2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 79 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance

gmyers

Record Breaker
why is he banned when the russian committee just got reinstated- doesnt make senese, Im only wondering why they aren't listed in Worlds, unless they are trying to punish him in some unfair IOC invitation. This is totally unfair for S/B. With B/S also not competing, Russia might only get 1 spot for next worlds, lol Popova / Mozgoc or Sinitsina / Katsalapov with Zahorski / Guerrerio arent gonna do the maths for them.

I am pretty sure ROC reinstatement means Russia has total control over who represents Russia at Olympics so they will send s/b to Beijing if possible!

I knew b/s wasn’t going to worlds! They aren’t going just to place 6th or 7th! They would want a l/a worlds or p/b worlds or f/s worlds! A grand goodbye! Like c/l are probably getting:

Now the big question is can russia save two spots? Maybe as s/b have been in top 10. But they can’t make any mistakes and then Russia is down to one spot! Probably for the best so real reforms can be done and Russians can start learning about how to maximize ijs in 2018.

starla16

Medalist
I am pretty sure ROC reinstatement means Russia has total control over who represents Russia at Olympics so they will send s/b to Beijing if possible!

I knew b/s wasn’t going to worlds! They aren’t going just to place 6th or 7th! They would want a l/a worlds or p/b worlds or f/s worlds! A grand goodbye! Like c/l are probably getting:

Now the big question is can russia save two spots? Maybe as s/b have been in top 10. But they can’t make any mistakes and then Russia is down to one spot! Probably for the best so real reforms can be done and Russians can start learning about how to maximize ijs in 2018.

did I miss something so S/B are competing at Worlds ??? They will need to be in top 6 at least, possible with B/S, V/M and Shibs out ? but more medal chances for C/L.
Z/G can maybe make top 10. SinKats are no better than Z/G, so better go with Z/G at least they just competed at the Olympics and can gain a bit of political reputation.

gmyers

Record Breaker
did I miss something so S/B are competing at Worlds ??? They will need to be in top 6 at least, possible with B/S, V/M and Shibs out ? but more medal chances for C/L.
Z/G can maybe make top 10. SinKats are no better than Z/G, so better go with Z/G at least they just competed at the Olympics and can gain a bit of political reputation.

It was always assumed s/b would be at worlds by most. They were only banned from Olympics. So s/b are 9/11/10 at worlds. They could move upward in the 6-10 range with no mistakes with v/m and b/s officially out. But they can’t make any mistakes. No way are z/g in top 10.

Mattieu

Medalist
It was always assumed s/b would be at worlds by most. They were only banned from Olympics. So s/b are 9/11/10 at worlds. They could move upward in the 6-10 range with no mistakes with v/m and b/s officially out. But they can’t make any mistakes. No way are z/g in top 10.

B/S and V/M are not going, that puts S/B in 8th at least. (10th in 2017 Worlds)
B/S is replaced by S/B and V/M and H/K are not going that puts Z/G in 11th at least. (13th in the Olympics)

So sorry since you need less than 28 points to retain 2 spots gmyers, Russia will have no problem at all in keeping their 2 spots :clapper:

gmyers

Record Breaker
B/S and V/M are not going, that puts S/B in 8th at least. (10th in 2017 Worlds)
B/S is replaced by S/B and V/M and H/K are not going that puts Z/G in 11th at least. (13th in the Olympics)

So sorry since you need less than 28 points to retain 2 spots gmyers, Russia will have no problem at all in keeping their 2 spots :clapper:
That’s sad. I want reforms so they learn about what it takes to be successful in the current environment.

Mattieu

Medalist
That’s sad. I want reforms so they learn about what it takes to be successful in the current environment.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how well my babies S/B will do in these World championships gmyers :love:

They will be going as Russian no. 1s and will surprise everyone with a top 6 finish :love:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how well my babies S/B will do in these World championships gmyers :love:

They will be going as Russian no. 1s and will surprise everyone with a top 6 finish :love:

If they improve on their Euros result, I won't be surprised to see them even higher than that - but you never know.

gmyers

Record Breaker

That may be good for them but doesn’t change the whole state of the program. It would be just like b/s being top 6.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

The Shibs are skating, as are H/D and C/B
I'm guessing S/B will finish behind P/C, the Shibs, H/D, C/B, and C/L. So 6th ish?

