Montreal Worlds: Ticket questions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Montreal Worlds: Ticket questions

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
A bit of info about public events in Montreal. With the covid lockdown from 2020, and then, the shorter closures of the concert halls and other venues following the Omicron wave, the crowds have not reached their pre-pandemic levels for most events. Concert halls are not close to full capacity. People still go to hockey games...but other than that, it's been difficult for organizers of many cultural and sportive events. If you combine this lingering "stay-at-home" feeling with the inflation, it makes worlds a tough event to sell. On top of that, Canadian skating is not at its peak these last few years with no current world champions or known stars. For the casual fans, the absence of skaters of the level of Chan, Virtue and Moir or of a popular local star like Joannie Rochette back in the day, is not conducive to spending hundreds of dollars. Even at very cheap ACI this year, which did include international stars, there were plenty of good seats (it's general admission, I remember going there and having to be creative to find seating). It is what it is. It's not one factor (lack of interest for the sport) but a combination of many.
As mentioned in this thread, even hardcore fans are lukewarm : many didn't feel like buying all event passes over a year before time. I expect some last minute purchases to happen : as an event organizer myself, I have seen that happening a lot. People wait until the last minute to buy tickets, to make sure their money will not be wasted. What I can guarantee you is that the people who will be at the rink, if it's anything like ACI, will be truly super enthusiastic, knowledgeable and supportive.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I expect some last minute purchases to happen : as an event organizer myself, I have seen that happening a lot. People wait until the last minute to buy tickets, to make sure their money will not be wasted.
Also - and I freely admit I have done this myself - some folk may be waiting to see if there is a last-minute price cut to something more affordable and at least some of these will stump up when push comes to shove.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Also - and I freely admit I have done this myself - some folk may be waiting to see if there is a last-minute price cut to something more affordable and at least some of these will stump up when push comes to shove.
I doubt there will be any better deals than the deals those who bought an all event pass got. It's the perks given to the early buyers. But last minute resigned purchases will happen. Timing of worlds is a bit annoying too for families. Spring break week is right now... Many people are traveling and that's where their time and money got invested. However, they may look for tickets in a couple weeks, realize there are tons left and splurge. YOLO worlds tickets will happen :) I hope that figure skating clubs in town are getting promotional codes so that the arena is filled with young skaters.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I doubt there will be any better deals than the deals those who bought an all event pass got. .
I do too, but in a worldwide cost of living crisis, you can't blame them for hoping. especially those who actually won't (aka can't) buy full price and see that the tickets are not selling...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I do too, but in a worldwide cost of living crisis, you can't blame them for hoping. especially those who actually won't (aka can't) buy full price and see that the tickets are not selling...
you know... Cost of a Montreal Habs game (average) is over 200$ and it's pretty much always jam packed and there are what 40?50? local games a year ? So I will ask Michael Bublé to cry a river on anyone who tells me it's too much money for figure skating, first time Montreal hosting worlds in almost a century, when there are 20K spectators watching the Habs pretty much every week at ticket prices higher than cheaper seats for worlds.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
you know... Cost of a Montreal Habs game (average) is over 200$ and it's pretty much always jam packed and there are what 40?50? local games a year ? So I will ask Michael Bublé to cry a river on anyone who tells me it's too much money for figure skating, first time Montreal hosting worlds in almost a century, when there are 20K spectators watching the Habs pretty much every week at ticket prices higher than cheaper seats for worlds.
Hey, I would agree with you (sorry, I'm being distracted by the show on stream atm so am more scatty than usual) but if someone decides it's too much money because they have to save the pennies for the footy (is that footy?) what can you do? I was just meekly pointing out that people might have been hoping for a price drop and some of them might now stump up when it's clear the drop isn't going to happen. Being hopeful, as it happens.

ps - and a thought, many of the full stadiums of recent times was at least partly from overseas )okay, Japanese) tour groups, I understand. That cost a lot and what with the cost, the afteraffects of lockdowns and other factors, they probably aren't touring as much.

