.

I think things have changed a lot since COVID, at least in Canada; events and arenas that were packed pre-COVID have been very sparsely attended since (examples: Skate Canada and Canadian nationals; events at Thunderbird arena).

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Most (all?) events stop selling all-event tickets when they start selling single-event (or single-day) tickets. It's a matter of logistics; once single tickets are sold, it is difficult to find a seat that has NO ONE in it for any part of the event.

Later sales of all-event tickets would probably only work if they opened up new section(s), that had never been available for single-event sales.
Well, I had all-event ticket in 2020. I was going to go to Taipei to JWC until the political situation darkened in the fall and we got to see people trying to flee from a certain country with no real warning that jam was going to hit the fan...that's when we decided on Montreal. We should have went to Taipei, but how can you predict politcis? Anyway, can't they sell all-event tickets like a few months in advance as opposed to a year? Our world is too unstable to plan this far ahead!

But in the future, I will have a rule: if a choice is between Montreal and anything else, chose anything, literally anything else! Montreal is cursed for me.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Anyway, can't they sell all-event tickets like a few months in advance as opposed to a year?
Yes, if they delay the sales of single-event or single-day tickets.

Have you thought of buying tickets from a private seller? I don't think I would because of the risk of fraud, but it is a possibility.