Mattieu

Medalist
The Shibs are skating, as are H/D and C/B
I'm guessing S/B will finish behind P/C, the Shibs, H/D, C/B, and C/L. So 6th ish?

I'd take 6th, preparing for their breakout post Olympic season, where S/B challenge for Worlds medals!

I would love a worlds medal, even just cos it would so annoy gmyers

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I'd take 6th, preparing for their breakout post Olympic season, where S/B challenge for Worlds medals!

They need to have a strong showing in the SD, because it could put them in contention with C/B and C/L. It's not in Russia this time, so I don't expect any advantage over C/L, but they'll compete as Russia's number 1, in Europe, so that's got to serve for something.

gmyers

Record Breaker

B/s won a world medal it didn’t mean Russia didn’t have huge problems in its ice dance program. Clinging by a thread to any success rather than make changes so maybe a Russian team could actually be world or Olympic champion again!

Mattieu

Medalist
They need to have a strong showing in the SD, because it could put them in contention with C/B and C/L. It's not in Russia this time, so I don't expect any advantage over C/L, but they'll compete as Russia's number 1, in Europe, so that's got to serve for something.

I am expecting a big bump up for S/B these Worlds, I am so excited. :cheer:
I am secretly hoping for a bit of a sympathy factor too from the judges, and some sympathy generosity.

Unlike Gmyers, I think that the Russians have adjusted to the COP, all that is happening now is that it is a natural cycle, and it happens to be a low point at the moment.
I will bet that in a few years, Montreal will have peaked and another training centre will be the place to be, much as Shpilband is no longer the place to be, Zazoui is no longer the place to be, Linuchuk is no longer..... and the list goes on.
In fact the very time everyone wants to flock to a training centre, is the very time you should be leaving, as it shows it has peaked.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I think that the Russians have adjusted to the COP, all that is happening now is that it is a natural cycle, and it happens to be a low point at the moment.
I will bet that in a few years, Montreal will have peaked and another training centre will be the place to be, much as Shpilband is no longer the place to be, Zazoui is no longer the place to be, Linuchuk is no longer..... and the list goes on.
In fact the very time everyone wants to flock to a training centre, is the very time you should be leaving, as it shows it has peaked.

I think this is very valid, especially if we look at what teams are at the top - P/C and V/M were unreachable, but P/C were the first team from Gadbois that really soared to the top, and V/M were pretty much at the top four years ago already. All the other teams are in the same pack, but you gotta look at how many years it took for some of them to even get close to the podium - H/D for example - and how some of them slipped down the rankings - talking about W/P going on a slight downard spiral this cycle, and even C/B.

B/S were not the top team in Sochi, they lost a season and a half, but they held the number 1 while S/B matured. I think it's good that they got some years to find their way onto the top, and now they look much more like a top team. It depends on what they're going to show in the next years if they'll become podium worthy or not.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Russia could have made i/k Russian champions going into Sochi but they didn’t! And then I/k didn’t even win euros that year either because b/s was number one! Euros 2014 very interesting because no hint at all I/k would win Olympic bronze at all! That didn’t develop until team trophy in Sochi. At the Olympics!

Russia must move with the trends! Maybe not be exactly gadbois but certainly follow all the trends. Almost All the ice dance teams of Europe train in North America. Investigate the reasons. Why is Milan exploding?? Investigate the reasons. Why does no non Russian ice dancers want to train in Russia? Investigate the reasons!

Stepanova has been criticized for years for her incredible stiffness. Now that’s also going to be focused on much more. Even if she has improved she’s not top level. It’s too soon for her to be exposed as Russia number one. It’s a disaster in the making. Years of bobrova posture complainers becoming Stepanova stiffness complainers

Mattieu

Medalist
Why does no non Russian ice dancers want to train in Russia? Investigate the reasons!

Psst gmyers, the Spanish train in Moscow! ;)
If I am not mistaken, they are on their way to the top too!

Maybe teams should be following their lead as they are looking mighty successful to me.

That's 2 of my favourite teams on the rise who don't train in North America, H/K and S/B, so I think Russia is doing just fine!