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My all-event ticket was $429 U.S.D.. I am sitting in the 200 level, which is fine with me. I just want to be in the building. For 8 events and 2 practice days, that seems pretty cheap when you consider there are 40 men, 35 women, 36 dance teams, and 25 pairs. Fewer skaters for the free, but still! That is hours and hours of entertainment for the money. When you consider a concert or a hockey game lasts only a couple hours, this seems like quite a bargain!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey, I would agree with you (sorry, I'm being distracted by the show on stream atm so am more scatty than usual) but if someone decides it's too much money because they have to save the pennies for the footy (is that footy?) what can you do? I was just meekly pointing out that people might have been hoping for a price drop and some of them might now stump up when it's clear the drop isn't going to happen. Being hopeful, as it happens.

ps - and a thought, many of the full stadiums of recent times was at least partly from overseas )okay, Japanese) tour groups, I understand. That cost a lot and what with the cost, the afteraffects of lockdowns and other factors, they probably aren't touring as much.

Just jumping in for a parenthetical.

The Habs = the Montréal Canadiens (les Habitants). Hockey. Ice hockey. Decidedly not footy ;) Which makes persons willing to pay those prices even more impressive. Particularly since no one had stricter lockdown measures than Québec to "emerge" from. Just ask Deanna Stellato, unable to practice on ice for many a moon.

If I were personally able to travel, I would pay those prices for a Worlds in Montreal. But Montreal is an seven hour drive for me, if I had clear sailing and no stops, I drive a Prius, so travel is cheaper. :)

US Nats this year was amazingly full (for US Nats), and I think they sold last minute tickets at a discount and invited groups. But I don't know for sure.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

lol at footy ;) though the FC Montreal does gather its crowd... HOCKEY... there is nothing else but HOCKEY in this part of the world.
ACI : there were quite a lot of international travelers to see Kaori, Sota and RR... and Boyang. Honestly, I expect many are still coming to worlds.

BTW : the Just for Laughs Festival just filed for bankruptcy and canceled their 2024 edition... It's difficult right now for events in Montreal for the reasons I have explained above. It's certainly not about ticket prices because the festivals often offer cheap and even free events... it's more than that.. I believe the issues are structural at this point. I think ticket sales were doing well for Montreal worlds 2020...so I blame covid and inflation really.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just jumping in for a parenthetical.

The Habs = the Montréal Canadiens (les Habitants). Hockey. Ice hockey. Decidedly not footy ;)
Oops sorry. Ice hockey is so far off my radar I never even thought of it, which shows how disparate sports are in different countries.

Which makes persons willing to pay those prices even more impressive.
People here will pay hundreds for a semifinal for Aussie Rules, even if they have to forgo other things and save for a year, if their team is in. It's a weird thing, fandom (hey, were I not having to renew my passports, I would probably seriously have considered going in for the RE_PRAY lottery, and flying to Japan, I could justify it as a trip to a lovely country!)

US Nats this year was amazingly full (for US Nats), and I think they sold last minute tickets at a discount and invited groups. But I don't know for sure.
That's what I heard too, and it makes me wonder why TPTB don't just do cheap seats in the first place, at least they get some money out of it!

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
ACI : there were quite a lot of international travelers to see Kaori, Sota and RR... and Boyang. Honestly, I expect many are still coming to worlds.
Oh yes I know (and Boyang, in China, got the biggest stuffie rain we have seen for a while too. I know that's by the bye but so nice to see) but the Asian travellers filled rinks to overflowing in prior years. To the point where TV specials were made on the phenomenon, which of course was good pr.

Which of the Canadian skaters could they have done a TV special on? Seriously, I think Patrick or even Kevin (the fight to be at the top when it never quite seems to be in reach, and he was quite an interesting boy) would have worked!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh yes I know (and Boyang, in China, got the biggest stuffie rain we have seen for a while too. I know that's by the bye but so nice to see) but the Asian travellers filled rinks to overflowing in prior years. To the point where TV specials were made on the phenomenon, which of course was good pr.

Which of the Canadian skaters could they have done a TV special on? Seriously, I think Patrick or even Kevin (the fight to be at the top when it never quite seems to be in reach, and he was quite an interesting boy) would have worked!
They have done specials with many skaters. You just haven't seen them :)