2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 88 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

icetigger

On the Ice
I just do not understand how bad it can be to want to repeat a program for the third time.

I still think it was likely the wrong tempo for her to land the jumps........ That doesn't make it a bad programme, just an unworkable one.

evasorange

Final Flight
I just do not understand how bad it can be to want to repeat a program for the third time.

It's just so strange since she released that video about two/three months ago breaking down the creative process that went into the la la land program. She sounded so passionate and excited about the program and the small glimpses we got looked very promising. I just don't know what could have happened in the time since that video came out to make her want to go back to moulin rouge for the third time, since the program seems all but done in the video 😭

lanark

On the Ice
It's just so strange since she released that video about two/three months ago breaking down the creative process that went into the la la land program. She sounded so passionate and excited about the program and the small glimpses we got looked very promising. I just don't know what could have happened in the time since that video came out to make her want to go back to moulin rouge for the third time, since the program seems all but done in the video 😭
Yes, I was thinking the same thing.
Why go through all the work and even make a cute video about the whole thing and then ditch the program? So strange... It's like, wasted time. :(

I was excited for Ashley, but now I'm a little bumped. I understand skaters who recycle their programs but... Re-recycle? A bit too much no?

That reminded me, the "Full House" TV show here in my country was translated to a very common expression we have here: "three is too much".

Three is too much, Wagner.

😂

But hey, what can we do?
And what can she do right? If she really have gave up on LLL she must've had a good reason, so... I'll wait and see.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes, I was thinking the same thing.
Why go through all the work and even make a cute video about the whole thing and then ditch the program? So strange... It's like, wasted time. :(

I was excited for Ashley, but now I'm a little bumped. I understand skaters who recycle their programs but... Re-recycle? A bit too much no?

That reminded me, the "Full House" TV show here in my country was translated to a very common expression we have here: "three is too much".

Three is too much, Wagner.

😂

But hey, what can we do?
And what can she do right? If she really have gave up on LLL she must've had a good reason, so... I'll wait and see.

Champs Camp and program reviews in front of the fed happened, that's what. :sarcasm:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I still think it was likely the wrong tempo for her to land the jumps........ That doesn't make it a bad programme, just an unworkable one.

That's a possibility I hadn't thought of.

Alexa said in the Rinkside Reactions that she and Chris had gotten a lot of feedback and were "guided" to bring Ghost back. Since we haven't heard from Ashley herself, it's possible that she also got feedback and guidance in that direction. Maybe the folks at Champs camp felt Moulin Rouge would be the better vehicle for her for the Olympic year. Just speculating.

And actually, I agree 100% with the Ghost decision. It's a very powerful vehicle for Alexa/Chris, and I think it brings out their connection in a way none of their other programs have ever done. It's hard for me to imagine Chaplin being as effective.

It puts a different spin on the "repeat programs" decisions to hear that at least in one case, the fed intervened.

I also agree with the poster upthread who said he/she didn't think repeating programs was much different, and no worse than skating basically the identical choreography and jumps with everything in the same order, but switching up the music. If Ashley does go with Moulin Rouge, I expect Shae-Lynne will find a way to re-create some nuances and develop it in ways that will make it awesome.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That's a possibility I hadn't thought of.

Alexa said in the Rinkside Reactions that she and Chris had gotten a lot of feedback and were "guided" to bring Ghost back. Since we haven't heard from Ashley herself, it's possible that she also got feedback and guidance in that direction. Maybe the folks at Champs camp felt Moulin Rouge would be the better vehicle for her for the Olympic year. Just speculating.

And actually, I agree 100% with the Ghost decision. It's a very powerful vehicle for Alexa/Chris, and I think it brings out their connection in a way none of their other programs have ever done. It's hard for me to imagine Chaplin being as effective.

It puts a different spin on the "repeat programs" decisions to hear that at least in one case, the fed intervened.

I also agree with the poster upthread who said he/she didn't think repeating programs was much different, and no worse than skating basically the identical choreography and jumps with everything in the same order, but switching up the music. If Ashley does go with Moulin Rouge, I expect Shae-Lynne will find a way to re-create some nuances and develop it in ways that will make it awesome.

Hence what I posted right before you.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why go through all the work and even make a cute video about the whole thing and then ditch the program? So strange... It's like, wasted time.

And what can she do right? If she really have gave up on LLL she must've had a good reason,

I think so too.

As far as your 'wasted time' comment? I don't think so. Kaetlyn Osmond gave a great interview giving her reasons for returning to Edith Piaf. Basically, at the end of last season, she was tired of it and wanted to work on something new. So for 3 or 4 months, she worked hard on the new SP. She then received feedback that some folks (Canadian fed?) thought she should go back to last year's SP, since it was so well received and such a good fit for her. Hm. That sounds a lot like Ashley's tour de force also. :luv17:

So, Kaetlyn started practicing the Piaf number again, and she found that she'd fallen completely in love with it all over again. But she needed that three or four months of hard work on something else in between. All that work wasn't wasted. It makes a lot of sense to me.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hence what I posted right before you.

Hey! Cool. :cool14: But my post was mere speculation. You have much more of the insider's viewpoint. Anyway, I'm glad to hear it from you!:rock:

lanark

On the Ice
I think so too.

As far as your 'wasted time' comment? I don't think so. Kaetlyn Osmond gave a great interview giving her reasons for returning to Edith Piaf. Basically, at the end of last season, she was tired of it and wanted to work on something new. So for 3 or 4 months, she worked hard on the new SP. She then received feedback that some folks (Canadian fed?) thought she should go back to last year's SP, since it was so well received and such a good fit for her. Hm. That sounds a lot like Ashley's tour de force also. :luv17:

So, Kaetlyn started practicing the Piaf number again, and she found that she'd fallen completely in love with it all over again. But she needed that three or four months of hard work on something else in between. All that work wasn't wasted. It makes a lot of sense to me.
Yes, that's very true.
I think I've left my disappointment get ahead of my rational thoughts there. 😂
I was looking forward to see her skating LLL, competitively.
But anyway I'm sure she'll be fine. I'm rooting for her! :)

By the way, what will be her EX? LLL?

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, that's very true.
I think I've left my disappointment get ahead of my rational thoughts there. 😂
I was looking forward to see her skating LLL, competitively.
But anyway I'm sure she'll be fine. I'm rooting for her! :)

By the way, what will be her EX? LLL?

You and me both! Rooting for her 100%. I hope we do see LLL sometime. Alexa and Chris said they're going to bring the Chaplin program back ... then she rolled her eyes, because it means they're competing again next year, and she just revealed it. :))

I can see Ashley doing the same thing. She's just ornery enough not to retire, just because so many people expect her to. And I mean that as a compliment.:party:

lanark

On the Ice
You and me both! Rooting for her 100%. I hope we do see LLL sometime. Alexa and Chris said they're going to bring the Chaplin program back ... then she rolled her eyes, because it means they're competing again next year, and she just revealed it. :))

I can see Ashley doing the same thing. She's just ornery enough not to retire, just because so many people expect her to. And I mean that as a compliment.:party:
Hahaha! 😂

I don't want her to retire any time soon!
I hope she'll be the new Carolina Kostner! lol
Those two should keep skating at least till they're like, 50. 😂

Jokes aside, I'm excited for Ashley anyway. I hope she does well with whatever programs. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Laurine LECAVELIER FRA
SP: "Shining Silver Skies" by Ashram
FS: "Bye Bye Baby" from the Some Like It Hot soundtrack and "My Heart Belongs to Daddy," from the Let's Make Love soundtrack, both sung by Marilyn Monroe

She recently competed at Lombardia Trophy. Videos here:
Short Program, Free Skate

Warning: she includes the Monroe voiced introduction that her name is Lolita, and she is not allowed to play with boys.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
It's up on YouTube now. Unfortunately Paige had a poor performance. I don't think she's competing in a big competition again this year, until nationals.

Thanks for the heads up! I watched it - and yes, unfortunately too many mistakes; but I think that if skated better it would be a very effective program for her.

NicolettaL

Final Flight
So Polish Teams had a pre-season competition in Oświęcim.

Natalia Kaliszek/Maksim Spodiriev
SD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvUkUwFimI4&t=119s
FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcyPcbzRKDQ&t=25s
Watching them here you have to be aware that she suffered a "sligh concousion" at Monday training session, they completed SD on Friday, so theoreticaly she has banned by doctors movement that are ruining her balance.

Justyna Plutowska/Jeremie Flemin
SD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMxzVYUD-rc&t=13s

Iris81

On the Ice
I don't see this info on first page, so i guess it was not posted here? According to june's issue of Pirouette magazine music choices of Aljona Savchenko and Bruno Massot are:
SP: Flamenco "Spanish Flame" by Maxim Rodriguez
FP: "La terre vue du ciel" by Armand Amar

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hahaha! 😂

I don't want her to retire any time soon!
I hope she'll be the new Carolina Kostner! lol
Those two should keep skating at least till they're like, 50. 😂

Jokes aside, I'm excited for Ashley anyway. I hope she does well with whatever programs. :)

:agree: 100%.

Ashley's said, though, that competing is harder on her body every year. Caro has said she's skating for herself now. I'd love to see Ashley do the same ... let go of the 'do better' bug and keep skating with her awesome performance values.

A big difference between Ashley and Carolina is that Caro doesn't face the high level of competition at her Nationals as Ashley does. Her PC scores will always be high enough to keep sending her to International events, even if her level of technique isn't as high as it used to be. Stress is a big factor of competition. Caro doesn't have to deal with it to the same extent as US, Russian, Japanese, Canadian women do.

nimi

Medalist
I don't see this info on first page, so i guess it was not posted here? According to june's issue of Pirouette magazine music choices of Aljona Savchenko and Bruno Massot are (...)
Wait, so they disclosed that info already in JUNE?!?
Whoah. I had no idea.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Rumors are that she went to Champs Camp with MR not LLL.

You realize there are also reviews at their own rinks from time to time before and after CC, right?
Hence why my original post was stated the way it was: "CC and Fed feedback."